IGNORED

Hi-Res From HDTracks vs Redbook rips

I have purchased over 30 albums in 96/24 FLAC format from HDTracks and most of them sounded better than my Itunes rips. However, I recently re-ripped CD's using DBPoweramp in Secure Mode and find that these sound a lot better than the hi-res downloads. Has anyone else done this comparison?

For me the quality of the hi-res downloads is dependent on the quality of the hi-res remaster. Most of the ones I've bought are the best sounding version I have of the music in question, but a couple haven't been mastered well and don't sound good. Adding too much volume compression to the hi-res is one of the culprits.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What Firedog said. Don't forget, just because an HD track can sound better than a CD version you happen to own - doesn't mean there isn't a version that might even top that.

The mastering is all important IMO, the format is a side issue if that job is done properly.

Most back catalogue I see advertised as 'high res' is taken from later, often compressed or tweaked masters when a decent transfer exists in a previous issue or audiophile special release.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

The mastering is all important IMO, the format is a side issue if that job is done properly.

The recording matters at least 9 times as much as the mastering. If both the recording and the mastering are done properly, it will still sound completely artificial and uninvolving if the choice of format is neglected, and Redbook always sucks like no tomorrow. :P

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
The recording matters at least 9 times as much as the mastering. If both the recording and the mastering are done properly, it will still sound completely artificial and uninvolving if the choice of format is neglected, and Redbook always sucks like no tomorrow. :P

LOL redbook is perfectly capable of outstanding results. As for recording, there is no barrier to getting that right. When the mixing and mastering is then squeezed and futzed - as so much is these days. That is the end and no amount of silly numbers in terms of res will rescue it. But it is lucrative to flog backcatelogue to old heads who don't realise there is already a better CD out there. :P

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL redbook is perfectly capable of outstanding results. As for recording, there is no barrier to getting that right. When the mixing and mastering is then squeezed and futzed - as so much is these days. That is the end and no amount of silly numbers in terms of res will rescue it. But it is lucrative to flog backcatelogue to old heads who don't realise there is already a better CD out there. :P

Yep, agreed ... & the point of this forum is to alert us to 'best' options. There can be a lot of legwork getting this right. And then you end up spending up just to see if said DL is what you really want. Hits, misses, ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I beg to differ but I never argue with perception. I have a music collection of nearly 4000 discs. Perhaps 85% are redbook CDs, and except for the poorly mastered ones, my redbook collection rival the rest now that my present system modest as it is resolves the SQ better than I have ever heard it. Amarra also helps persuade me of the excellent SQ.

This is my perspective driven by my experience and I have no wish to prove you wrong.

Best,

Richard