IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I'll post this here, too, since I believe that it has a lot to do with USB cables and their comparison. I also did a short cable comparison in order to assess if the REGEN made differences between cables a non-issue.

I have finally have the time to write my impressions. I tested the REGEN in two different systems.

The first system was at the Lone Star Audio Fest here in Dallas. I received the REGEN on Saturday and went to the LSAF on Sunday late afternoon. Luckily Dave from Raven Audio still had his system set up and he was so kind to let me use it. Sunday afternoon the kids were at home and a decent comparison session would have been impossible BTW, his system has me, a solid-state-guy, rethinking tubes and definitely showed me that I had listened to the Legacy Audio Aeris speakers in a terrible system.

Here's his system: PC > Mytek Manhatten > Goldfinch pre/Silhoutte Mk 2 pre > Spirit Mk2 Monos > Legacy Audio Focus HD. All cables were Douglas Connection top cables (I bought the Alpha-1 speaker cables after our listening session).

There's not much to say, actually, since the difference was so immediate and obvious that we only swapped it out once just in order to get a better grip on the differences. Dave also has very trained ears and our observations were pretty much the same. We quickly re-inserted the REGEN, since listening just wasn't as enjoyable without it anymore. I'll describe the main improvements at the end of this post.

Today I also had finally some time to listen to it in my system, since I had been travelling since Monday.

Here's my system: SBT w/ Welborne PSU > Resolution Audio Cantata > Gryphon Diablo > Evolution Acoustics MicroOne. I was using the Light Harmonic Lightspeed red USB cable. I also used a "normal" USB cable with a ferrite in order to see if cables matter with a REGEN in the digital chain.

So, enough talk... here's a summary of the results:

w/ REGEN

• cleaned the whole sound, but not in a abrasive/chemical way. It's as if dust and dirt has been removed from crevices and corners revealing textures that were hidden and, simultaneously, someone showed up with a wet cloth, which made colours and timbres come to life, but in a completely natural way. Taking the REGEN out took timbres, colors and textures away, as if a fine gray dust had settled on the sound. The following points are probably the result of this main trait.
  • sound stage depth increased quite a bit
  • small inflections and inner detail increased quite a lot. I started to hear new details in the lower and mid frequencies, so in the regions that aren't necessarily affected if there were a fake tilt in the higher frequencies that sometimes create a sense of detail.
  • complex harmonics like Timpani and Glockenspiel decay were far more resolved and natural
  • wood sounds like wood (e.g knocking on double bass), and the prior sounds that mimicked wood now sound more like thick cardboard.

Belive me, it's hard to live without it after having it in your system.

Comparing the Lightspeed with my normal USB cable with ferrite made both cables sound spookily close. I guess that differences between good cables and the top cables will still be there, but by a far smaller fraction. The main differences were a slight lack of finesse and a less resolved sound, but it was subtle. I'm not even sure that many will be able to spot the differences without going back and forth quite a few times.

I know see that this post could sound like an ad, so let me make it clear: I am NOT affiliated with the creators of the REGEN, although I'd love to be able brag about having contributed to any of it. Unfortunately, like most of us here, we didn't. So, honor to whom honor is due, John and Alex. #respect

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 2 months later...
I don't have the Vertere HB anymore, I compared it in a shootout to my Ligh Harmonic LS split cable, and the CAD USB cable (cheapest) and much preferred the CAD in my system. The CAD has incredible clarity and lets the musicality through. Is now my go to cable. Just added a couple of DAC's have a Gryphon Kalliope and a Computer Audio Design DAC MK2.

Had never even heard of the CAD cable.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 8 months later...
Hello reverendo, I have been briefly reading over this thread and was wondering about this Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB cable as in comparison to the wire world Platinum starlight USB cable I presently own and purchased several years ago. I needed to have a fairly long run as my pc tower is on one wall of the room and my dac is on the other wall. My question is have you had a chance to listen to this WW Platinum Starlight USB cable? I also see that Wire World has a newer version of this cable as a series 7, and I was told that it is much better then what I have. Just wanted your input on this and if someone else would like to jump in, that would be fine. Also wanted to know if you have recently auditioned any new USB cables? Thanks in advanced!

Hi GammaG,

It's been a while that I have compared USB cables, but I did compare the WW Platinum 6 to other cables that were replaced by the Lightspeed. In my system the AQ Diamond was a better fit the the WW and later on I preferred the Purist Ultimate, although not in regards to all aspects. The Lightspeed was clearly better than the Purist and improved on some of the traits that I had with the Diamond. In my system I believe that the Lightspeed is the clearly better usb cable, but it is an indirect comparison. Like always, ymmv.

Best regards

PS: the Regen did make quite a difference in my system, so, nowadays, I recommend getting one of those before entering a quest for the usb cable that best fits your needs. the Regen is responsible for bringing me back to using usb at all, something that I had given up on in my particular system.

Just wondering if you guys have the same opinion on audiophile fuses?

I think fuses depends quite a lot on the project of the equipment. I stopped my itch to upgrade the Cantata when I changed fuses, but I'm not sure that it's universally applicable just because it made a difference in that equipment.

• 1 month later...
I still haven't stepped into digital whole heartily (analogue vinyl for me).

I read very positive things about the Audioquest jitterbug which can be plugged into the USB port and then you cable plugs into it.

If you try this would like to hear your experiences. Its not very expensive.

For me, what I read about Meridian MQA looks good. Maybe this will be the tipping point but I have yet to hear it for myself.

Hi xyzzy1,

At the moment I'm happy with the amber REGEN in my chain, although I haven't invested in a alternative power supply for it. I might try to work with other gadgets and I'm not sure that the jitterbug + firefly complement each other, since I don't know much about the latter. I'm still thinking of working on the acoustics of the room, a possible valve in my chain and maybe a speaker upgrade, but if a USB cable and/or gadget shows up here at home I'd probably take the time to compare it to what I have and know.

Best regards

• 1 year later...

has anyone here ever tried the Lightspeed 20G cable? Is this available as an upgrade for those who have the 10G? Any experience and info would be welcome.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

In the next few weeks I will be comparing a Gekko USB cable against my trusted Lightspeed 10G

58 minutes ago, Blake said:

The 10G is very good cable.  I slightly preferred the TotalDac and Curious to my 10G (it really just comes down to system matching and sonic preferences and I could see others preferring the 10G in head to head comparisons).  I thought about using the 10G in my work system but I couldn't justify having that expensive cable in my work system so I sold it.  I am still using a Lightspeed 2G in my work system and I think it is a great bang for the buck cable.  

I've heard good things about the Curious cable. Might be interesting to make that comparison. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dbq5anlxj said:

It's so interesting to read through the whole thread. I just wonder is LH Labs LightSpeed 2G ($179) a good option or Mapleshade Clearlink Pluls ($135) ? I'm new to usb cable which one is a better buy or anything else? thanks

I never got to compare the 2G cable. The Mapleshade was an excellent performer at that price level at that time, but there seem to be a lot of new kids on the block and I'm not up to date. 

• 1 month later...

Recently had the chance to listen to the Curious USB cable and compared it to the Lightspeed. please take into account that preferences vary and that different cables will have different results in different system. nonetheless, it was a huge difference and I must say that the Curious sounds broken compared to the Lightspeed 10G. with the 10G there was more focus, speed, resolution, bandwidth and clarity. It was slightly less dense, but in a way that I would attribute to a lack of definition and resolution on part of the Curious cable. I went back and forth several times and the differences were not subtle. I can imagine the Curious cable helping systems that are overly bright and adding a little bit of "warmth" in the lower mids, but at the expense of the items I mentioned above.

as always, YMMV.

12 hours ago, barrows said:

Thanks for this comparison!  I have never heard the top level LightSpeed, maybe I should...

It used to be their top-level USB cable until the 20G, which I don't know myself. 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

I enjoyed my Lightspeed 10G and my 2G quite a bit, and you are totally on point on system synergy.  These are recommended cables in my book as the 10G/2G worked great in my systems. 

However, if you ever get the itch to try something new then I suggest you give Sablon a shot (they have a return policy).  I think it is has even more focus, speed, resolution and clarity than the 10G and is overall a much better cable with no caveats or qualifications, but ymmv.

Thanks, Blake. What's the price on the one you would recommend and how long is the return policy?

7 minutes ago, Blake said:

Hi,

Return Policy: 28 days from shipping

Model:  They have the Reserva model in powered ($500) and un-powered versions ($400).  My Berkeley Alpha requires a powered version so I have the powered Reserva.

They also offer an "Elite" version of the Reserva for an additional $250, but if you need a powered version you need to check with Mark first to check compatibility. 

You can also start with the Reserva and send it back and Mark will modify it to an Elite version at a later date.  I may send mine back eventually, but I who knows, I am so happy with the Reserva I may never do it.  For sure, one of my best ever audio purchases.

http://sablonaudio.com/index.php/signal

wow, that's practically half the price of the 10G. I'm sorting through some other upgrades now (loudspeakers, DAC and transport), but will take a look at it when I'm ready. I'll also see if thecableco has a demo of these.

thanks. ?

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

Interesting. I had the Lightspeed 10G in my system some time ago and am currently using the Curious USB cable as my reference. My experience/opinion is very different from yours. I found the Lightspeed to be overly analytical and "thin" sounding compared to the Curious. In my system, I find that timbre of instruments is noticeably more accurate with the Curious as well.

I think that on a certain level we might be describing two different sides of the same coin, just with different results, maybe because of systems and preference.

I definitely agree that the Curious was "thicker" sounding, or, conversely, the 10G was "thinner". Speed can also be interpreted into the "analytical" camp, depending again on system and/or preference.

I tested the cables in a friend's system, which was all tubes and horns (Kronzilla, Lampizator GG, Horns Universum), so that might help explain my impressions. Maybe I should test it in mine, which is definitely more "analytical" in nature by comparison, but where the 10G still was the overall best fit of the several cables I tested here.

One thing that I just can't explain, and maybe due to my understanding of how hearing and sound works, is that wide and, above all, correct bandwidth reproduction is what creates the "correct" sound of especially timbre, but also tone and texture. After all, it's all harmonics. So resolution and bandwidth should result in passing on whatever the transport is sending. The closer to that goal, the more truthful the system will reproduce the source material and I really want to get to know what that is and then judge it based on that. And it is in that sense that I think that the Curious falls short. Again, YMMV.

BTW, Allan, thanks for sharing your experience.

50 minutes ago, elcorso said:

I had the same experience, first with the Curious, now with the Lush (9 moths in my system).

Different systems... different taste.  And no, my system is not 'digitalis'... 

I've been pursuing an SQ that allows me long, musical and enjoyable listening sessions. I am not interested in more details than a musical instrument, or human voices, can provide. Pristine hf, deep bass up to 16hZ, with correct midrange.

Roch

Just saw your post, Roch. Had written without seeing it, but I think it also applies to your impressions. Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean with the above. All I can say is that, in my system, the Curious USB cable is noticeably superior to the Lightspeed 10G in all of timbre, tone and texture. It is more musical. We can't measure timbre. All we can do is compare how accurately the reproduction of the sound of acoustic instruments is to the real thing, and that is the standard I have applied in the foregoing.

I agree with you. I have sensed that the 10G is overall leaner.

I remember when I compared it to the Purist Audio USB cable the Purist had more body and weight, which made it more musical. Nonetheless, the Purist's bandwidth was limited in comparison, which created shortcomings in spatiality, transients and, therefore, sound stage. I would love to find a cable that had the bandwidth and speed that the 10G had with more accurate body and weight. Still, when faced with more or a less an either/or scenario, my preference goes towards wide bandwidth, especially because I believe that the problem will probably be found somewhere else beyond the USB cable within my own system. That's what I tried to explain previously regarding sound and its reproduction in my prior post. Simply put, all sound is basically a selection and of harmonics with different intensities.

Having said that, I'm sure that there are better USB cables out there, that might be able to do both and for less money. The 10G was the best I came upon having compared around 10 different ones in my system and I let it be. Someday I just might take up the USB cable testing up again, but first I'll work on speakers and source upgrade. ?

On 12/31/2012 at 1:02 PM, reverendo said:

I'd like to discourage those who do not hear differences in USB cables (or all cables) to post on this thread. I understand and respect your opinions and findings, but we'll have to agree to disagree. As human beings we all have different physical abilities. Some can run long stretches, some are fast swimmers, some are lift heavy weights... you get my point. This also applies to the physical part of listening, too. It's also true that we don't have the same experience (and/or training) in processing the information that our brain receives and, of course, this also applies to listening. So please, PLEASE, let's not let this thread become a discussion about placebo effects vs. hearing and listening disabilities, ok?

@Sal1950 just a quick reminder of the first post of this thread. we've been able to steer clear of this all these years. I'm sure you can help us continue that way.

Thanks in advance. ?

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

also interested in the ID of that 'cheap cable' above

another question is how one decides which USB cable to buy (or which smaller group to buy for a listening test) - the Lightspeed is north of $1k so you have to wonder if $5k could not be better deployed...

www.thecableco.com was a good source to test some cables. I also bought others with the option of a trial period. I took the time to burn them in so that that it was a fair comparison. this helped quite a lot in doing real comparisons.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

this is the cheap one I asked about

Thx - knew cableco.com did speaker cables; did not know they 'rented' USB cables

they'll "rent" out any cable in their library

30 minutes ago, chrisc said:

Can't find where anyone has mentioned it, but I use wi-fi and/or a LAN cable to transfer music from a Mac to a Devialet.  The wi-fi is much better than the USB.  There is no noise whatever

Its difficult where I live (Cape Town, South Africa) to get much better USB cables than Audioquest, so tried the wi-fi route

My brother has a Devialet. I would recommend getting a Regen. I only went back to USB from digital coax after using it and that was with a LH 10G. 

BTW, still using the "normal" Regen, but it gut much, much better using an alternative lpsu, in my case the HDplex. My Welborne is better, but also more expensive and not as versatile. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, str-1 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I will ask anyway.

When it can be used, will an unpowered usb cable more often than not sound better than a powered version of the same cable?  

I realise there will be a lot of “it depends” and “your mileage may vary” in any answer but I would welcome thoughts from anyone with experience of doing this kind of comparison.

there is a good chance that the same cable will sound better without the power line, that is, if your DAC doesn't need it for the handshake, which is my case.

I got to compare my Lightspeed 10G with the entry-level Gekko Black USB cable recently.

LS 10G pros: HF extension and decay (therefore sound stage height) and LF accuracy.
Gekko Black pros: In everything else the Gekko black was better. Very, very holographic. extremely silent (lower noise floor) and resolved mid-range. more body, placement, separation, body, texture and tone. wider and deeper sound stage. It reminded me of the synergistic research USB cable with the black bullet, but better, especially since I easily preferred the 10G over the SR when I compared them.

This means the 10G is out of the system and the Gekko stays. I will try Gekko's main USB cable just out of morbid curiosity, since it costs more than I would want to invest. if it is is better in HF and LF it would be a killer cable.

4 hours ago, ALRAINBOW said:

We should not disallow others comments there are many factors to consider how much or any to some. 

Does anyone have an understanding of why usb Cables effect the sound ? 

I can doa few quotes  but it will not matter to most. 

THe source used makes the biggest change and after that most DACs. While there are some exceptions it’s mostly as I say I feel. . Why do I put the source first coz most all DACs  will not Sound best without it. Beyond this is the usb Cables we use. All usb Cables seem to have a sound so to admit this is tough for me and most 

I don’t feel exp Cables are needed always but clearly some made are better for over all sound. 

I kind man who Owns some nice stuff was driven mad with ground isuses. It took me many weeks as I helped him fix his many issues. 

Lastly it was his usb cable to fix. 

I truly feel all of our audio devices need to be electrically isolated  it few do this. 

He ordered a cust usb cable with a power cutter built in and a Recomended usb iso device. 

It was the last step to true happiness. 

Not all have systems that can hear the changes to the levels it may happen. To accuse them is degrading to them and cannot help the Person. 

Laslty are any usb Cables made for us bad. 

Absolutly yes lol I have heard them in my system.  But others love them lol. 

Dont take my comments as trolling it’s. It meant to be. It’s just pure honesty. Tough to swallow 

now the poster who needs to reboot a good idea and of you hear it it’s ok. 

Dont let others make you feel odd. It’s his most try to make me feel as I help them lol. 

The reason why is complex and I am not sure why it’s in yours. 

If you post what your sever is I might be able to explain why.  But do reboot of you feel it does. 

Enjoy 

Hi, Al. 

Wonderful to have you around. You're the most analytical guy I know regarding getting the server right. I deeply appreciate that. The moment I'm ready for that step, I know who I'm calling. 

BTW, would love for you to try some cables. Get them from thecableco. I might just send you the 10G for you to get a taste of it. ??

4 hours ago, str-1 said:

Well, I’m pleased to say that I have now learned first hand the benefits that can be gained by using an unpowered cable, though I remain a little frustrated by this handshake business.

My chain is Innuos Zenith SE/SOtM tX-USBultra/Chord Blu2/DAVE.  I have all this out of the equipment rack and spread out over the floor at the moment to make it easier to try a few different cable combinations.  Knowing that Blu2 needs 5v power for handshake purposes, I decided to see what could be done between the Zenith and tX-U.  With everything on the floor I was able to get the Zenith and tX-U close enough to connect with an Uptone USPCB, which I think in this (less critical?) link of the chain sounds better than both the 20cm Curious and 70cm Lush cables I have.  I was pleased to find that everything continued to work when I switched off the USPCB’s 5v power and delighted to hear the immediate boost in sound quality, with noise levels dropping and everything becoming much cleaner and more punchy.  Result!

The frustration comes with the tX-U/Blu2 connection.  Although failing miserably to gain much knowledge about handshaking over USB by looking on the web, I did often see it said that while many dacs need the 5v power for the handshake this could be turned off after the connection is made.  Well, the tX-U has a switch over each of its two USB outputs that turns off the 5v power.  So with music playing quite happily I turned off the power for the output feeding the Blu2 and immediately lost all sound, only for this to return the moment I switched 5v back on.  Can someone explain to me what is happening here?  I have also asked this question on one of the Chord Electronics threads over on Head-Fi and expect Rob Watts will offer some thoughts from the dac end.

Some Dacs actually need the power from the 5v, not only for the handshake. Might be your case.