IGNORED

Article: ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim and ASUS Xonar Essence STX Review

The best Asus cards have always been reliably competent. A real headline feature of the HDAV is its ability to decode TrueHD onboard, and therefore its capability of turning a common PC into a low cost home theatre preamp.<br />

<br />

All the op-amps in its output stage are conveniently socketed, so you can very easily upgrade them to better drive long cables. The potential of this card to combine with active speakers to make a killer low cost 'amplifier-free' home theatre system hasn't really been exploited too much yet, but it's how I listen at home: I'd never go back to an AV amp for cinema now.<br />

<br />

As Chris says, it's no great shakes for two channel, but the STX is a different story. I recently attended an audition at an amplifier manufacturer who was seriously considering building their entire 'music server' offering around it! But how do you think the STX card compares to a similarly priced off-board DAC?<br />

I have been using it in my HTPC for 5.1 movies and TV with the ATI OCUR TV Tuner which can decode encrypted cable TV if you have the M-Card plugged-in. However, you can't really go directly to amp with it. You must have a pre-amp of some sort between to control volume. I use the Parasound P7 which is only a surround sound pre-amp. It works very well. The sound for movies and TV is way better than my Rotel RSP-1570 surround receiver. I suspect the sound is better than most AVRs. <br />

<br />

My only complaint: Xonar HDAV Center Deluxe needs to enable delay controls for each speaker. I realize that this can be controlled in Jriver, but I don't use Jriver for TV or Movies.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I have the Essence ST sitting in a box because I have tried everything possible to get it to work without it having "cracklin oat bran" or "pops" in playing back most files. Tried latest drivers, modded drivers, buffering, JRiver, Foobar, shutting down services etc. When it does playback without those things it's very good. <br />

<br />

I also have a Auzen Forte that works great and was in my system until I got a M2Tech Evo.

Hi<br />

<br />

I am using XONAR HDAV1.3 DELUXE to play movies through HDMI connection (which goes to SSP)<br />

<br />

I use customized ArcSoft TMT (downloadable from ASUS website) to play blu-ray rips, and for other files I use MPC-Home Cinema.<br />

<br />

In the context of ASIO - how shall I configure the system?<br />

<br />

thx<br />

imho, the eventual sound quality difference on a digital output may only be caused by jitter. <br />

Thus that means that different players and /or drivers use the hardware in a different way.<br />

If not, there would be no difference at all in sound quality between different players.<br />

<br />

That's probably what makes the difference between consumer products like the ASUS cards and the pro like RME and Lynx.For the last ones the software is perfectly targeted to the hardware without any compromise.....

<cite>If not, there would be no difference at all in sound quality between different players.</cite><br />

<br />

IF the players are just reproducing the same "bitperfect" data stored in files. If there's processing involved, then it's a different story...<br />

<br />

Even though I would change the word "would" to "should"...<br />

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have tried all configurations shown here and many others that aren't. I get clicks and pops all the time. The card sounds great but the clicks and pops make it a non runner. :-(<br />

While they are at their worse when using the mouse they also occur randomly while the PC isn't being put to any other use except playing music.<br />

Oh yes...W7/64...Could this be the culprit.......

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

maybe someone can chime in the software/driver comparison of Xonar stx and Claro omega in win7 x64(I believe sonically they're pretty much on par). <br />

Frankly after using asus stuff for so many years, I know they're just not really up there in terms of software, hardware wise they're real good.

Dear Chris,<br />

<br />

Thank you for that excellent and comprehensive review. <br />

<br />

I wanted to go off on a tangent and address the entire PCI versus PCIe interface. Your computer pocket server has integrated graphics but the mac pro does have options for some high powered videocards. Does it have a fairly standard videocard? I would imagine it would unless you also use it for gaming.<br />

<br />

You found that the Slim (a PCI card) was not as good as the STX (a PCIe card). There are obvious differences that would change the quality of the sound. But the interface itself can be peculiar.<br />

<br />

I see that one of the readers above has my card, the Auzentech Forte 7.1 (a PCIe card). <br />

<br />

One issue I have found using this card is kind of peculiar to "gaming enthusiasts". I went from an nVidia GTX 285 videocard to a factory overclocked ati 5870 videocard.<br />

<br />

This caused all sorts of headaches with the Auzentech Forte 7.1 soundcard even though it is on a different IRQ than the videocard. I have consequently found that the PCIe videocards can increase the PCIe frequency (as I understand it) and this can irritate the audiocard. I also had to go into the bios and disable "HD Audio" even though it had been disabled in Windows Device Manager.<br />

<br />

People constructing a nice computer audio or audio/video setup will usually have a tame videocard (since it really is just needed for videogames) so the PCI and PCIe interface may not be important. But it may be an issue for people using high speed overclocked videocards. I also think that people who are adding on soundcards may want to consider a motherboard that does not have built-in audio.<br />

<br />

I think that when I am next in the market (one to two years) for a new soundcard that I will seriously consider a PCI version, assuming that there is no other new interface looming over the horizon.

Chris -- I have been (happily) using my C.A.P.S. server built with the 1.3 Slim card and the Broadcom BCM970012 hardware decoder card, all housed in a M350 case. Could I switch out in that same housing to the STX card and if so, would that mean the loss of video output if the Broadcom card must come out?<br />

<br />

Also, to be clear, are you using the 1.3 Slim driver version 7.12.8.1792 as released on November 5, 2010?<br />

<br />

Finally, are you planning to be at CES and/or T.H.E. Show next week and, if so, are you speaking on any panel? JCR

Hi JCR - You could use the ST card as it's a PCI interface like the 1.3 Slim card. Here's a link to the SR card:<br />

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-Essence-Headphone-7-1-Channel-Audiophiles/dp/B002BZIZ04<br />

<br />

Version 7.12.8.1792 (Released 11/05/2010) is the driver I used with the 1.3 Slim.<br />

<br />

I will certainly be at CES. Just sticking to journalism work this time. No speaking :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

After complaining and trying all sorts of configs a BIOS update seems to have cured the problem.....

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

• 1 month later...

I think the answer to this is no, but is there a PCIe version of the HDAV 1.3 Slim?<br />

<br />

If not, can anyone suggest an alternative PCIe slim card with 24/192 output?<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris -- I did buy the Xonar Essence STX PCI card to replace my Slim PCI card. I have removed the Slim driver/configuration software and run Driver Sweeper to get all ASUS traces off my CAPS server. When I run the Xonar Essence ST driver software download from ASUS's site, I am of course prompted to ensure that I have separate power to the card supplied, which I do. Nevertheless, on install, the ASUS software hangs up and insists that the card is not installed, which it is. Photos 1, 2 and 3 attached show the issue. Yet, if I update the driver using Windows Device Manager, I can, and have successfully, downloaded and installed the latest driver (7.12.8.1793, apparently more updated (?) than the .1792), as you can see in Photo 4. What I am thus missing is the configuration panel for the card, which seemingly can not be downloaded separately.<br />

<br />

The STX card sounds great (a brighter and deeper sound, I think) and I am using your working configuration 4. What I cannot confirm, however, without the configuration panel is whether as a default, the card is set for PCM. Not sure what the other choices are, and perhaps I am obviously on PCM, as I might not hear anything out of the system were it not so set. ASUS has been useless to assist on this problem, which is reported by others in the on-line literature. I assume you did not have this installation problem. Can you confirm that when you loaded up the software, PCM was the default choice anyway? ASUS has offered to replace the card, but obviously it works and I can't imagine that a hardware replacement would affect this issue.<br />

<br />

Your thoughts? Thanks. JCR

Hi JCR - Are you running a straight molex four pin power connector to the card or a SATA connector with adapter to four pin molex? Are you sure this connector is supplying power, can you switch it with another device?<br />

<br />

Can you browse the installation folders for a separate program to install instead of running Setup.exe? Are you logged in with admin privileges?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png