IGNORED

Your speaker setup?

Please choose what best describes your current*main*system. Note: multiple choice poll.  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose the "full range" option, as I have a pair of Zu Audio Essence speakers. In reality, they do have a cap helping the tweeter not see low frequencies, so I guess I have the crossover after the amplifier setup.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 3 weeks later...

None of the above, I think, but fully active basically, I guess.

Passive "full range" drivers married with active subs. The subs receive the signal from the binding posts and utilize adjustable crossovers.

• 3 weeks later...

Dahlquist DQ-10 system (late 70's) DQ-10 speakers, DQ-LP1 cross over, DQ-DW1 subs.

Passive Mains, x-over before amps (section in cross-over passive). amps = tube mono blocks

multiple subs

passive subs, x-over before amp (section in cross-over active). amp = stereo solid state

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Active 3 ways crossing around 60 HZ to a sub. DRC/crossover blending it all together. Or 2ways to sub. Sometimes passive 3 ways with sub and DRC.

Having a DRC/crossover helps with room and speaker issues.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Full range driver (Audax) in a sealed box, but it is going in a Voight pipe that is desktop sized if the maths is right it should have an F3 of 50hz (ish). Alas do not have the room for a big set of speakers so have to use near field monitors.

Custom design 4 way fully DSP active crossovers.

x-over 4.2k > power amplifier 6 watt class A tubes (6L6)

x-over 800Hz - 4.2k power amplifier 30 watt Push / Pull tubes (EL34)

x-over 100Hz - 800Hz power amplifier zero feedback A/B transistor

x-over 100Hz < amplifier linear power supply class D

all crossovers greater than 60dB/Oct and linear phase. room correction only below 100Hz.

most common comments about the sound are,

Awesome detail. You could hear everything that you’d imagine would be in the recording.

Outstanding resolution/separation. No worries there about things being meshed up. Every layer of the mix is clearly defined and separated.

Incredible dynamics. Small 3-inch Mid and 7-inch Mid / Bass drivers… really? Massive.

Apparent distortion or non-linearity would seem to be zero.

Mac Mini, Sonicweld, DEQX HDP-4 x 2, 6L6 single-ended (tweeter amp), 4 channel DBA-1 no feedback bi-pol 80w (Mid & Mid-Bass amp) 500w Powerphysic D-class (Bass) Speakers custom 4 way active.

• 2 months later...

I have an unusual configuration; a passive line-level crossover ahead of my main speakers and an active crossover ahead of my subs. The BESL S-5 MTM main speakers also run through their internal crossover, 2kHz LR4.

The line-level passive crossover (Marchand XM44) rolls the mains off below 70Hz, BW2. This slope combines with the sealed mains' natural 12dB roll-off below system resonance, for a 24dB/octave acoustic filter. The subs come in below 70 Hz @ 24dB/octave through a Marchand XM46 active crossover. I consider this system a passive-active 3-way, not a sub-satellite system, because there is a perfect LR4 crossover between subs and mains. Most sub-satellite systems do not implement a proper crossover (frequency, slope, phase).

I tried many configurations over a two-year period, including:

1. Fully active. I was never happy with the XM44 active crossover working full-range. It is not as transparent as my Meitner amps and preamp.

2. Main speakers running full range, with the subs rolled in at 50 Hz BW2 to match the mains' natural rolloff. This was a very transparent system, but the 6.5" mid-woofers were straining at high power levels.

The Marchand XM46 PLLXO consists of a large coil to ground, and a pair of generic capacitors in line with the load. I changed out the two cheap caps for a single Audiocap and it was a distinct improvement. I cannot hear any compromise in the mids or highs due to the XM46. I can most definitely hear the effects of freeing the mids from reproducing the bass. The system maintains composure and low distortion even when playing as loud as I care to listen.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

I made a mistake. My wife started talking to me and I selected the wrong one. I can’t fix it. My speakers are Passive main speakers X-over after amps. Sorry for skewing your statistics.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps