IGNORED

Having fun with Cubox, next test is HQPlayer and NAA - some questions...

Folks, (and clearly this is more directed to Miska)...

Now that I have a cubox pro and have been having some fun (Voyage MPD, xbmc) I want to try out Miska's concept.

If I understood correctly, I will need to the following components:

- Ethernet in place - check!

- a windows computer with enough power - check (I guess I can use a HP laptop with Intel Core i5?).

- A NAA installation. Here I have greater doubts. Ok, I have a Cubox and a spare micro sd card. Now what?

1) Install debian wheezy...

2) Install NAA - how to do it? Easy?

Is there any "package" for cubox?

Do I need Debian wheezy?

What file should be downloaded?

Full of doubts...but willing to make the test..

Here are very short instructions, I'll try to come up with better ones at some point.

DISCLAIMER: This assumes you know what you are doing. All data on the computer/device will be lost.

Generic part giving overall guidance to reach correct type of base system. Debian, SolidRun and others provide more specific instructions.

1) Download "netinstall" image of Debian Wheezy (7.x) and boot from this image ("i386" for PC)

(1.5) On PC, select "Install", not the graphical one

2) Use manual partitioning and do not create any swap partition, only primary ext4 file system partition for mount point "/" with bootable flag

3) When "Software selection" list is shown, clear all selections, nothing is to be installed from this list

4) Once installation is complete and installed system is booted, login as "root"

ARM ("armhf" architecture; Beagle*, CuBox):

5) Perform following commands:

apt-get install libasound2 alsa-utils

wget
http://www2.signalyst.com/bins/naa/debian_wheezy/networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_armhf.deb

dpkg -i networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_armhf.deb

PC ("i386" architecture):

apt-get install linux-image-rt-686-pae libasound2 alsa-utils

wget
http://www2.signalyst.com/bins/naa/debian_wheezy/networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_i386.deb

dpkg -i networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_i386.deb

6) You now have optional realtime kernel to choose at boot time

That's it, you are done and can launch HQPlayer in network mode from Windows, Linux or Mac computer and it should find the NAA(s) and list all audio devices available behind each.

P.S. The site is trying to be a bit too clever and keeps editing things on it's own... :(

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi Miska!

Thanks a lot. I know that I will need at least a basic linux knowledge to do point 2) above, but will certainly try.

Good disclaimer (and no, I certainly do not know what I am doing at linux but I do it anyway and I will learn something on the process...which is part of the fun!).

• 4 weeks later...

4) Once installation is complete and installed system is booted, login as "root"

ARM ("armhf" architecture; Beagle*, CuBox):

apt-get install libasound2 alsa-utils

wget
http://www2.signalyst.com/bins/naa/debian_wheezy/networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_armhf.deb

dpkg -i networkaudiod_2.0.4-19_armhf.deb

6) You now have optional realtime kernel to choose at boot time

That's it, you are done and can launch HQPlayer in network mode from Windows, Linux or Mac computer and it should find the NAA(s) and list all audio devices available behind each.

P.S. The site is trying to be a bit too clever and keeps editing things on it's own... :(

Miska, sorry for the stupid and basic questions of a linux illiterate...

But I wonder if mubox is already a "Debian "Wheezy" 7.1 armhf." as stated here below:

Overview | Voyage MuBox

I that case, could I go directly to step 5 above?

Would love to test NAA an HQPlayer but need to simplify the process...

But I wonder if mubox is already a "Debian "Wheezy" 7.1 armhf." as stated here below:

Overview | Voyage MuBox

Yes, that should work fine. I have not tested it myself, but if it's based on Wheezy it is likely that it would work.

Based on earlier testing, networkaudiod can co-exist with mpd, as long as one doesn't try to use both simultaneously. (could possibly even work simultaneously to different DACs)

Note that there's now networkaudiod_2.0.5-20 available.

Overview | Voyage MuBox

Well, I moved a bit further, updated debian and manage to execute points 5 above...

also did "/etc/init.d/networkaudiod start"

But no signs of naa of hqplayer...

Well, I moved a bit further, updated debian and manage to execute points 5 above...

also did "/etc/init.d/networkaudiod start"

But no signs of naa of hqplayer...

When you start HQPlayer in Network Audio mode on Win/Linux (Mac version is always in network mode), it tells that it failed to open audio device and asks you to select one and the device list is empty?

Is the "networkaudiod" running in the box?

When you start HQPlayer in Network Audio mode on Win/Linux (Mac version is always in network mode), it tells that it failed to open audio device and asks you to select one and the device list is empty?

it's on windows, yes, I choosed hqplayer 3 network and ...the device list is empty..

Is the "networkaudiod" running in the box?

I am connected using putty, the cubox machine is up and with ip...how can I check that networkaudiod is running?

what I did was "/etc/init.d networkaudiod start", but with no message from the machine...

Thanks for your support!

Once installed networkaudiod is auto-started at boot time. Since it's a daemon process, it is disconnected from all terminals and thus has "?" as TTY.

Does "sudo aplay -l" list any audio devices?

Usually at least the CuBox internal Toslink output should appear, also over at the HQPlayer side.

Another possibility is that HQPlayer doesn't get response from the NAA machine at all. Possibilities for the reason include firewall software on Windows or some packet filtering in network device between the two.

...another possibility is to check if MuBox runs some firewall configuration with "iptables -L", if there's no firewall set up output should look like this:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Does "sudo aplay -l" list any audio devices?

"-l" is this the pipe character?

In that case, no result...

Usually at least the CuBox internal Toslink output should appear, also over at the HQPlayer side.

Another possibility is that HQPlayer doesn't get response from the NAA machine at all. Possibilities for the reason include firewall software on Windows or some packet filtering in network device between the two.

Could be, but I am not aware of any filtering...

I connected now directly on the switch...instead of wlan...no change!

Edit: yes, with "aply -l" I get result and "card 0: SPDIF [Kirkwood SPDIF], device 0: IEC958 Playback dit-hifi-0 []

...another possibility is to check if MuBox runs some firewall configuration with "iptables -L", if there's no firewall set up output should look like this:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

correct, that was the result...

Could be, but I am not aware of any filtering...

I connected now directly on the switch...instead of wlan...no change!

Edit: yes, with "aply -l" I get result and "card 0: SPDIF [Kirkwood SPDIF], device 0: IEC958 Playback dit-hifi-0 []

OK, now I would say that only PC side issues are left. If you have some firewall software on PC side you could check if it allows HQPlayer to communicate without restrictions. Other than that it is really hard to guess what goes wrong...

OK, now I would say that only PC side issues are left. If you have some firewall software on PC side you could check if it allows HQPlayer to communicate without restrictions. Other than that it is really hard to guess what goes wrong...

I guess I could try another PC...going for another install, not sure if is allowed (my trial is ending).