IGNORED

Article: Welcome To Computer Audiophile Academy

Hey Chris,<br />

<br />

I am new to computer audio and I have to tell you this sounds like exactly what I need. I hope you have plenty of patience......<br />

I am particularly interested in what can be achieved on a limited budget - I'm sure I'm not the only one out here with a wife, kids, mortgage etc. <br />

<br />

Thanks!!<br />

<br />

<br />

As a certified newbie to the concept of quality sound coming from computer based audio, even though I've been ripping and streaming my music using my home computer for a couple of years now, I am very much looking forward to this series. Thank you for this opportunity to learn! One of the best sites on the net, in my humble opinon, and I am most appreciative.

Great idea!! Looking forward to reading/learning. <br />

<br />

BTW, having just d/l Kent Poons free hi-res sample tracks (very impressive, even downsampled to 24/48 to play on my Squeezebox), I'd really like to hear your opinion about fidelity of 24/48, 24/96, and 24/192 vs. SACD and vinyl.

Squeezebox Touch/Benchmark DAC-1 and Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Summits. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey El Duderino,<br />

<br />

I know what limited budget can bring to in terms of musical fun. Hang in there: Forums are sooo rich as references, and this one is taking the lead with «source» computers (whiche almost everyone happened to have these days). <br />

<br />

What computer do you use?<br />

<br />

Erik

Digital music addict[br]Mac G5 quad -> Apogee Duet -> Quad 303 (Planabox) -> Proac tablette 2000 -> Sweeeet bliss

At the moment I have an Acer Aspire 1690 Laptop with an external 1TB hard drive. I'm thinking about getting into an iMac at some point, or possibly try my hand at a custom build. It hardly seems worth it these days with PC's getting so cheap/high spec. I might end up with a dedicated machine just for Audio, but until then the Acer will have to do.<br />

<br />

I just got my Audioengine 5 speakers - still running them in at the mo, but they sound really nice already. I also found something of a deal online at London Drugs (a store up here in Canada that is not bad for mid level home theater and computer stuff). It is a Toshiba USB hub/DAC. It is apparently a re badged Creative product. Here is an excerpt from the "Red Flag Deals" forum: "(it contains) a Creative CA0187 DSP for the sound (same chip as in the Creative Live! External). There's also a SigmalTel STAC9460 multi-channel 24-bit DAC (claimed 107db SNR)". So I bought one for $30! But it is only temporary - I am planning on getting a Devilsound USB DAC soon.<br />

<br />

It's a long road to Audio-Nirvana, but a lot of the fun is in getting there from here and trying stuff out. I'm hanging in there!!<br />

<br />

Cheers -

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...