IGNORED

Sony releases original mono remasters of Miles Davis (57-64)

No, per the PR, vinyl is on the way, too...... ; )

With the exception of 3, all have been available on vinyl, no great revelations to be had (there is a reason the stereo have been in print for 50 years + !!), of those Jazz Tracks is inessential, Miles & Monk is a misnomer and the Miles part is an ok live performance, Kind Of Blue might be interesting - but in truth, the stereo is an excellent recording and I doubt the mono will be that interesting.

With the exception of 3, all have been available on vinyl, no great revelations to be had (there is a reason the stereo have been in print for 50 years + !!), of those Jazz Tracks is inessential, Miles & Monk is a misnomer and the Miles part is an ok live performance, Kind Of Blue might be interesting - but in truth, the stereo is an excellent recording and I doubt the mono will be that interesting.

I disagree completely. The mono mixes were the original mixes that everyone involved worked on and, to me, sound the best. Many remixed for stereo versions of recordings up through the mid-60s have a very unnatural sound to my ears and to hear the mono versions has been an eye-opening experience.

The Sony/Legacy Record Store Day reissues have been very nice so far but the same albums that have been trickling out of MoFi lately have been superior, both on SACD and vinyl.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

• 2 weeks later...
If you can not stomach Michael Fremer, then skip it, but there is some interesting (to me) info/opinion here.....Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Monophonic Reissue From Sony/Legacy: An Analog Planet Exclusive! | Analog Planet

Well, the KOB mono vinyl will be out on the annual Black Friday RSD cash grab, and I will buy it. Like I said earlier, I am sure it will be interesting, but at this stage late in the day, probably no huge revelations. I also find the MOFI Miles much, much better - much more realistic tonally. Mono or not, I can't see the mono KOB exceeding what MOFI has been achieving, and as I have all the previously released Miles mono reissues from Sony, I can say that in my opinion regardless of the mono vs stereo debate, again the MOFI tonality is very much superior and vastly preferable.

Mono or not, I can't see the mono KOB exceeding what MOFI has been achieving, and as I have all the previously released Miles mono reissues from Sony, I can say that in my opinion regardless of the mono vs stereo debate, again the MOFI tonality is very much superior and vastly preferable.

That I can agree with! I'm hoping Mikey's got his facts wrong and that the upcoming MoFi 2x45 KOB is mono and not stereo.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W