IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

@Miska, can you please provide a complete link to your custom kernel packaged for Ubuntu?

I can locate a hqplayerd folder with images at signalist.eu/bins , as well as NAA images, but nothing else ):-

I prefer not to post direct links, since those are subject to change and get broken over time when people read these posts later.

There's a link provided on the HQPlayer Desktop product page for example. Just search for "kernel" on that page.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, the_bat said:

Looking at a connected monitor everything seems to boot up and run fine, and the box can be pinged over the network but it looks like the NAA service never starts up.  I can log in from the console and i've tried to restart the networkaudiod service, which doesn't return an error but still doesn't show up as a networked device in HQPlayer preferences.

The same SSD works perfectly in a Pi4.

If networkaudiod doesn't get started, it is because network doesn't become fully configured, which is dependency for the networkaudiod service. Does "ifconfig" show more than one ethernet interface?

3 hours ago, the_bat said:

I don't believe so - see ifconfig output below.

know the multiple ethernet inputs was an issue if trying to use the CM4-CM3 adapter, but the IO board should only be exposing the CM4s ethernet interface.

What does "systemctl status networkaudiod" and "journalctl -u networkaudiod" say?

2 hours ago, the_bat said:

I have an Allo Digione Signature card attached to it and powered up.  It works with other systems, but networkaudiod doesn't seem to be detecting it.

It would likely need correct overlay to be specified in config.txt, but I don't think it is part of the official RPi kernel. Supported overlays are listed on my HQPlayer Embedded installation instructions web page.

On ARM systems, there's no such thing as ACPI on PC's that would allow straightforward auto-detection of onboard hardware. Instead ARM platforms rely on something called device tree which consists of component specific files defining that they exist and how they are connected on hardware level. In Raspberry Pi world, snippets of these device trees are called "overlays".

USB devices support such auto-detection though, because it is part of the USB bus specification.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Schafheide said:

I note that in Device settings in HQP "Outputs",  I have the choice of .........Gen2 Enhanced: USB Audio

This is the DAC attached through USB port.

Just now, Schafheide said:

and .......Gen2 - Red: USB Audio.

This is the Red's built-in DDC, meaning S/PDIF, AES and I2S outputs.

43 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Must me related to DietPi or my network. I get the same static during playback with Roon only thru RoonBridge.

This is known problem for RPi2 and RPi3 because they have cut too many corners in the hardware design. Ethernet controller is attached to the same bus where the USB port resides and it causes lost USB audio packets which causes such pops.

RPi4 doesn't have such shortcoming, instead they use the ethernet controller built right into the CPU.

This is the reason I'm not providing NAA OS images for RPi3, but only for RPi4.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, sup27606 said:

It sounds like a network speed issue, although another MacBook Pro on the same LAN network works fine as NAA using 768 khz. I wonder, is this a known issue with RPI4, that 768 kHz sampling rate is too high to work over wifi, that only ethernet is workable? I am using Dietpi OS. Thank you for your responses.

It may be similar buffer overflow - resend issue as commonly happens with those small CPUs on Ethernet if 802.3x flow control (aka pause frames) is not active.

You could try setting HQPlayer output Buffer time to 10 ms and see if it makes any change.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

Could somebody explain to me why hqplayer embedded insists on seeing these goofy ass sample rates when I've tried explicitly blocking them in every config file I can find?

2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 32000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 64000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 128000

Why do you think those are goofy? Those are completely standard ones. And your input device seems to support those.

When using auto sample rate it's picking up this nonsense instead of multiples of 44.1 & 48k :S

Ask your ALSA device, that's what it advertises.

If it's really hard wired into the code then let us choose a dummy or "none" output and use our own programs to route hqplayers audio output perhaps?

Above you show input device stuff and now you talk about output? Can you explain more about the case?

You have option to select [none] as input backend. And you have option to select Null output backend. Although null output backend is mostly useful for benchmarking purposes.

HQPlayer wants to have direct low level access to the actual input and output hardware (D/A conversion stage), that's why there's nothing to "route".

3 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

I'm using Pipewire on top of ALSA.

That's your problem then... You are just spoiling entire point of HQPlayer by putting Pipewire in the middle.

8 kHz sampling rate is standard sampling rate for mobile phone calls and also for old wired phone networks. Newer wideband audio calls use 16 kHz sampling rate and then modern audio/video calls over internet use 32 kHz sampling rate for voice, called "ultra-wideband audio".

1 minute ago, privacyguy123 said:

I understand this to an extent, but I am using a 192khz Hifiberry DAC inside of a Pi to capture audio from outside sources, like Tidal Connect and Spotify, routing it through hqplayer and out to speakers. In all the jumbled spaghetti code and config files in Linux there must be a way to block out this 32000 nonsense.

I'm somehow missing what a DAC (analog output device) has to do with HQPlayer inputs!?

I use ADI-2 Pro for S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs, as well as analog inputs, for such purposes. And these are preconfigured already in HQPlayer Embedded, you just need to adjust the device id's in the configuration files, since every RME device has a unique device id. Allowing you to distinguish between multiple connected ADI-2 Pro devices for example.

Just now, privacyguy123 said:

How would Tidal Connect to a ADI-2 through SPDIF when it's a Linux program??? I think we are misunderstanding eachother here ...

For example, I have WiiM Pro -> S/PDIF -> ADI-2 Pro -> HQPlayer -> DAC. Automatic sample rate switching works perfectly and anything I can play with WiiM Pro goes through HQPlayer.

I also have iPad Pro -> USB-to-AES -> ADI-2 Pro -> HQPlayer -> DAC. This allows Apple Music, bit perfect with automatic rate switching to go through HQPlayer.

Just now, privacyguy123 said:

Sadly that does seem to be your answer then :|

There is no other workaround for a poor mans Mscaler setup?

You can make it cheaper if you are OK to manually switch sampling rate. For Spotify it is non-issue since Spotify is always fixed 44.1k rate.

Simpler and cheaper solution for Tidal is to use Roon as HQPlayer front-end.

Or even cheaper, switch from Tidal to Qobuz and use HQPlayer's native Qobuz support. You also get rid of MQA that way.

7 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

While I have you here can you explain if I force set input in HQPE to 192 am I resampling everything using the low quality ALSA/Linux algo yes?

Yes, if you get audio and the source rate is not 192k.

If you use input hardware, and the rates mismatch, then you just don't get any sound until you restart the input with matching rate. HQPlayer always attempts to use low level hardware access without any OS rate conversion algorithms. (ALSA "hw" devices)

With ADI-2, HQPlayer has specific support for that particular piece of hardware, and HQPlayer can detect the correct input rate and switch automatically. But generally, ALSA or USB Audio Class doesn't support input rate slaving, it requires some custom workarounds, both in hardware and in software.

50 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

Are you saying Digi+ IO works with auto sample rate changing or not?

As it says in the HifiBerry notes, no it doesn't. Because it cannot detect or indicate the incoming rate. So you need to manually match the rate. And if the incoming bitstream stops, the device gets stuck because it doesn't have a fallback clock for such cases.

50 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

WiiM Pro SPDIF (supports auto sample rate in documentation) -> Digi+ IO (weird wording in documentation, unsure) -> RPi HQPE -> DAC (doesn't have to be RMI ADI 2, too expensive.)

If you want automatic rate switching, there are the options I stated earlier. No other options I'm aware of. But would be happy to hear about such if someone finds some other ones.

With manual rate switching there's almost endless list of possible input hardware.

14 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

Looking for specifically auto sample rate switching bud - I have hit a brick wall with this RPi homebrew stuff, I don't think it will ever work the way I expected.

RPi4 works fine as input NAA - with ADI-2 Pro connected as the input interface.

With manual rate switching, for example miniDSP USBStreamer is preconfigured in HQPlayer / NAA (device needs to be flashed with their Toslink Stereo firmware variant if not shipped as such from the factory).