IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

• 5 weeks later...

@richard kimber

Here is what I would do if I was in your situation:

1. Assign static ip address to both devices
  2. drop firewall on the naa devices (i never logon to the naa device and do not use it to connect to anything external)
  3. configure firewall on the main Linux system to allow outbound communication to naa static address on all ports.  I have never seen the NAA initate connections towards my primary HQP system.

Edited: to correct for your earlier messages stating that you are using Linux Desktop.

I do not have an Odroid so cannot say if that is introducing the issue or not.  I use a either a i3 based Windows NAA or Celeron based Linux box to run NAA.  Both support DSD with out any issues.  The Linux one needs DoP turned on to make DSD work.  Which DAC are you using and is it using XMOS or Amanero as the USB controller?  

Hmm, that is strange.  Check HQPlayer log and see what NAA is reporting back to what it is supporting.  Also, can you set HQPlayer to DoP and see if that works with NAA.  If it works with DoP via NAA, there might be some kernel settings related to Amanero missing from the Max2Play image that you are using with NAA.

You could also try the NAA appropriate images created by Miska - https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/.  I do not know which one works for Odroid on his site.

@Lebouwsky, if you are using dual interface setup make sure that the multicast packets from your laptop to the sms200 are being sent out the correct interface.  Miska, has previous mentioned that either within this thread or the main HQPlayer thread.  You will have to research how to change the priority on multicast routing on your laptop to send the packets to the interface in question.

Assuming you are comfortable with Windows Command line and are familiar with "route" command.  I am also, assuming that with your bridge setting you have ip addresses assigned to sms and it is reachable pingable from the Windows system.

From top of my ahead:

Start Command Prompt

Run "route print" command

Look for network destination that starts with "224.0.0.0" and look at the interface column for the interface that is bridged interface

Use the "route change" command to change the metric.  Make sure the number is lower than the one assigned to the primary win10 interface.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

There's bunch of common generic code between my different components like HQPlayer and networkaudiod, this release uses latest versions of that. In addition, the ALSA backend on Linux was synced with HQPlayer to use different way to refer to the hardware devices, helping on cases with multiple USB DACs and such.

So not much that would be worth noting specifically.

Thank you for the information.  Will you be releasing your custom kernel for Debian also?  Under the Xenial tree I see 4.9.43-jl+_9 but under Stretch the last image listed is 4.9.16-jl+_1.

@Miska,

Does your custom kernel 4.9.56=jl+_13 support XMOS U208 USB controller in Native DSD mode?  I recently picked up a Sabaj Da3 which uses U208 and I am only able to play DSD via DoP settings.  I was wondering if I needed to something different.  I also tried the 4.11 low latency kernel with the same result.

Right now, I am assuming that the U208/Sabaj is not listed/supported.  If that is the case, can you let me know what information would you need from the logs to potentially add support.

Thank You

1 hour ago, Miska said:

No, it is not supported. This is first time I hear about such device...

Output of "lsusb -v" covering that  particular device. Over email please, keeps the formatting and doesn't pollute the thread here... I can then provide you a kernel to try out...

Email message sent with "Subject: Message from Shadowlight - Sabaj Da3".

• 4 months later...

@tboooe,

As another test can you install the NAA image that Miska has provided on a USB drive and boot your Windows NAA using the USB stick.  That will help eliminate if the issues is with Linux implementation and your Halo DAC.  If everything works out the most likely problem is  with the Sparky - USBridge setup.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Ben2300 said:

How would I know NAA is running, and does it pickup the correct dac? Is there a command?

NAA will pickup all the dac's that it is able to see and you select the one that you want via HQPlayer.  As for if your NAA is running or not you have two options, one is to see if you are seeing the process, the other is to check the log files.  I prefer to use the log file configuration in the start.  Makes it easier to troubleshoot by reviewing the logs in case something goes wrong.

Check the /etc/default/networkaudiod file for the location of the log file.

Here is what my /etc/default/networkaudiod file looks like.  The environment variable to set is NETWORKAUDIOD_LOGFILE.

NETWORKAUDIOD_LOGFILE="/tmp/naa.log"
NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="naa-b"
NETWORKAUDIOD_PCM=1
NETWORKAUDIOD_SDM=1

If you do not have the log entry in the file, there is one more option that you can use, which is to stop the naa service and start it using the "networkaudiod" command.  Doing that you will see the logs directly in the terminal window that  you started the networkaudiod deamon from.

systemctl stop networkaudiod.service
networkaudiod

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Miska said:

I would rather put it as "don't try to use multiple network interfaces - there's no point in doing such". I consider such as misuse of networking technology and NAA. Completely unsupported and non-recommended configuration.

I will keep saying that networking gear and protocols are designed for networks and not for point-to-point connections.

Changing multicast route to either network interface will likely break some protocol on the other network interface. (there's quite a bunch of protocols relying on multicast, mostly based on zeroconf/bonjour/mdns)

No disagreement from me.  I rather not deal with multiple networks in the same system.

• 2 months later...

@jabbr,

try the following from command prompt to see if you are seeing any errors

set NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME=jabbr-win-naa (give it any old name that you want)

networkdaudiod

See if you are seeing any error messages.  Is you Windows OS x64 or regular x86?  Make sure to run the networkaudiod command from the appropriate directory.  Other thing to confirm is IPv6 support on the Win system.

Does wired connection also knock's off the other NAA?

Yeah, I have the same thing.  The first thing that I do is give it a different name for the NAA.  I have a celeron based linux (Debian, celeron based Win10 Pro optimized using the thread on CA and a RPi 3.  I have successfully used the Linux and Win10 system to stream DSD512 via wireless and I have not tried using the RPi for DSD but I have successfully used it to 384k PCM stream.  I also have a Beaglebone Black that I am planning to leverage with the DSC2 DSD only DAC (group buy on diyaudio) to pull the i2s signal directly off the Cronus/Hermes setup onto the DSC2 bypassing the USB completely.