IGNORED

ReadyNas or Synology

I am getting ready to buy a NAS to use as a music streamer over my home network. Please let me know your preference between ReadyNas and Synology. I am pretty much sold on getting a two bay unit with a dual processor.

Thanks

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I am getting ready to buy a NAS to use as a music streamer over my home network. Please let me know your preference between ReadyNas and Synology. I am pretty much sold on getting a two bay unit with a dual processor.

Thanks

FWIW, Chris C usually recommends Synology at seminars. I have no experience with ReadyNas, but I am very happy with my Synology DS213.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Thanks

Both are good. I have had several ReadyNas over the last five years or so and have no complaints.

A four drive unit will allow you to have RAID.

A four drive unit will allow you to have RAID.

You can get RAID with a two bay Synology.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Yes, but you need both drives to be of the same size, right? While with 4 drives you can gradually expand it by replacing the smaller one with a bigger one every time you need more space. Once you replace one drive with the other, the NAS will take care of everything. Check this out:

Synology Network Attached Storage - RAID Calculator

Actually, the default system used by Synology's software, SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), does not require that both drives be of the same size. You are not obliged to use SHR, however. Most people setting up a NAS do use identical drives in each bay.

Actually, the default system used by Synology's software, SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID), does not require that both drives be of the same size. You are not obliged to use SHR, however. Most people setting up a NAS do use identical drives in each bay.

I actually thought that applied only for 4 or more bays.

Thanks,

Nuno

I've got a 2 bay ReadyNAS and I'm happy with its performance. You don't need identical sized discs in RAID mode, though of course, you will only have the capacity of the smaller drive available. Mine recently survived a direct lightning strike. I mean DIRECT, as in huge bright blue flash in the end of the house. One of the drives ceased functioning, but the other drive and the NAS itself are still working fine.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein