IGNORED

Small headphone amp??

SO here is the story... I have my drawing desk next to my desk where i have my main listening area.. But late at night i cant have my stereo on since im sure it will bother the neighbors. The downside is that where my receiver is positioned, my headphones dont reach. So i was looking at some headphones amp and there are just so many. Im not a big headphone listener but i do want to hear some quality. I was looking at the NuForce icon uDAC that runs for $120. Its a DAC and headphone amp so that is what its catching my attention. Anyone have any idea what other small DAC/Headphones amps are good? i dont plan to invest more than $150 since i only will use it at night. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

BTW... i own some Bowers & Wilkins C5 :D

iMac -> Audirvana+ -> Schiit Modi -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Audioengine P4

Oscar09

IF you like valves, and can stretch to another $50, check this one out.It's getting pretty good initial reviews too. The DAC uses a valve as a buffer, but the HA section is solid state.You might need to guard it jealously though, as it will be a real talking point.

Alex

Aune T1 24bit Tube USB DAC ( new products) - News- HIFI AUDIO-HIFIDIY.NET-CHINA - HIFIDIY.NET

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Oscar09

IF you like valves, and can stretch to another $50, check this one out.It's getting pretty good initial reviews too. The DAC uses a valve as a buffer, but the HA section is solid state.You might need to guard it jealously though, as it will be a real talking point.

Alex

Aune T1 24bit Tube USB DAC ( new products) - News- HIFI AUDIO-HIFIDIY.NET-CHINA - HIFIDIY.NET

NOW THAT IS NICE!! ive always heard great things about DACs with tubes! i really like it... in your opinion, how do you think it might compare to my Music Streamer II? I love my HRT music streamer II but i wish it would also be a headphone amp... Do you think its worth replacing the streamer II for the Aune?

iMac -> Audirvana+ -> Schiit Modi -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Audioengine P4

I used to own the nuforce icon udac and I was not a huge fan (it was my first dac). Do you want a pure headphone amp or a dac/amp combo? I'm currently in the market for a dac/amp combo for an office set up. Fiio makes well regarded inexpensive amp/dac combos built around the E9 amp (which has a very useful gain switch). The combo will run more than $150. You may also want to look at the audioengine D1 dac/amp, which fits your budget. If all you want is a good quality cheap amp, get the cmoy which runs around $60: JDS Labs

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

AudioQuest Dragonfly - I think it does sound as good as it is being reviewed. I compared my son's Dragonfly to my CEntrance DACPort - the Dragonfly is much more detailed and clear, and I did not consider the DACPort to be muddy before.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys