IGNORED

Is there a 'best' Internet browser for audio?

Assuming a audio-dedicated laptop running Win7 and JRMC, is there a 'best' internet browser -- with the least complications and 'clutter' -- for the basic functions of downloading audio files, 'add-ons', etc.?

If I could figure how to 'poll', Google Chrome, IE8, IE9, Firefox, and 'other' would probably cover my question.

I'm not confused -- I'm pleasantly unaware.

Greg -- Native-born Texican

Assuming a audio-dedicated laptop running Win7 and JRMC, is there a 'best' internet browser -- with the least complications and 'clutter' -- for the basic functions of downloading audio files, 'add-ons', etc.?

If I could figure how to 'poll', Google Chrome, IE8, IE9, Firefox, and 'other' would probably cover my question.

Hi Greg,

I am not sure what you are actually asking... For downloading audio-files it depends on where they come from... For me the use of any browser is a personal experience. I prefer Chrome because it is fast & simple, but it has nothing to do with audio.

Most browsers have download-managers available as a plug-in. These come in handy when a download stops (for whatever reason), and allows you to continue where is was stopped. If we are talking about illegal downloads from bittorrents etc... I can not help you...

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Hi Greg,

I am not sure what you are actually asking... For downloading audio-files it depends on where they come from... For me the use of any browser is a personal experience. I prefer Chrome because it is fast & simple, but it has nothing to do with audio.

Most browsers have download-managers available as a plug-in. These come in handy when a download stops (for whatever reason), and allows you to continue where is was stopped. If we are talking about illegal downloads from bittorrents etc... I can not help you...

Regards,

Peter

Personally, I use Internet Download Manager, it is paid software, but one of the fastest and intuitive download managers I have ever used.

Of course, certain sites like HDTracks restrict you to using their download managers, but I have not found the DM to be more efficient on one browser than another.

I recommend Chrome for your situation.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I second the suggestion of Chrome for least clutter and least drag on computer resources. They all have gotten better though.

If you are talking about streaming audio to play as it streams, not sure which would be best for that.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Give FireFox a go... I'm sure you'll never go back to anything. Just need to personalize it with add-ons and you'll have your browser behave the way you want it to.

Coming to browser distracting from playback... well I've never experienced it. I have a powerful system with 16 GB RAM and powerful components like PSU, Mobo, GFX, SC (Asus Xonar Essence STX) and I pretty much use the same system to listen to music and everything else (am even typing this as I continue to listen to K. D. Lang.) If system resources become scarce then I just upgrade or add more RAM to take care of things.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Because the benefits outweigh the costs.

I very much agree with your point: the benefits outweigh the costs in my opinion too. In my experience, Chrome is fast, very easy to use, and has a lot of nice features, all in a very neat interface. If people at Google want to get bored to death following what I do on the Internet, I am sad for them, but that does not bother me more than that.

If people at Google want to get bored to death following what I do on the Internet, I am sad for them, but that does not bother me more than that.

And they're not paranoid.

Some incredibly ignorant comments being made here. So easily willing to give up rights. And, to equate ones appreciation for and desire to protect his/her civil rights with paranoia! This coming from a member using a generic username like Kiwi2 and private location no less! The Constitution, Bill of Rights, and civil rights are not important in your book I suppose?

Some incredibly ignorant comments being made here. So easily willing to give up rights. And, to equate ones appreciation for and desire to protect his/her civil rights with paranoia! This coming from a member using a generic username like Kiwi2 and private location no less! The Constitution, Bill of Rights, and civil rights are not important in your book I suppose?

Cory Doctorow: The Curious Case of Internet Privacy

Nice article Julf.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

― Benjamin Franklin

One can also replace "a little temporary safety" with "a little temporary convenience" and it works as well.

Some incredibly ignorant comments being made here. So easily willing to give up rights.

The tone of your response to my post makes me feel young. It reminds me of the "flame wars" to which I used to participate on Usenet forums around 1992-94... This seems so old now. But unfortunately I am now too old to join a new "flame war", or whatever it is called currently, on this topic. As I said, yes I am willing to trade a bit of privacy (not my right to privacy) against a lot of convenience.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

― Benjamin Franklin

That most tired quote of all... If only things were that simple!

We all make trade-offs between liberty and safety all the time, at the individual level, at the community level, at all levels.

Although I enjoy this flamewar very much as I have the impression of having lost twenty years of age, I feel that we are straying dangerously offtopic.

Agreed.

Please stay on topic or start a new thread.

P.S. I admit to contributing to the off topic chatter :~|

Chris,

Thank you for the 'on topic' post. However, a few of the comments 'ring true' for me, as well

I live in conservative west Texas, where oilfield and ranch mentalities don't appreciate (huge understatement! ;?) any invasion of our privacy in any venue. If we do not expressly give permission to 'share', we become upset -- to understate, once more.

When I originally posed my question, I had Google Chrome as #1, But, IE9 was #2 due to its 'do not track' inclusion. I don't understand Google Chrome's position wrt this issue. But, then again, I am an old man, and I shouldn't 'get started' concerning the things I don't understand! ;?)

The laptop will spend minimal time connected to the Internet, but some downloads of software updates, as well as add-ons, will be unavoidable.

So, with your permission, I will re-direct my initial query slightly. Assuming Google Chrome as the browser, there appear to be some applications to address the privacy issues. Again, I will 'plead guilty' to ignorance charges. ;?)

Google Chrome apparently works well with Adblock Plus, which also, recently, incorporated support for Do Not Track code. I have a lot of research left to do, but my question is this: Assuming 90%+ of Internet exposure is due to downloading (DSL 20 Mbps), do I hamper, clutter, contaminate, or in any significant way compromise, the 'dedicated audio laptop' experience -- one which I'm very much anticipating, in a positive light -- by incorporating the privacy 'insurance' (assuming I pick software with stable and minimal code).

Thank you.

I'm not confused -- I'm pleasantly unaware.

Greg -- Native-born Texican