IGNORED

Name your top three movie soundtracks

Thank you Richard! I have a nasty habit of favoring the unattainable, called "moon water" ("something one can never have") in another favorite, The Year of Living Dangerously.

Of the eight films I mentioned, no less than four lack video or soundtrack available to the public. If anybody tells you they have a digital copy of The Flight of the Condor, an historic achievement by public broadcasting, a series loved by *millions*, don't buy his bridge. : (

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

What was I not thinking? Am I repeating this reference somewhere in this thread? If so, worth revisiting the recommendation. I] The Thomas Crown Affair: Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack[/i] [Enhanced CD]? I am a fan of Michel Legrand. And his jazz score is gorgeous by itself and with the film winding. The Windmills of Your Mind garnered an Academy Award for Noel Harrison. Dusty Springfield's version is the better/classic version IMO. Michel Legrand score was nominated for Best Score at the Academy Awards.

The score is playable over and over. Prefer the interspersed lines of dialogue were omitted from the original score CD.

Still great no matter.

Enjoy the OST,

Richard

Thomas Crown Affair OST.jpg

Another one to add that hasn't been mentioned yet - Soundtrack from The Constant Gardener. Reading through the thread prompted me to put it on and listen to it. I love the moodiness of it and also the choice of instruments giving it a decidedly middle eastern flavor.

Also a +1 for Local Hero - Mark Knopfler.

As a long time Pink Floyd fan The Wall has to be a top three pick. Although the album came out long before the movie it seems as though it was written as a soundtrack and script for a movie from the start. A bit dark to listen too but it does get a listen about once a year.

I only get to choose three? This will be hard to do.....but I will select these:

Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite by Joe Hisaishi

Dances With Wolves by John Barry

The Land Before Time by James Horner

I can listen to all three of these straight through and be in musical bliss. :)

Snap, crackle, and pop is for breakfast cereal, not for music. Go digital!

The thrifty audio critter who does not buy into audiophile nonsense.

• 4 months later...

I'll toss in a couple that i have not seen in this thread.

Sorcerer: Tangerine Dream. Good movie. Became a fan after seeing the film.

One from the Heart: Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle. Great soundtrack, so so movie.

And just to make it three. As listed before. A must have on Blu-Ray.

Lawrence of Arabia: Great soundtrack by Maurice Jarre for one of the greatest films ever made. If ever you get a chance to see it on the big screen in 70mm or 4k digital. DO IT !!!

Lawrence of Arabia: Great soundtrack by Maurice Jarre for one of the greatest films ever made. If ever you get a chance to see it on the big screen in 70mm or 4k digital. DO IT !!!

Good throw!

Best,

Richard

BTW: Please see post #73 in this thread.

Richard

My first post here but has anyone mentioned "Inception"? Hans Zimmer again although I find this style quite repetitive in his scores (Batman Begins & The Dark Knight just to mention a couple), but when I listen to it, I feel drawn into another space. Quite a unique feeling.

A couple of +1s first:

O Brother Where Art Thou

Diva (this is such a great film - French, w/subtitles; but a warning for those who don't like the genre, it's in part about opera)

Then 3 more that I haven't noticed yet in the thread:

Touts Les Matins du Monde - Jordi Savall viola da gamba duets. In quiet contemplative moods it is soul food for the ears.

Thelma and Louise

Until the End of the World

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Touts Les Matins du Monde - Jordi Savall viola da gamba duets. In quiet contemplative moods it is soul food for the ears. (Jud)

In my collection and concur with you. In fact I was moved to play a few days ago when I ripped some of my J.S. Bach cello suites to computer audio files. Film is wonderful as well (also in my film collection).

Best,

Richard

Jordi Savall Touts Les Matins du Monde .jpg

re top three movie albums not in order: zulu

the alamo(john wayne's movie,dimitri tompkin)

she wore a yellow ribbon(repetative,but in the context of the cinematography outstanding)

also see my reply to the guy who asked about the last waltz and the youtube classic hd album site on the band and how they mixed their music bobbmd 12/19/12 hope you read this

Alberto Iglesias: I]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [soundtrack][/i]. 2011. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. This is an extraordinary soundtrack as it "fits" the pacing, mood, tone with exquisite matching. The film is extraordinary by itself. When I am absorbed in a film cinematically; and I notice that the music adds another dimension, the score deserves highest recognition. Alberto Iglesias has distinguished himself many times with other films; and I realize I have several he has scored, i.e., The Kite Runner, Talk To Her, Sex and Lucia...

Marvelous,

Richard

Alberto Iglesias Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy OST.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread. A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned but I don't think I saw "Broken Flowers".

• Win 10 (64), (Front Room) Phil's Audio Optimizer, Tidal/Roon, HQPlayer, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Hegel H300, van den Hul - The Clearwater, PMC Twenty.24's.

• 2 weeks later...

3 that I can think of spontanesouly are:

The Crow

Hideaway

Lost Boys

Macbook 13" Black - 2011 Mac Mini 2Gb Ram 500GB - PS3 > AudioQuest Pearl HDMI > LG LV550T 47" & > ISP Netgear wireless router > Seagate GoFlex Home 2 TB NAS > iTunes, AICC Files > AudioQuest Forest USB > (main system) > Audiolab M DAC > Chord Cobra Phono to 5 pin Din > Naim NAC202 > Naim NAP200 > (Naim CD5i & Rega RP3 with Elys 2 > Pro-Ject Phono Box) > Naim NAPSC > Naim Naca 5 > Partington Super Dreadnought > Neat Motive 3

Airport Express (system 2), QED Profile Jack to Phono > Denon DM38DAB > Cambridge Audio Symphony 200 > Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 > Atacama Nexus 6

• 2 months later...