IGNORED

Made a mistake during ripping...

The other options Owen suggested look interesting, but the data is always the real bottom line, and this is a simple way to look at it for sure.

Exactly correct that the data is the bottom line. That's why I prefer to let the computer process the data instead of just looking at a tiny portion of it with my eyes.

The third section down, starting at offset 18870, shows the music data, and it is clearly zero padded. -Paul

You cannot safely determine the nature of all the audio samples in a multi-megabyte file by looking at a page of hexdump! In this particular case, the audio is quite surely zero-padded (due to a bit depth setting in Max), but that isn't proved by looking at a few bytes.

My earlier post suggested alternative ways of reliably (assuming correct usage of software) determining whether the audio in a 24-bit file has been zero-padded or not.

The only utterly reliable way is to examine the entire data set of course. Otherwise, you are always subject to error.

The chance however, of just part of the music being padded with exactly that pattern in any particular chunk, is minuscule, so yes, one can safely conclude that the file is zero padded by examining a small part of the data set.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The only utterly reliable way is to examine the entire data set of course. Otherwise, you are always subject to error.

And that is precisely why I recommend using software to process the entire data set instead of your technique of eyeballing a few hundred bytes. I sincerely hope this discussion doesn't erupt into yet another ridiculous row.

(*sigh*)

No, it certainly won't. I have no intention of playing your games, especially over something as minor as this is.

I can certainly tell by the data that the file is padded, and "eyeballing" the data is the only way to be absolutely sure. The software programs you mention are not as reliable as a human looking at the data, but go for whatever floats your boat.

On the other hand, I've been doing that kind of stuff for decades, so it is second nature to me. No reason to suppose that the software programs you promote might not be a better choice for people who are not comfortable with the real data.

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world in this case.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

(*sigh*)

No, it certainly won't. I have no intention of playing your games, especially over something as minor as this is.

I can certainly tell by the data that the file is padded, and "eyeballing" the data is the only way to be absolutely sure. The software programs you mention are not as reliable as a human looking at the data, but go for whatever floats your boat.

On the other hand, I've been doing that kind of stuff for decades, so it is second nature to me. No reason to suppose that the software programs you promote might not be a better choice for people who are not comfortable with the real data.

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world in this case.

-Paul

Please stop with the "playing your games" and "there are only 10 kinds of people in the world in this case" type attacks which have escalated into your tantrums in the past.

Click the following link to see a reasonable way to determine whether every sample in a 24-bit file is zero-padded.

LOL! Should I have made that 102 for you?

I don't necessarily appreciate your snide remarks - I do get frustrated with people who cannot act in an adult manner, nor realize and admit when they are wrong, especially when trying to force other people to admit they are wrong. (shrug) That behavior is not tantrumatic, but it is a personality fault people close to me label as "a low tolerance for incompetence." But, it takes all kinds.

And no thanks, I am perfectly capable of deciding what data is in a file without the need of adding in possible errors from some other program.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

LOL! Should I have made that 102 for you?

I don't necessarily appreciate your snide remarks - I do get frustrated with people who cannot act in an adult manner, nor realize and admit when they are wrong, especially when trying to force other people to admit they are wrong. (shrug) That behavior is not tantrumatic, but it is a personality fault people close to me label as "a low tolerance for incompetence." But, it takes all kinds.

And no thanks, I am perfectly capable of deciding what data is in a file without the need of adding in possible errors from some other program.

-Paul

Paul, someone else in the forum pointed out that you project your own failings onto those who disagree with you. You are doing that again. Please calm down before you further damage your health and further ridicule yourself yet again.

Paul, someone else in the forum pointed out that you project your own failings onto those who disagree with you. You are doing that again. Please calm down before you further damage your health and further ridicule yourself yet again.

(amusement) I do not think I have seen anyone attempt to use those defamation techniques since high school, where we had courses on what propaganda is and how the countries we opposed in those days used it.

I assume you have a psych degree now, or would that be the "someone else" you refer to?

Amazing talent that, psychoanalyze someone over the net! Or is that simply another technique?

In any case, no matter how polite I am to you, nor how many times I word something very carefully to avoid appearing like I am confronting you, it doesn't seem to work with you.

Just go back to slicing me to ribbons in private messages with your favorite cronies instead of these ridiculous and amateur slanders in public. You are only defaming your own image.

And derailing the topic.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just go back to slicing me to ribbons in private messages with your favorite cronies instead of these ridiculous and amateur slanders in public. You are only defaming your own image.

Paul, as I said, calm down for the sake of your health. You sound genuinely paranoid now.

Look, you are the one slandering and defaming me by claiming that I "slice you to ribbons" in private messages. Yet again you have projected your own faults (slandering and defaming in this case) onto someone (me in this case) who has disagreed with you.

LOL! Believe what you will, I am off to listen to some great new music, though I admit, it is interesting to see what new nasty crack you put in each message. I am not projecting anything of my personality on you, as I am quite sure we have incompatible temperaments. But I am observing and recording your behavior with great interest indeed.

Oh, and I will not reply again, because I know you need to get the last word.

Peace-

Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I think that was me. And I have simply learned to not get into any debate with Paul, as it has a tendency to end up the same way.