IGNORED

How do you feel about your electrical consumption?

Well?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

would guess that for me to work at home and listen to music for 5 hours, I use about 1 kW

I assume you mean 1kWh.

60W A/B power amp (65W)

This is the only part where I can improve on your setup - my hypex class D power amps idle at 5W/channel. OK, if I go full blast, they can go to 400W at 95% efficiency, but...

Unfortunately our house makes it a rather academic discussion. Historical canal houses in Amsterdam are not the most energy efficient - due to the listed status, I can't even use double pane windows... :(

Amsterdam is one of my absolute favourite cities in the world - I loved my all too brief time there. Bummer about the windows. Double-glazing is rarely used in this country... we have a long way to go. There are some retro-fit options around that add a layer of perspex.

Quite right Juif - I meant, kWh (not kW).

With 87db speakers, a sub and class A and A/B amps, I haven't chosen the most efficient rig! I am rather enjoying it, so don't think I'll be changing much any time soon. But next time I do, I will be looking at more efficient kit, mos'def.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Amsterdam is one of my absolute favourite cities in the world - I loved my all too brief time there.

It is a nice city - as long as you don't need to park a car in the city centre :)

Bummer about the windows. Double-glazing is rarely used in this country... we have a long way to go.

Coming from Finland I was used to triple glazing... :-/

I tend to find the places that I like walking in the most, are difficult to drive around.

The places that are easy to drive around tend not to be places I least want to walk around.

Sorry to go OT, guys...

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

re - $ aside I'm not too stressed about how much electricity we consume as NZ mostly generates from hydro. It tends to cost ~(NZD) 21c/kWh. (USD: 16.8c)

Screen shot 2012-08-19 at 07.03.59.png

When I built the house, I tried to be reasonably environmentally friendly; north facing, solar hot water heating, low-e glass, no air-con / heat-pump - just a ventilation system that sucks heat from the roof cavity (if any) in winter and expels heat in summer, limited underfloor heating (on smart timers), towel bars on timers, pool pump on timer ... think that's about it.

Instead of low-e I probably should have done double glazing - at least on the south side of the house.

Environmentally, I'm probably more worried about the amount of flying we do.

The power bill for the last month was $225.00 (about US$110.00).
<-FYI I think your FX is slightly off, we're at 80c at the moment so your bill's USD180.
I didn't like your choices. Screw Class D amps . . . I want my system to sound good!...
nCore. Done

...Historical canal houses in Amsterdam are not the most energy efficient - due to the listed status, I can't even use double pane windows... :(
Jeez, that's just wrong. Unusual in your country...

Amsterdam is one of my absolute favourite cities in the world...
Same here!

It is a nice city - as long as you don't need to park a car in the city centre :)
And because you have have a great country, you need to do that much less than in other cities in the world.
I tend to find the places that I like walking in the most, are difficult to drive around.

The places that are easy to drive around tend not to be places I least want to walk around.

Well stated. Sadly, too many Americans don't care.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by odelay viewpost-right.png

Hmm... maybe not so well stated, but at least Sam seemed to know I was on about...

I would like to see more walkable neighbourhoods - where we live close to everything. It's amazing what difference your daily commute makes to your life. I used to work around the corner - a 5min walk. If you've never had that pleasure, you may never what you're missing out on.

Walkable neighbourhoods seem to be a happy byproduct of a low carbon economy. Bring it on, I say.

Jay - that's a very interesting energy split you fabulous Kiwis have! Nice to see geothermal making up 6% already. Australia has the highest carbon footprint per capita in the OECD primarily because electricity is made almost exclusively from coal. Jay - are you using a solar thermal collector - like Solar Source/Sun Lizard? If so - PM me, I'd be keen to hear about your experience with it (I'm getting one installed for the organisation I work for).

nCore. Done

Have to agree 100% :)

Jeez, that's just wrong. Unusual in your country...

As usual with the Dutch, the answer is "yes and no". They do love their rules and regulations - and then ignore or don't enforce many of them.

As I keep saying "For being so liberal the Dutch are very conservative. Or the other way around. Not sure." :)

And because you have have a great country, you need to do that much less than in other cities in the world.

Indeed. Last night we went to the Leonard Cohen concert at the old Olympic Stadium (from 1928). It is pretty much exactly at the opposite end of the city from us. We had a quick debate - do we walk (35 min), take our bicycles (15 min) or take the tram (20 min, just because you have to change trams)? The tram won, just because the threatening rainclouds...

By the way - just cant believe Leonard Cohen is 78! Boy is his voice still going strong (in his own inimitable style)...

Seeing Leonard Cohen in Amsterdam is my idea of a good time.

Great that he's still in good voice! :-)

I didn't see him when he came here. My experience of big open air gigs has not been too good here (poor sound). I would love to hear some of his stuff in hi-rez. (I have a vinyl rip of his debut that is pretty nice, but I want more.)

Trams make cities work so much better. It's criminal that so many tram networks were ripped out (like they were here).

Jay - are you using a solar thermal collector - like Solar Source/Sun Lizard? If so - PM me, I'd be keen to hear about your experience with it (I'm getting one installed for the organisation I work for).

Ccorrect, I'm using Solahart. System is about 7 years old but I'm not too wrapped with it. I think in OZ it really make sense (at least in QLand) to use photovoltaic as the payback was so good. I'll PM 2 :)

My experience of big open air gigs has not been too good here (poor sound).

I was surprised at how good the sound was this time at the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium. Worked very well during the first half, vocals got a bit muddled up as they went louder in the second half. The occasional gust of wind did cause a bit of HF wipeout, but not very frequently.

Jay - ah, solar hot water! My mistake, I thought you might be using a solar thermal collector for room heating.

Yeah, we do get a fair bit more sun over here... more than our fair share if you ask me!

Juif - great to hear that the mixers did a good job with the Cohen concert. (The sound was atrocious at the festival where Dylan played over here.)