IGNORED

More Grumbling on the Paucity of Hi-Res Files

Would You Spend Your Cash on DRM-Protected Hi-Res?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had thought that the reason record companies have failed to offer hi-res options is the lack of DRM. But then it occurred to me that Apple's lossless format, ALAC, looks to have the ability to work with a DRM scheme (pretty much as it did with AAC).

My next thought was that adding DRM would be a step backwards, but now I don't think that'a true, at least in a meaningful way. Firstly, all movies and television shows on the iTunes store have DRM, and you don't hear complaints. Secondly, a bunch of software exists to strip DRM away from the files, for those who would want to play their files on non-Apple equipment.

So the infrastructure for delivering DRM-protected hi-res files is already in place; it's just not available for audio files. Presumably, Apple could flip a switch and change that. If that happens, would you indulge?

I'm curious to see what the appetite here would be, as CA members are pretty much the target audience for hi-res music.

If DRM can assure the Majors that their "studio" versions are protected... And a big "IF" they decide to REALLY work their masters to be studio quality, then yes I would agree...

But I doubt so much about this that ti does not change a thing for me...

Alain

The main thing that holds me back from buying hires right now is that for the most part only full albums are available for sale and selection in the genre I like is very limited. I don't want to spend $20.00 for a full album to get the 1 or 2 songs I like. If iTunes was to flick the switch and offer a 24/96 option for purchase of individual tracks at a reasonable price I would indulge. My caveats are that the files would have to be playable in JRMC, the mastering isn't victim to the loudness war and the files actually be of higher quality.

No to DRM. I want to be able to play the files the way I want to play them. DRM free flac. I have multiple playback options, and as another method of backup I burn them to dvd-audio disc. Apple saw the light and gave up on music drm a long time ago.

There is DRM and then there is DRM. I suppose it depends upon how ornerous it is. Apple has always made DRM as minimal as possible, with no restrictions on backing it or restoring it, or even copying it to a CD to play.

Best to just do without it, at least at CD resolution.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I know that music and video companies tend to be drawn to DRM, but it never seems to be successful. Either it drives away potential users because it causes problems for them, or somebody cracks the DRM and the cat is out of the bag. If record companies came up with high-res downloads with DRM at a reasonable price, I would probably buy them (truthfully, Apple's DRM'ed AAC's never caused me any problems), but generally DRM seems to be a pointless arms race. And 99-point-whatever percent of Red Book CD's don't have any DRM.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5