IGNORED

Recordings Indistinguishable From Real Thing

Hi Paul,

I can vouch for this point, a set of Maggie 1.7s in my living room brought too much of the performance "into the room" for my wife to enjoy, and we had to scale the speakers back a bit.

I think the idea of transporting me to the venue is a much better analog that transporting the venue to me. So, most definitely, does Karen. :)

This makes me think something else was at play and not the Maggies. In my experience, they excel at "bringing the listener to the performance space", assuming such is contained in the recording.

On the other hand, with some close-mic'd recordings and most studios in which they're made, I can see how being "brought to the performance space" can sometimes place the listener in such a fashion that everything is too "in your face".

It isn't the messenger's fault. They were just given an annoying message to deliver. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

This...

Yes, it's on my to-be-purchased list. Any chance you could put together a session with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and -- hmm, who's still among the living? -- Jack Dejohnette sometime soon? :)

...(and in a considerably better room than a domestic living room ;-}).

Yeah, well, just remember we're not talking about my living room or even yours. We're talking about, like, Count Franz Walsegg-Stuppach's living room.

article-1374866-0B8B423D00000578-540_634x416.jpg

(Not actually his living room, but you get the idea.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi Paul,

It isn't the messenger's fault. They were just given an annoying message to deliver. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

I agree with you Barry, and I really think that maybe they were just too large for the space. The PSB's present a MUCH smaller stage, and Karen is throughly happy with them. I find myself missing the wonderful immersive sound of the Maggies, and often retreat to my office and listen to the MMGs.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul,

I agree with you Barry, and I really think that maybe they were just too large for the space. The PSB's present a MUCH smaller stage, and Karen is throughly happy with them. I find myself missing the wonderful immersive sound of the Maggies, and often retreat to my office and listen to the MMGs.

-Paul

Keeping everyone happy is definitely #1. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Yes, it's on my to-be-purchased list. Any chance you could put together a session with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and -- hmm, who's still among the living? -- Jack Dejohnette sometime soon? :)

Yeah, well, just remember we're not talking about my living room or even yours. We're talking about, like, Count Franz Walsegg-Stuppach's living room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1692[/ATTACH]

(Not actually his living room, but you get the idea.)

--David

So if we can find some early-60s Miles Davis live recordings in European castles, that's right up your alley? ;-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 month later...
Not exactly the same as what RobbieC is saying with lasers, but I have played around with light sensitive transistors, photoresistors and even cheap solar cells. You can amplify that and get sound from it bouncing sound off objects that are effected by sound (like the panels of an ESL for instance). Never got serious about it. Have always thought if one wished using a reflective diaphragm and bouncing light off it one could end up with a pretty good mic that way. Of course proof is in the pudding, and I don't have any. A coherent laser bounced off things and these commonly available light sensitive devices are another obvious possibility. I don't see why you couldn't shot a laser across a gap and let the gap be modulated by the air movement to record sound. Don't know of such devices, but they are certainly conceivable without looking at all impossible to do.

The extremely simple variations I have made up have suffered from lots of noise. Such detectors are pretty sensitive done right. Car head lights will transmit vibration of the car including enough to make out different textures of the roads they are traveling on.

Apple reported to be researching laser microphones.

Rob C