IGNORED

Mac computer question, not Mac music question

Perhaps some of the Mac experts could opine on the following. It is an irritation to me that should be solvable.

C.A.P.S. 1 server with a VNC server on it.("music server")

Mac airport extreme router. NAS drives for music. Plays ok, etc, etc

Music server controlled with IPAD AND Remoter VNC. Works ok

Occasionally use a Mac laptop to control the music server. Using Finder window on Mac->go to server- VNC server. Worked fine for months.

Now, all of a sudden, this won't work and trying to find the music server just gives me a horizontal progress bar. Never connects

But

Can use same laptop finder window to connect to another machine with VNC server on same network

And

Can use another VNC client on the mac laptop to connect to the music server without issues

All stuff rebooted, VNC address rentered manually, VNC server reinstalled: no help

So I am able to function but irritated at my inability to resolve. No error messages. No other apparent issues.

Can someone solve/resolve? Or tell me where to go for help

Thanks

Probably a software update bit you, or who knows what.

Click on the desktop to be sure you in Finder

From the "Go" menu, select "Connect to Server" (COmmand-K also works)

In the "server address" box, type in vnc://<the ip address of your CAPS server>

For example, here that would be: vnc://10.10.15.15

The desktop should appear. You can use the same trick with smb:// to get at any shared disks.

Clumsy, I know. But it woiks every time. :)

-Paul

Perhaps some of the Mac experts could opine on the following. It is an irritation to me that should be solvable.

C.A.P.S. 1 server with a VNC server on it.("music server")

Mac airport extreme router. NAS drives for music. Plays ok, etc, etc

Music server controlled with IPAD AND Remoter VNC. Works ok

Occasionally use a Mac laptop to control the music server. Using Finder window on Mac->go to server- VNC server. Worked fine for months.

Now, all of a sudden, this won't work and trying to find the music server just gives me a horizontal progress bar. Never connects

But

Can use same laptop finder window to connect to another machine with VNC server on same network

And

Can use another VNC client on the mac laptop to connect to the music server without issues

All stuff rebooted, VNC address rentered manually, VNC server reinstalled: no help

So I am able to function but irritated at my inability to resolve. No error messages. No other apparent issues.

Can someone solve/resolve? Or tell me where to go for help

Thanks

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

wgscott: tried but new user in Windows (I presume this is what you mean) - does not help. When I did this J. River now had ZERO entries in its library. But MAC would still not connect with Finder -> Go->Server.

I tried Chicken of the VNC last week and it does work (but with funny color mapping).

Another VNC client, Glavsoft, works well.

Paul.Raulerson: your technique is the one I have been using for months but it no longer works - this is my problem. Other VNC clients do work. And this technique works for other PC's on the network. So there is something (now) odd about the specific connection between the Finder window and my music server

It's not that I can't get things to work (by doing something else).

I am just frustrated with the MAC software as it gives no hint of the problem (no error messages) and I do not have enough technical smarts as to where to look under the hood to fix things..

thanks any way for suggestions

If you are using that technique, the problem is most likely not in the Mac, but in some setting that has changed on the CAPS machine.

I'm sure you have tried this, but have you power cycled the CAPS server lately?

Made any changes on your network?

Allowed Windows to update the CAPS server OS?

Has the IP address of your CAPS server changed?

There is an issue with VNC in MacOS, but connecting the way we discussed will absolutely bypass it.

The other option is simply to turn on remote desktop on your CAPS machine, and use the Microsoft Remote Desktop client. I do this because RDP works much much better with Windows than VNC does.

-Paul

wgscott: tried but new user in Windows (I presume this is what you mean) - does not help. When I did this J. River now had ZERO entries in its library. But MAC would still not connect with Finder -> Go->Server.

I tried Chicken of the VNC last week and it does work (but with funny color mapping).

Another VNC client, Glavsoft, works well.

Paul.Raulerson: your technique is the one I have been using for months but it no longer works - this is my problem. Other VNC clients do work. And this technique works for other PC's on the network. So there is something (now) odd about the specific connection between the Finder window and my music server

It's not that I can't get things to work (by doing something else).

I am just frustrated with the MAC software as it gives no hint of the problem (no error messages) and I do not have enough technical smarts as to where to look under the hood to fix things..

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

A good debugging technique on Mac OS X is to create a new test user account, on Mac OS X, log out of your Mac OS X account, and then log into the new test Mac OS X account. See if Screen Sharing then works. If it does, then it tells you it is something in your original account that it amiss, which is relatively easy to fix. (Usually finding and deleting a corrupted preferences file does the trick).

Paul's idea of trying the numerical IP address is a good one.