IGNORED

Active Speaker recommendations that are better than Audioengine A5+

If you get the chance, try to get your hands (and yours ears) on a pair of Neumann KH120s

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks guys. The Beumann I am not sure I will be able to locate.

The KEF looks appeal. But I cannot see that they do an active version?

LS50

I also cannot see any information about the Vinatoo? Who is this made by?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

I know the Xeo3 does have it too, but honestly I didnt think they were much better than the A5+! (And maybe based on that I should just get the A5+. At that price they can always be relegated as a second set one day in another room or something! Or to my son or daughter (not born, not even pregnant!)

EDIT: Whoops, the A5+ doesn't have a Dac either

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

I know the Xeo3 does have it too, but honestly I didnt think they were much better than the A5+! (And maybe based on that I should just get the A5+. At that price they can always be relegated as a second set one day in another room or something! Or to my son or daughter (not born, not even pregnant!)

EDIT: Whoops, the A5+ doesn't have a Dac either

You were able to hear the Xeo3 and A5+ side by side? If you did not hear a distinct difference then yes get the A5+ but I am surprised.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Side by side yeah - the downside is that the source in each case was mp3 from an ipod! All I really noticed with the Xeo3 was more bass, rounder, and slightly punchier. They were better, but given how cheap the A5+ are I was shocked!

Side by side yeah - the downside is that the source in each case was mp3 from an ipod! All I really noticed with the Xeo3 was more bass, rounder, and slightly punchier. They were better, but given how cheap the A5+ are I was shocked!

I will just tell you this and this doesn't negate your own experience. I heard these on a real nice system with a quality music server source when I wanted powered monitors and they were outstanding in comparison but the price is quite steep (very steep in comparison to the A5+) and I opted for the Dynaudio Focus 110A. You should also note that the DAC in the XEO are limited and will not play high resolution files. This may be a consideration with any DAC built in to a speaker but I don't know that to be true for a fact.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Honestly if that was available in the UK I'd buy it today. But I emailed them and sadly it is a US only product. I do wonder if we are at a cross roads with audio equipment - where the monopoly of the old guard are falling, and when everyone realises its just a circuitboard and a bit of manufacturing. There is no other explanation for how they are able to make such good stuff so cheap.

So the Focus were better or worse than the Xeo3? I forget but aren't the Xeo just an amped version of a much cheaper Dynaudio speaker?

Lack of high res is no bother for me as I dont buy into it.

Honestly if that was available in the UK I'd buy it today. But I emailed them and sadly it is a US only product. I do wonder if we are at a cross roads with audio equipment - where the monopoly of the old guard are falling, and when everyone realises its just a circuitboard and a bit of manufacturing. There is no other explanation for how they are able to make such good stuff so cheap.

Check these out! Not sure if they will deliver to the UK.

The Vanatoo Transparent One is at home in any discerning system."Connectivity" seems to be the word of the new millennium and the Vanatoos can be connected any way imaginable, from wireless to Bluetooth, USB, digital, analog, SPDIF...Got a device? These will make them sing beautifully. Their flexibility and all-in-one capability with very few flaws both sonically and operationally lend themselves to a second system, a high rez desktop system, a primary music system in an apartment, and even as studio monitors based on their neutral characteristic and resolving power. They are easy to use, and truly are what I would consider High Fidelity. Sure, they do not hit the bottom 1.5 octave, but then again, not many speakers do, including many floorstanders. So to that I say well done Vanatoo! I look forward to seeing more products in the future!

Because of it's amazing self-powered sound quality as well as it's unparalleled connectivity at a price that

would be unbelievable if we hadn't verified it, we enthusiastically give the Vanatoo Transparent One

our rare Max mojo award.

$499 a pair.

Feature Overview

Four input options

Analog input (direct connection to your player´s headphone jack)

3 digital inputs: USB audio, TOSLINK® optical, and Coax

60 watts per channel D2Audio® Class D amplifier with integrated Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for superb sound, exceptional frequency response, and high efficiency

Smooth and extended frequency response - 49 to 20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB

Patented 5 ¼ inch XBL™ woofer for deep bass and clear midrange

1 inch silk dome tweeter for smooth, sweet highs

Custom long-excursion passive radiator for extended bass response

Volume, treble, and bass controls lets you adjust the sound to your liking

Left/Right switch lets you select the position of the active speaker for proper stereo imaging

Convenient auxiliary AC power out connector for your Apple Airport Express other powered device

Optional subwoofer output (and we mean optional!) with automatic subwoofer sensing and crossover switching

Automatic low power sleep mode consumes less than a standard nightlight

Real cherry wood veneer in black or hand rubbed natural stain

Compact size - 6 1/2" W x 10" H x 8 1/8" D

Thick, ¾ inch resonance-free MDF cabinet for better acoustical characteristics

Ships with the following cables:

AC power cord

3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable (plugs into headphone jack)

3.5 mm to RCA "Y" cable

Speaker wire

Vanatoo

xeo is based on the excite x12, while the focus 110a is the active version of the focus 110a. the focus range is just above the excite range, i believe both are the entry models in their respective lines

the dac/transmitter on the xeo is limited to 48kHz so hires gets downsampled, thats the main reason i went for the focus since i was getting into hires audio downloads. plus after discounts price difference is not that much

I'm not sure if the old guard is falling, but I do know how Vanatoo was "able to make good stuff so cheap." The two main Vanatoo principals (I am one) have ~60 years of engineering design/manufacturing/management experience in the high-tech world. We leveraged that experience, our love of music, and 4 years of hard work to put together the design and manufacturing of the Transparent One. The reasonable price was made possible mostly by our "factory direct" business model. Unfortunately for zenpmd we won't be able to expand to the UK until we grow a bit more here in our home market. But rest assured, we're working on it!

I'm not sure if the old guard is falling, but I do know how Vanatoo was "able to make good stuff so cheap." The two main Vanatoo principals (I am one) have ~60 years of engineering design/manufacturing/management experience in the high-tech world. We leveraged that experience, our love of music, and 4 years of hard work to put together the design and manufacturing of the Transparent One. The reasonable price was made possible mostly by our "factory direct" business model. Unfortunately for zenpmd we won't be able to expand to the UK until we grow a bit more here in our home market. But rest assured, we're working on it!

Good going. Keep it up!