IGNORED

The Clash Sound System

Blake

If you are a fan of The Clash, a pretty cool new boxed set is to be released Sept. 9. Love the Boombox design! Includes the 5 studio albums, remastered by The Clash and other assorted bits and bobs.

The cut out video is pretty funny as well:

http://www.theclash.com/gb/news/2013-05-21/sound-system-cut-out-show

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

The box is cool. The bad side is these records has been reedited, remastered, revised and restored in multiples editions, ad infinitum. Anyway, the songs here are totally out of doubt/suspect. "London calling" or "Sandinista" are good examples of Music That Really Matters. A 16 years old guy could discover them and probably change a thing or two about his/her life...

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

I won't be buying it as I already own all the studio albums, but if I was a bloke looking to discover The Clash, this would be a good place to start.

Joe
Strummer
- Punk Rock Warlord

(12 Aug. 1952 - 22 Dec. 2002)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

These are worth buying for the sonic upgrade. I picked the little box with just the 5 albums.

Are you sure about that? I think I'd rather stick with the early first issues.

It is very rare these days to see any re-release, reissue, remaster better the originals.

2013 Box Set

DR Database

DR Database

DR Database

The Clash

DR Database

London Calling

DR Database

Sandinista

DR Database

DR Database

Combat Rock

DR Database

Even the 1991 singles album which contains most of their hits looks better:

DR Database

Are you sure about that? I think I'd rather stick with the early first issues.

It is very rare these days to see any re-release, reissue, remaster better the originals.

2013 Box Set

DR Database

DR Database

DR Database

The Clash

DR Database

London Calling

DR Database

Sandinista

DR Database

DR Database

Combat Rock

DR Database

Even the 1991 singles album which contains most of their hits looks better:

DR Database

Absolutely sure. The only way thing the earlier CDs have going for them is that they are not compressed. The new ones would be better without the additional compression, but the quality of transfer is far superior and easily heard.

Combat Rock, however, probably could sound a bit harsh on the some systems.

I have compared a number of my favorite bands, and only rarely found the original CD to be the best.

Beatles, Black Sabbath, Clash, Smiths, Roxy Music, King Crimson, Zappa, are all better on recent remasters. I prefer certain originals for Hendrix, Dire Straits, and the Kinks. Some end up very close such as Queen (pick your poison), Pink Floyd, T. Rex.

I can safely say that the superior sound of a better transfer on the new CDs outweighs the unfortunate effect of added compression. Since, if for no other reason, all previous Clash CDs pretty much sucked. The new vinyl may be a better alternative. Hopefully, the extra compression is MIA.

Absolutely sure. The only way thing the earlier CDs have going for them is that they are not compressed. The new ones would be better without the additional compression, but the quality of transfer is far superior and easily heard.

Combat Rock, however, probably could sound a bit harsh on the some systems.

I have compared a number of my favorite bands, and only rarely found the original CD to be the best.

Beatles, Black Sabbath, Clash, Smiths, Roxy Music, King Crimson, Zappa, are all better on recent remasters. I prefer certain originals for Hendrix, Dire Straits, and the Kinks. Some end up very close such as Queen (pick your poison), Pink Floyd, T. Rex.

I can safely say that the superior sound of a better transfer on the new CDs outweighs the unfortunate effect of added compression. Since, if for no other reason, all previous Clash CDs pretty much sucked. The new vinyl may be a better alternative. Hopefully, the extra compression is MIA.

Well, now you've got me curious. Maybe I should give these other copies a try. I normally use DR as my primary guide, but maybe need to rethink.

Well, now you've got me curious. Maybe I should give these other copies a try. I normally use DR as my primary guide, but maybe need to rethink.

Maybe you could grab the newest greatest hits package and see if the sound is to your liking. I believe it is the same mastering.

I would offer up the latest Smith remasters as the closest in approach, though those seem to have a bit of gloss to them that I am not hearing on the Clash remasters.