IGNORED

Santana: Abraxas - HDTracks

Yes, I know there is a thread on this album on the other forum http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/santana-abraxas-hd-tracks-14820/

Visit that thread if you are interested in audacity plots.

This is probably one of my best sounding hires downloads, period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Santana / Abraxas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR10 -2.29 dB -17.19 dB 4:51 01-Singing Winds, Crying Beasts

DR11 -1.30 dB -15.92 dB 5:20 02-Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen

DR12 -1.40 dB -15.63 dB 4:18 03-Oye Como Va

DR10 -1.46 dB -14.60 dB 5:00 04-Incident At Neshabur

DR11 -1.74 dB -14.89 dB 2:52 05-Se A Cabo

DR11 -0.15 dB -14.24 dB 4:29 06-Mother's Daughter

DR10 -2.60 dB -15.73 dB 4:48 07-Samba Pa Ti

DR12 -0.55 dB -15.52 dB 4:12 08-Hope You're Feeling Better

DR12 -1.57 dB -18.12 dB 1:43 09-El Nicoya

DR10 -2.09 dB -15.36 dB 3:48 10-Se A Cabo

DR11 -1.88 dB -14.77 dB 4:53 11-Toussaint L'Overture

DR10 -1.75 dB -14.28 dB 4:57 12-Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen

Number of tracks: 12

Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 176400 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 6400 kbps

Codec: FLAC

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

I find myself spending more time looking for well recorded music, and not caring as much about Audacity plots and such anymore. This is one of them, and miles above the used CD version I picked up just so I could compare.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Totally agree...! And the SACD version also (PS3 ripped)

Roch

The SACD version IS the HD Tracks version - just that the HDT has been converted to PCM.

That SACD, at least the DSD rip I have of it, sounds fantastic.

But still, it is hard to claim either as "best" without having experience of the whole landscape - the best version I have is actually the MOFI vinyl. But I am hard pressed to say the DSD is inferior by much.

- the best version I have is actually the MOFI vinyl.

I too, have the 200 gm black dinner plate version.

It is one of the V best sounding pieces of music I have regardless of the format.

But after all these years, I just do not seem to get as excited by this work as I used to.

I think I will have to revisit it this weekend & see if anything has changed yet again......

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

The SACD version IS the HD Tracks version - just that the HDT has been converted to PCM.

That SACD, at least the DSD rip I have of it, sounds fantastic.

But still, it is hard to claim either as "best" without having experience of the whole landscape - the best version I have is actually the MOFI vinyl. But I am hard pressed to say the DSD is inferior by much.

The problem Robert is that are several versions.

The CD version I have is MFSL from 2008. The previous one is not so interesting (for my ears).

The SACD I own, I believe is the only issued in this format and I found it unlistenable (to my ears, again): Harsh sound, no bass and inferior midrange.

I guess I own the LP, but it's a long time I don't listen to this medium (I don't want to make any comparison between digital & analogue).

Roch

The problem Robert is that are several versions.

The CD version I have is MFSL from 2008. The previous one is not so interesting (for my ears).

The SACD I own, I believe is the only issued in this format and I found it unlistenable (to my ears, again): Harsh sound, no bass and inferior midrange.

I guess I own the LP, but it's a long time I don't listen to this medium (I don't want to make any comparison between digital & analogue).

Roch

That is what I said, you cannot really claim 'best' without hearing the whole range of options. I had the first MFSL CD for many years and easily the newer version is better, it should be as MOFI's mastering chain had completely changed (for the better) in the interim.

The vinyl from MOFI is better. No surprise there.

The SACD was actually issued twice, once domestically, the other a Japanese single layer. I have them both, but I would have to check if they are the same, which is likely.

I have to admit, I don't go to Abraxas anymore, it is a great record but I am pretty worn out on it at this point.

I complete agree.. the MFSL UDCD 775 the best of all the ones I have (around 5)

CD.jpg

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

I put the Black Pie on the TT last evening......

I found it surprisingly enjoyable.

Whether personal mood, or other psycho-conditional conditions were at work, I found the album quite enjoyable.

The sophisticated compositions performed by the V accomplished musicians seem to have withstood the passing of many years quite well.

The recording & format are still impeccable in comparison to anything in any format from my entire library.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!