IGNORED

New Bob Dylan CD

• 2 weeks later...

Both sonically and musically the album could easily be called Modern Times 2 - same range of instruments, same style of songwriting but this time Bob´s voice is much clearer and in the foreground - the band much more at the back, almost like an accompaniment...

If you liked MT you´re sure to like this as well.

I think the key word used above is "same".

Shakespeare's last play was probably "The Tempest," and I thought of that when I heard the title of Dylan's album. I have been following Dylan closely for more than 40 years. I probably have all of his albums, including the official and many unofficial bootlegs. He is one of the artists of our time who might have something of the size of Shakespeare. In Titling this album, as far as I can tell, however, Dylan was not thinking of Shakespeare. Or what was he thinking of? It is loaded with stuff about death and dying, but neither the music nor the lyrics have much to say about that our anything else.

The recording quality is fine.

But buy one of the albums from the 60s, if you don't have them.

Shakespeare's last play was probably "The Tempest," and I thought of that when I heard the title of Dylan's album. I have been following Dylan closely for more than 40 years. I probably have all of his albums, including the official and many unofficial bootlegs. He is one of the artists of our time who might have something of the size of Shakespeare. In Titling this album, as far as I can tell, however, Dylan was not thinking of Shakespeare. Or what was he thinking of? It is loaded with stuff about death and dying, but neither the music nor the lyrics have much to say about that our anything else.

The recording quality is fine.

But buy one of the albums from the 60s, if you don't have them.

I am also a long time Dylan fan and while not a completist in terms of what is available I have 20+ of his core albums. What I have heard of this album relates a sameness of material and ideas or simply boring.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...