IGNORED

An Ear for Music

Stephen Mejias wrote recently in the January issue of Stereophile of being thoroughly drawn in, transported I emotionally absorbed by the music while listening on a pair of $40 Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers. A report which garnered him interesting evaluation relative to his credential & suitability as a legitimate audio critic. Just how can one be taken seriously by hard-core audio enthusiasts when one says the could enjoy what would be considered the equivalent of two tin cans & a piece of string?

So just who is it that is missing the point here?

I have had a pair of the B652's for years. We use them in our lab at work partnered with a little $40 Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital Mini 15 WPC Amp fed via PC & a portable 1/2 gig HD. & for X-mass this year, I purchased the same speakers & amp for my daughter who recently moved to into her new apartment. The fresh reports from The Wife confirm the V same responese as when she first listened to her 'new' system. It has been a while since I saw my daughter so enthralled & excited over anything as she thanked me yet again last week when I too was again impressed by her 'stereo'. In fact, I may have felt a twinge of envy. She may be obtaining far more enjoyment from her system than I do my own!

So now you tell me....which of us is the audiophile & who is the pretentious claimant?

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

It could be one of those freak things where somehow a synergistic relationship was reached between the box and the speaker. Each component is nothing on its own but in this case it just could be that the box is perfect for the speaker. Maybe over analysing in this particular instance might give you nothing.

As for a reputable reviewer singing their praises, respect to him for being honest even though his credibility could be questioned.

I personally would probably follow this chap moreso than previously given his blatant honesty and transparencey.

That being said i have never heard these speakers.

I still want to hear those speakers.... I'm thinking for $30 those would make a great "3rd" system for out in the garage... hee hee...

Plus that would be a nice little setup out there and only turn on when out there. Then just have to run cable out to there and make it an extra zone. hmmmm.... or of course (which I wish it had) find a small little T amp and have those as the speakers for in the bedroom.... Ideas Ideas.

I'm going to buy 100 pairs of these, file off the Parts Express serial numbers, rebrand them with some cutesy but irrelevant name based on some sort of obscure quantum electrodynamic effect, dip the speaker binding posts in liquid nitrogen, and charge $8K for them.

Then all the snobs will crow about how wonderful they are.

There's a lot to be said for a small system when it works right. I have a 20w mini-T amp and a pair of £16.00 ($25.00) Celestion 5 speakers I bought SH from eBay for near-field listening, the pleasure this system gives is far beyond what it cost me and I often spend hours at my desk listening and don't fire up my main system at all. Those little mini-T amps and the right speakers can sound very superb - seems like those Dayton's fit a T amp well Bill :)

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

I'm going to buy 100 pairs of these, file off the Parts Express serial numbers, rebrand them with some cutesy but irrelevant name based on some sort of obscure quantum electrodynamic effect, dip the speaker binding posts in liquid nitrogen, and charge $8K for them.

Then all the snobs will crow about how wonderful they are.

Good stuff! I think this is indeed what many brand manufacturers really do

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

I'm the dang snob who paid $99 for a pair of Pioneer speakers (also well reviewed in a couple of audio publications) for my desktop system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have seen ca. $1K speakers that are simply nice cabinets and mounts for speaker parts from Parts Express. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it gives me some hope for a future DIY project

Let me know when you're ready!.....it's become my favorite hobby of all time.