IGNORED

Resampling with foobar2000

Mr.Y

Have you tried resampling with foobar2000?

I've discovered this function some days ago and the changes are clearly audible.

I can't find any simple explanation about the differences between the most popular resamplers - PPHS (which is built in foobar2k) and the SSRC X resampler. Which is theretically better?

To my ears PPHS at 96khz + ultra mode is the best - makes the sound fuller, meatier and with slight analog-like roll-off in the treble.

JRMC+Fidelizer-->AudioQuest Cinnamon Firewire-->Weiss DAC202U-->Arcam P49-->PSB Synchrony One

there is a special version of the secret Rabbit code resampler. but it's not the one you will find on their homepage, it's an older one a bit difficult to find.

i have it included in my audiophile win8 project... -> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/iso-usb-key-installer-preconfigured-and-stripped-down-audiophile-version-windows-8-pro-including-jriver-and-foobar-14390/

www.highend-audiopc.com | [email protected]

Sample rate converter comparison tests are available at SRC Comparisons .

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 5 months later...
Can anyone explain how to read the values at SRC Comparisons? Sure I can understand the ones with a target value but for the graphical ones like the sweep tests here, what do we look for? one solid curve with a black background or one with all the fine lines still intact?[h=1][/h]

Click the help-link on the page for instructions. But here's really condensed one...

Sweep:

Check that there's no frequency content below 20 kHz after sweep has reached 22 kHz point at around 5 sec, so after that point 0 - 20 kHz range should be black.

1 kHz tone:

Check that there's only a single peak at 1 kHz and nothing else. If there's something, check how high levels of those other peaks are and if they indicate harmonics of 1 kHz.

Passband:

Check that frequency response is flat to around 20 kHz.

Transition:

Check that the response drops outside of the figure by 24.1 kHz, there should be absolutely nothing above that frequency.

Phase:

You can see the phase response, for linear phase it is straight line. For others you can see if the filter is minimum phase or some variant between the two.

Impulse:

Check for a short as possible impulse response. At least ringing should stay within the graph.

It is easy to make a "perfect" filter if one doesn't consider impulse length (amount of time-domain smear) at all. Making it very short while having all the other parts excellent at the same time is challenging.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

So would you say that SSRC is a decent free resampler? After 5 on SSRC theres not much info so far as the sweep is concerned but it is blue instead of black. Anyway, What would you recommend is the most accurate free resampler that one can use in real time for a music player like foobar for instance.

SoX is a very good, free, open source resampler available as foobar plugin as well. A new resampler DSP for foobar2000 - Hydrogenaudio Forums

http://www.premiermixing.com

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> Luxman L-410 -> Rubicon RP63F

SqueezeBox Touch / MacBook Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Firewire -> Mytek Stereo192-DSD -> GAC1 Pro -> DIY Headphone Amp -> Beyerdynamic T70 / AKG K500 / Sennheiser HD540 / Shure SRH840

Mac Pro -> Audirvana Plus -> Lynx AES16 -> Lynx CBL-AES1605 -> Lynx Aurora -> Mogami 2932 XLR -> M-Audio EX66

SoX 99% passband setting is a bit too much, impulse response becomes too long and it causes slightly muddy sound.

Default bandwidth setting (95%) produces better sound.

SoX webpage has a FAQ and it has a brief article for parameter settings.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 5 months later...
So would you say that SSRC is a decent free resampler?

It surely is more than decent.

For John Philipps ssrc is the clear winner, compared to sr-convert, sox, sndfile-resample (libsamplerate), audacity and resampaudio (afsp).

Klaus (aka soundcheck) prefers sox over ssrc. He published some interesting comparisons between the two, especially with regards to ringing artifacts which SRC Comparisons from Infinitewave lacks.

I published packages (debs) for installing ssrc on Ubuntu and Debian, so could easily try ssrc yourself.

Regards,

Ronald

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and Happy New Year!

I tried the SOX 0.8.3 with my foobar2000 1.1.15 and 1.2.9, but it not works. The "console" screen not shows.

I also tried the the built in Resampler PPHS and it is not working either.

I tried the SSRCX and it works correctly.

Could somebody tell me what is the problem with the SoX and the PPHS Resampler???? Are they not compatible with newer foobars?

Tyimo

Tyimo, you already knew the answer! Your assumption in your last sentence (highlighted) was correct.

Sox is compatible with foobar from version 1.0 onward. Update you foobar and all will be well!

Hi and Happy New Year!

I tried the SOX 0.8.3 with my foobar2000 1.1.15 and 1.2.9, but it not works. The "console" screen not shows.

I also tried the the built in Resampler PPHS and it is not working either.

I tried the SSRCX and it works correctly.

Could somebody tell me what is the problem with the SoX and the PPHS Resampler???? Are they not compatible with newer foobars?

Tyimo

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

Matthew

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

Tyimo, you already knew the answer! Your assumption in your last sentence (highlighted) was correct.

Sox is compatible with foobar from version 1.0 onward. Update you foobar and all will be well!

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

Matthew

Hi Matthew!

Thanks, but I am not realy understanding you. You wrote "Sox is compatible with foobar from version 1.0", but I use foobar 1.1.15 and 1.2.9, versions. They are over the 1.0, but it does not work. what should I update in foobar?? To the last 1.3 version???

Greets:

Tyimo

Hi Matthew!

Thanks, but I am not realy understanding you. You wrote "Sox is compatible with foobar from version 1.0", but I use foobar 1.1.15 and 1.2.9, versions. They are over the 1.0, but it does not work. what should I update in foobar?? To the last 1.3 version???

Greets:

Tyimo

SoX Resampler component (regular one as well as 2 modded ones) works just fine with foobar2000 v.1.2.x & 1.3.x (you may need to unzip the component packages prior to adding them to earlier foobar2000 releases). Don't forget to add the desired Sox Resampler(s) to your DSP list.

SoX Resampler component (regular one as well as 2 modded ones) works just fine with foobar2000 v.1.2.x & 1.3.x (you may need to unzip the component packages prior to adding them to earlier foobar2000 releases). Don't forget to add the desired Sox Resampler(s) to your DSP list.

Hi!

Ofcourse it is unziped and added to the DSP list. But it not works as the Console shows.

Sox in DSP.JPG

Console.JPG

• 3 years later...
On 12/12/2013 at 11:55 AM, ronalde said:

It surely is more than decent.

For John Philipps ssrc is the clear winner, compared to sr-convert, sox, sndfile-resample (libsamplerate), audacity and resampaudio (afsp).

Klaus (aka soundcheck) prefers sox over ssrc. He published some interesting comparisons between the two, especially with regards to ringing artifacts which SRC Comparisons from Infinitewave lacks.

I published packages (debs) for installing ssrc on Ubuntu and Debian, so could easily try ssrc yourself.

Regards,

Ronald

Infinite waves does have impulse responses to check ringing artifacts. Just change from sweep to impulse on the drop-down menu under the src name.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

@Mr.Y I also suggest you to try Ressampler V for foobar. It also has SoX and a nice graphical interface, also free.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/resamplerv/

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red