IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Quite the contrary in fact, in my humble opinion. Help us seems help themselves at Lumin, their excellent service with the Lumin App and Lumin firmware updates are the keys of sucess, kill one of these two keys and Audiophiles like you or me will soon or later look elswhere if the grass is greener. I am sure we are, or will be, aware of that at Lumin.  Forgetting that would be a mistake for sure, so I trust Peter to find the origin of the problem in the 8.1 and 8.2 versions of the Lumin app. And why Linn would be more important for Lumin than other brands… if it’s important to work with Linn hardware, it’s equally important for other brands. 

Thanks a lot in advance @wklie for your help ! 

MSB Reference> Ypsilon Aelius 2 >Vivid G1 or Andra3

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

Lumin has always provided an Openhome playback software that could work with all Openhome solutions in the market, the Lumin App is not a upnp playback software, it can manage to work with upnp hardwares if they are Openhome compatible, or Openhome transformed (the work of Bubbleupnp server for example). 

So yes the Lumin App work well with the U1mini of course, because all Lumin are Openhome streamers, and the Lumin App is an Openhome software. But with the two last updates of the Lumin app, the app have a problem with other openhome softwares and hardwares (non Lumin and Linn ones). 

HQPlayer >Diretta DST>Holo May>Holo Serene>Kinki ex-m7>Leedh e2 glass or DIY (Davis/Heil).

24 minutes ago, wklie said:

I did not say nothing had changed.  I claim it is not a bug of Lumin app.

I mentioned Linn not because Linn is more important than other OpenHome renderers, but to prove that:

1. Lumin app pause and other affected operations are still OpenHome compliant; if they were proprietary they would not have worked on Linn hardware

2. It is therefore not a bug of Lumin app.  It is not Lumin app that requires fixing for pause / next / previous actions when using other OpenHome renderers.

Ok Peter , so you changed something in the 8.1 Lumin app that disable these functions for other openhome products than Lumin and Linn, and now it’s the work for all others to find what you made and correct it in their software and firmware.. Lumin app users will appreciate the subtlety and disingenuousness of such a statement, even if you are within your rights to do so.

I have always greatly appreciated the quality of Lumin's follow-up for its firmware and software updates which allowed Lumin users but also everyone to benefit from the application, all in your honor and this has contributed to your brand image with all audiophiles in the world. Today you seem to be choosing the path of the Lumin app only working for Lumin devices, hidden behind openhome standards, it's a shame, and unfortunately could be harmful to your image. I sincerely hope that you will change your mind.

Sincerely.

8 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@DuckTollerthat’s a great idea … anyway I’m not alone with this issue as you can read in previous posts.

On another forum we are at least three with the same issue.

… and it should be interesting to check the Lumïn Android version as “unfortunately” we are all on Apple devices

As I said, the Droid Lumin app work flawlesly with bubble server at home, tested this morning. Of course I am ready to test anything to help, but I am not sure the question is there today… hope I am wrong.

@bubbleguuum

I just installed your Beta version, I used the Lumin app to drive an Engineered E-red Dock card and a Marantz MCR510. All functions work with the E-red card. I don't have fast forward and rewind functions on the Marantz but I have the same lack on Mconnect in UPNP mode so it's inherent in the Marantz. I will complete with shuffle and repeat functions that I didn’t have time to test.

Good job and fast, thank you very much! The modifications made by Lumin to the 8.1 Release app were aimed at an improvement that could not overlook the loss of functions for other Openhome devices and apps on the market? It worked for so long that it's a little disconcerting that all of a sudden the problem appeared after dozens and dozens of changes to the Lumin app, maybe @wklie could have explained it to us instead of shooting off the field.

Best regards, Nicolas.

• 1 month later...

I suppose it’s for a small Lumin, not a S1 or X1. The X1 already have an original top noch dc cable.

1.5m is very, very, very high for a dc cable. The power supply regulators and capacitors should be as closed from the Lumin as possible, or the dc cable as short as possible.
The only Gotham quality for me is the star quad internal arrangement of the wires, the weakness is the basic touching multitrand wires under PVC insulation. So I prefer make my own DC cables from single core wires under teflon insulation (silver or occ copper) or Duelund DCA wires (tined copper is a better choice with multistrand wires), all in a star quad configuration. 

Regards, Nicolas.

• 6 months later...

I know some original devices, and not amplifiers…. maybe just a well known ethernet switch for example, on which we could make fried eggs without burning the audiophile fuse present in the power supply 🍳😋

• 6 months later...

It's a bit sad (in terms of R&D and  integration of progress made) if the U2, which appeared a long time after the U1 and the X1's power supply, is a less good streamer than the U1 accompanied by a 200$ components power supply and umbilical…. Ultimately it wouldn't just be a little sad but a lot.
Sorry for this somewhat brutal return to earth 😅.

31 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

afair... the X1 PS alone is about 2k$, not 200 😉

nonetheless I find it at the very least "weird" that Lumin kept an older model as their flagship streamer but, even pretty disappointed about this, I bought the U2 anyway

200$ components… not 200$ for the final customer. 
Making money with the X1 power supply is a choice, have a look inside ans tell me it can’t be a normal option with the U2 at its price point compared to U2 power supply. And if it cost some R&D to elaborate the X1 power supply, some years later it cost nothing more and can be fitted to other lumin gears like U2. Only choices…. And at the end I think like Patatorz: to make money with this X1PSU, Lumin lose the right fit between the products and the power supply, although they have a good solution with X1 power supply that cost no R&D today.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NikosTsaf said:

to understand it, you are saying to connect a CAT 6 cable from one port of the router to fiber (A) converter ethernet port, connect a fiber cable from (A) converter port to (B)  converter port and a CAT 6 cable from (B) converter port to lumin.

Yes. And if you want a  better result than a commercial FMC, use a Sonore Optical Module on the Streamer side. 

• 1 month later...

Wrong! Red make exactly the same things and is a standalone streamer… upnp, Roon… all is the same, and Red give hqplayer, hdmi i2s output, linear power supply for 1/3 of the price of u2 mini, it’ s the reality and I had both at home at the same time. LUMIN give the app, the dsd conversion of pcm more, and it can sound better than the red with a good power supply (the Red is not perfect, and the U2 mini is not too).