IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

22 hours ago, semente said:

Thanks, I'll install that one.

It seems to me using Miska’s image takes any OS configuration headaches out of the equation, and all you have to be concerned with is your network.  But try armbian/Debian if you like and see if it works for you and helps the situation.  If not, simple enough to go back to the image.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

IIRC, HDMI out + USB keyboard also works

Yes.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 6:14 AM, jabbr said:

Those are the packages to be used with an installation ie $ dpkg -i ... (once you have a Debian installed and booted to command line) 

The cubox NAA image is in: https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

You definitely want Miska's image. Installing Debian/armbian and getting NAA running on the CuBox is more fuss.

I hope along with you that you haven't fried the CuBox (I have my doubts that you did). Could also be something like not having HDMI output.

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Hardware alternatives to rpi4 are:

Fitlet3

UP board gateway

Note the fitlet3 has undergone substantial production delays due to chip shortages (originally scheduled for February IIRC, and I don't know that any have been produced yet). I'm sure it will be a nice unit when it's here, but it may not be for you if you're looking for something now.

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Does the fitlet2 (what I use) have the same shortages?

Sorry not to have any information to provide there - I've ordered the 3 because of the optional optical Ethernet input, so that's the one I'm tracking. Been looking for other mini-PCs or SBCs with optical Ethernet input but haven't found anything so far that isn't fairly expensive.

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

My fitlet2  has fiber too, of course. That’s why I have a full thread about it. Not sure what the 3 improves upon.  Mine cost me $385

Don't know if the 2 is better off than the 3. (6 week lead time projected, so it doesn't sound as if parts are sitting on hand.)

Biggest difference I see is a newer processor that benchmarks about 2-3 times faster than the old one (nice for installing software and OS updates).

• 9 months later...

On a slightly different note, as I begin to do my research into a NAS and perhaps the possibility of an application server: Is there at present any secure way to send tracks converted by HQP or HQPe over the Internet? I know opening UPnP to the outside world is a bad idea. Reverse proxy over https?

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Do you want the endpoint (output side) over the internet? Or the source side?

IIRC, BubbleUPnP supports some cloud drives like Google Drive for sharing media. And it may even work with HQPlayer. HQPlayer can do regular HTTPS from any URL just fine, as long as necessary access token things are encoded as URL parameters.

Was thinking maybe the source side, using NAS as application server running, for example, HQPe. I'd thought about the other way, but my laptop is a Mac, and between version 4 and 5 I pretty much switched over from HQP to HQPe.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

So you would like to have NAA output over internet to some remote location? For this kind of scenario, I would say OpenVPN with it's Ethernet packet level VPN is best (it supports both ethernet and IP level VPN). It allows you to seamlessly participate in your home network remotely.

Thanks, much appreciated.