IGNORED

What system would you build with a $5,000 budget?

Building a system for a home office. I have a $5,000 budget and the majority of my listening is rock music. What would you buy?

Dave L

Main: CAPS 3 Carbon > Roon > HQ Player > ARC DAC 8 > ARC VSi60 > Vandersteen 3A Signatures

Cables: AQ Rocket 88 Bi Wired, AQ Columbia RCA, and AQ Diamond USB

Office: Macbook Pro > Roon > HQ Player > Burson Audio Conductor SL w/DAC Output > Adam F5 or HiFiman HE-500

Cables: AQ Carbon USB and Oyide RCA

Storage: Synology NAS 213+

Basement: in progress - Building a RPI 3 > Peachtree IDAC > Halide Bridge > amp? > Wharfdale 10.2's

Using a PC with J River media player. Need Speakers, Amp, and DAC. Open on new or used.

Thanks for the reply

Dave L

Main: CAPS 3 Carbon > Roon > HQ Player > ARC DAC 8 > ARC VSi60 > Vandersteen 3A Signatures

Office: Macbook Pro > Roon > HQ Player > Burson Audio Conductor SL w/DAC Output > Adam F5 or HiFiman HE-500

Basement: in progress - Building a RPI 3 > Peachtree IDAC > Halide Bridge > amp? > Wharfdale 10.2's

This is a 3rd system for office need to be creative and stay in budget. There are plenty of possibilities that will sound pretty good. I know the budget is tight that's why I am asking for suggestions:)

Thanks

Dave L

Peachtree iNova and some good bookshelf speakers!

I don't know if Peachtree would be a good choice for rock music, which he mentioned as being the majority of his listening. Typically, I think PT has a soft sound. I could be wrong.

Some more information would be helpful, however: light back ground listening, rock the room, room size, component size preference, component location (desk/bookshelf/cabinet), etc? Any additional info. helps.

I don't know if Peachtree would be a good choice for rock music, which he mentioned as being the majority of his listening. Typically, I think PT has a soft sound. I could be wrong.

Some more information would be helpful, however: light back ground listening, rock the room, room size, component size preference, component location (desk/bookshelf/cabinet), etc? Any additional info. helps.

They don't sound soft when I listen to them.

No electron left behind.

Room is a secondary bedroom not to big. I am setting up the office around the stereo so placement is not a problem. Normal levels of listening, not looking to blow the doors off. Not to worried about size of components but speakers have to be reasonable. Maggie's would look funny in the middle of the room and block the entrance if they are 4-5 feet from the front wall. I am more interested in forgetting the speakers are there and feeling the music is almost live then technically accurate sound. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the responses.

Dave L

hahaha, why didn't I think of that...

That is my office "system", by the way. Except I got the speakers at an audio show for $150 discounted.

It is perfectly reasonable.

I think a Nova-type system with their D4 or D5 speakers would be a major step up, and we are still well below budget with that.

I'm sure there are many other equally decent combinations.

My main home living room system is about $5K or so, and if I don't count the sub, which really isn't by any means a necessity, it comes in well under $5K. I have no illusions that it is high-end, but it sounds better to my ears than about half of the boutique stuff I have listened to with a much higher price tag.

They don't sound soft when I listen to them.

I'm probably wrong then. I've never owned Peachtree. I just remember reading that they had a soft sound (not good for rock) in numerous reviews. I listen mostly to rock, so when I read that, I usually take note.

Do you occasionally listen to rock (AudioDoctor) with the PT?

Peachtree with Zu would probably rock. I've never listened to Zu at length however.

I am setting up the office around the stereo...

A true audiophile!

I found a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5's used on Craigslist:). Has anyone heard these and how would they pair with the Peachtree. Craigslist actually has a good selection of audio equipment. I was very surprised. Thanks for all the advice.

Dave L

Wow! All of you are so very rational. Maybe I have a problem. I always go over budget! I thought all Audiophiles did?

Well, having said that, here's my irrational recommendation;

This is such a tough price point, because you are so close to a few bookshelves with reference quality drivers and more likely to keep long term.

Speakers in the 5k range;

Focal 1008BE

Sonus Faber Auditor Elipsa

Rockport Mira Monitor

Egglestonworks Isabel (replaced by new (pricier) model, may still build a pair of original).

Dynaudio Special 25

B&W 805D

IMO, the jump from speakers in the 2-3k range to the 5k is significant. I would prefer to skimp a little on components and cables and use the bulk of the budget on speakers. In fact, I'd probably get $5K speakers, find a demo discount pair for $4k, then get a $1k amp and $500 DAC.

Here are some options within budget;

Odyssey Audio Cyclops $1300

ATC SCM11 $1800

DAC (too many options that may require a separate thread)

or

Peachtree (models recommended above)

Zu Audio Essence, or Soul Superfly (I've only heard Zu speakers briefly, so not sure if they're good, but love the super high sensitivity. Opens the door for many high quality, low powered amps)

You already said Maggies are too big. Too bad, those would be ideal.

Other amps to consider:

Rega Brio-R $895

Exposure 2010S

I found a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5's used on Craigslist:). Has anyone heard these and how would they pair with the Peachtree. Craigslist actually has a good selection of audio equipment. I was very surprised. Thanks for all the advice.

I've been using the 3.5 for almost a year now. These replaced the excellent NHT Classic 4's.

Unfortunately I can't comment about using with Peachtree.

These speakers are not the warmest sounding , but neither are they bright. They excel at giving a very "live" presentation where the speakers seem to disappear from the room. There is no sweet spot no matter where you sit in the room, even in front of one speaker. The soundstage is quite deep and wide. At times it sounded like there was extra reverb added to the music. These are no doubt due to the 300 degree cylindrical tweeter.

Be forewarned that the Gallos require a large, wide room to sound good with plenty of distance between walls. Also figure on at least 20ft to the listening position.

Clarity is another virtue...it is a transparent and very revealing. When coupled to a quiet preamp and good DAC (I'm using Metrum Octave), you hear things buried deep in the recording for the first time. There is almost no coloration and no dip between drivers -- there is no crossover whatsoever between midrange and tweeter. You do hear this because music is pure and timing is great. There is a single order LPF to the woofer, but that's it. If you ever wanted a crossover-less speakers that sound great across entire spectrum, these fit the bill.

Transient is another good trait. Pianos sound true and realistic. At first I felt treble was a bit subdued, but as I got used to it, it was "just right." Decays of things like hi hats and cymbals are natural and excellent.

These speakers are not the warmest sounding, but neither are they bright. Midrange is good and intimate, but doesn't quite have the "she's standing right in front of me" presence for vocal performance. Violin and strings sound real good, if you're into classical music.

Bass is taut and does go down surprisingly deep for the size, but you're not going to rock the house foundation with these. You can say the bass is "just enough."

They are fast and dynamic, but not the most efficient, so require amps with high current delivery. Use a wimpy amp and bass really suffers. I drive each with a class A amp in bridge mode, about 180W/ch of very high current.

Design-wise I think it is pretty cool looking, but you have to see them for yourself if they fit in with the decor -- they are not normal looking speakers. They are very small floor standers in terms of footprint and height. I have laminate flooring and two small kids that like to climb and ride them like a horse, so I removed the antiresonant gel bottom.

IMO I don't think you can go wrong with these. Truly excellent sounding speakers for the money. I would not hesitate to buy another pair (although their new Classico floor standers could give the 3.5s a run for the money.)

Good luck,

JR

Oppo UDP-205/Topping D90 MQA/eBay HDMI->I2S/Gallo Reference 3.5/Hsu Research VTF-3HO/APB Pro Rack House/LEA C352 amp/laser printer 14AWG power cords/good but cheap pro audio XLR cables.

Hard to tell where any of you actually live, but in the States for speakers, you can find some awesome speakers under $5,000 in Salk and Philharmonic speakers. The measure great and sound unreal for the dollars invested.

The Truth Is Out There

Mmmm...

$2600 - NAD c390DD. (DAC, Pre, Amp, all in one)

$2000 - PSB Imagine T ($2000), Mini Maggies ($1400) etc.

$400 - Nordost White Lightening speaker cable, and whatever digital connection you need from your PC.

Some variation of that, denuding upon what speakers you find you really like. The PSB Imagines will easily "rock out" with you, even at lower volumes, and the NAD will drive pretty much any speaker you choose. Upgradable to support a phono preamp and HDMI too, if you find you want that.

Speakers are easily the toughest choice with this one.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein