IGNORED

New 2.0 active speaker setup

I've always been a headphone guy due to roommates and complaining neighbors, but I'm now in a situation where I can finally play around with speaker setups.

I don't have the biggest space and would like to stick to active speakers for now.

So far I've looked at the following:

• Emotiva airmotiv4/5
  • Swan H4
  • Swan T200b
  • Adam A3x
  • Swan M200MKIII (Out of stock everywhere)
  • AudioEngine A5+

I've pretty much ruled out the A5+ as I've read that the airmotiv4 is a much better buy.

So really at this point it's come down to the A3x, airmotiv4/5, H4 and T200b.

The T200b is the priciest of all these options, with the A3x a close second.

I haven't found any concrete reviews of either the H4 or the T200b, but have read only good things about both of them. The H4 has the least amount of info that I could find, anyone with any experience with them?

Does anyone have experience with any of these speakers? Is the jump up in price to the A3x or T200b worth the extra cost over the H4 or airmotiv4/5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Also very interested in this space - everything from ATC to pro audio monitors from Genelec and the like : also interested in so-called 'lifestyle' options like the Focal Bird and Dynaudio Xeo. Lots of info on Sweetwater's site and increasingly in more hobbyist-specific sites. Not sure if I can link a possible CA competitor, but the OP may be interested in this review:

Focal Professional Solo6 Be | AudioStream

Lavorgna's focus is very much on gear for apartment dwellers, and that suits me to a 'T' :D

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I am not sure what budget is being considered but Dynaudio Focus 110A powered monitors can be had for a substantial discount ($2500 down to $1495). The Focus series of drivers is a step up from the Dynaudio Excite line which is what their Xeo wireless speakers are based on but they run about $2300 with the wireless transmitter and they have limitations I believe of 16/48 files.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I've always been a headphone guy due to roommates and complaining neighbors, but I'm now in a situation where I can finally play around with speaker setups.

I don't have the biggest space and would like to stick to active speakers for now.

So far I've looked at the following:

• Emotiva airmotiv4/5
  • Swan H4
  • Swan T200b
  • Adam A3x
  • Swan M200MKIII (Out of stock everywhere)
  • AudioEngine A5+

I've pretty much ruled out the A5+ as I've read that the airmotiv4 is a much better buy.

So really at this point it's come down to the A3x, airmotiv4/5, H4 and T200b.

The T200b is the priciest of all these options, with the A3x a close second.

I haven't found any concrete reviews of either the H4 or the T200b, but have read only good things about both of them. The H4 has the least amount of info that I could find, anyone with any experience with them?

Does anyone have experience with any of these speakers? Is the jump up in price to the A3x or T200b worth the extra cost over the H4 or airmotiv4/5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What's your budget? Do you have a DAC?

I have the Adam A3x's and love them. Perfect for my little corner listening area. Rather unforgiving speakers though, if your source isn't up to par, they will let you know.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

At work, I have the AudioEngine A5+. You've ruled them out on price, but I endorse their quality and performance. I have thoroughly enjoyed them. I have spent hours after work in my office (when I should have been heading home) just because I was having fun listening to music on these speakers.

I'm now in the market for a new set of speakers or some type of table-top system for a second computer of mine. I could just buy a pair of "computer speakers," like a set from logitech. But I'd like to get something with a little more sophisticated audiophile-endorsed sound. For variety sake, I won't buy another set of AudioEngine speakers, but I don't know what I'll get out. For another idea, check out the recent review from Chris of the Peachtree Deepblue. I will check this out when a store in my area gets it in stock. It's only $400.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.