IGNORED

Will cheap outboard USB Dac help between MacBook Pro and Audyssey Lower East Side speakers?

After much searching, I've decided to get some Audyssey Lower East Side speakers which have both 3.5mm analog input and a Toslink digital input. My Mac output options are 3.5mm analog or optical (mini-Toslink) or USB.

Originally I was going to get a Fiio Dac using the Mac's USB output to offload from the internal Dac in the MacBook Pro. Now that I'm getting the Audyssey's I'm wondering would I still benefit from an outboard USB Dac or just use the one in the Mac?

If there is an optical in for the speakers, it means the speakers must have an onboard DAC. Why not use that, with a mini-toslkink from the Macbook Pro?

Then if you want to improve it, consider the Drangofly DAC for $250.

That is an excellent suggestion.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
After much searching, I've decided to get some Audyssey Lower East Side speakers which have both 3.5mm analog input and a Toslink digital input. My Mac output options are 3.5mm analog or optical (mini-Toslink) or USB.

Originally I was going to get a Fiio Dac using the Mac's USB output to offload from the internal Dac in the MacBook Pro. Now that I'm getting the Audyssey's I'm wondering would I still benefit from an outboard USB Dac or just use the one in the Mac?

Ifi Audio iDac/iUsb Power combo is only $500 retail...

You may find it worth experimenting with a USB to SPDIF converter such as MF V-Link... but I think WGScott's suggestion of using optical out of your MacBook Pro will be best in terms of performance for the cost.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Another vote that you try optical before doing anything else.

Then maybe some research? For example if your speakers do some digital dsp or have a digital crossover then you may not get much benefit from another dac, since the speakers will do adc on analog input. Instead your next step might be an asynchronous USB to optical converter to address jitter.