IGNORED

Bob Marley Legend at HDTracks

Has anyone posted the graphs on this yet? Thanks!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

On subjective thread, there is a waveform and spectrum of Satisfy My Soul. I would love to see more spectrums plots on this album before I pull the trigger.

Anyone have any clues as to the source for this HDTracks offering? It appears to be the 2002 re-issue with the original album lengths and the two additional songs.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Please let me know the steps I need to do the get the graphs...Do I use Audacity? If you let me know EXACTLY what I need to do I will post....

Yes, Audacity is a good tool. Load a track into Audacity. In Edit/Preferences/Intereface, make sure you select -145 dB range, and in Edit/Preferences/Spectrograms, check that you have "range" set to 144 dB and max frequency to 96000.The default view is the waveform plot - worth posting. Next, change the display of the track (from the pulldown on the left, normally showing the track name) toi "Spectrum (log f)" and post the result. Finally, select Analyze/Plot Spectrum and post the result of that too.

Doesn't look upsampled. While the dynamic range doesn't seem that great, there doesn't look to be any clipping.

So yes, legit.

This is quite amazing... most of these recordings are taken from different recording sessions. If these have all been preserved in high res it seems probable that most of his discography can eventually be reissued as high res.

This is quite amazing... most of these recordings are taken from different recording sessions. If these have all been preserved in high res it seems probable that most of his discography can eventually be reissued as high res.

Ahh... now... The graphs Ron posted were just one track. So your mileage might vary. And when I stated it looked legit, I only judged it from a point of not being an upsample from CD or something - but we have no idea how "hi res" the source really is. I notice the noise floor is between 90 and 96 dB, funny enough pretty much exactly the resolution of 16 bits. I am pretty sure everything above 27 kHz (and perhaps much higher) is just noise anyway.

So no, it doesn't look like repackaged red book material, but a 24/96 copy of whatever source that I am pretty sure wasn't 24/96 to start with - if we are really lucky, it was a bona fide analog master tape, but who knows...

One more for good measure

A couple of things about spectrograms for future reference...

Your spectrograms (predominantly red and white graphs) have a logarithmic vertical axis. A log frequency scale expands the display of lowest frequency and progressively compresses the display as the frequency increases. This greatly reduces details in the higher frequencies where signs of possible up-sampling may be found. For a linear vertical axis, as almost always used in the CA forums, select "Spectrogram" instead of "Spectrogram log(f)" in the track display drop-down menu.

The default settings in Preferences>Spectrograms are not optimised for frequency precision and they produce very speckly spectrograms. There's a trade-off between frequency precision and temporal precision in a spectrogram. When an entire track lasting a few minutes is to be displayed in an image with a width of only about one or two thousand pixels, temporal precision will be adequate at all available settings and the graph will have good horizontal resolution. However, an FFT window size (not to be confused with program window dimensions on the desktop) of at least 4096 should be used for good vertical resolution. See example below.

Example spectrogram 16.03.28.png

Select Spectrogram.png

Spectrogram preferences.png

The Bob Marley's Exodus CD from MoFi is also excellent, and it is another example that MoFi should release their catalog in high-res downloads (along with their remaster of Yes' Fragile).

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

A couple of things about spectrograms for future reference...

We seem to agree on the buffer size advice, but I guess I am too used to reading logarithmic frequency scales, as they represent the way we perceive sound better - but yes, they give less resolution in the critical region.