IGNORED

Splashtop control of PC audio settings

Based on the experiments I made so far, I think that if we want to use iPad+Splashtop to control the Pc we use as music center, we would need to have a new feature/ option that allows us to sellect "No Splashtop control of PC audio settings".

For the Pc to be able to send the correct format to the USB output, Splashtop would need to allow the "music software", we use, to control the audio settings, that does not happen.

At the moment I see no way to do it. Splashtop takes control of Pc audio settings when connects and when the "music software" wants to change it, that does not happen, Splashtop puts back the configuration that needs to allow audio streaming to iPad, hidef music will not flow to the USB output.

Depending on the way the software we use is working it may seem to be working Ok but, in fact in the USB output only lower definition music flows

Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I use Splashtop on my iPad to control my JRiver app on my CAPS V2 server. The signal that is going to my DAC is most definitely hi-res, as evidenced by the indicator light on my USB to I2S converter. I use Asio out to the DAC and in the PC I choose the Asio driver.

Colin

Thanks, that's interesting to know. My DAC and current setup don't allow me to confirm that hi-res is being streamed correctly so i might have to reconfigure to check that. This thread and support replies seem to indicate output is limited to 16 bit.http://support-remote.splashtop.com/entries/20022852-how-can-i-turn-off-audio-streaming-in-splashtop-remote

Splashtop tries to take control of the audio settings at the moment of connection, to allow audio streaming. That is a fact.

After that if/ when other program wants to change the settings Splashtop tries to change again to initial settings. That is another fact.

Anyway:

a) At connection, Splashtop is not always sucessfull on taking control of the audio settings, as example:

1.if a hidef music is already playing with a software with "exclusive control", Splashtop will report that was "not sucessfull at setting correct audio settings for audio streaming" and settings are not changed.

2.if you define audio settings for your Pc and do not allow changes, Splashtop will report that was "not sucessfull at setting correct audio settings for audio streaming" and settings are not changed.

b) It is possble that the sw we use to play music has the ability to force the change of the settings Splashtop defined and do not allow Splashtop to change back. I do not know if any sw can do it.

c) It is possible that the sw we use to play music sends the bits to output disregarding the PC audio settings. I do not know if any sw can do it.

My point is that, for sure there are several work-arounds to live with this problem but it would be much leaner if Splashtop had an option to disable the control of the Pc audio settings.

I believe that some of us are thinking our DAC is receiving hi-def data but in fact our sw is converting it to lo-def to comply with the settings defined by the Splashtop sw.

This happened to me on my first experiments and was the reason why sometimes i liked the reult and other times not so much, depending if I was using Splashtop or not.

And resetting it. JRiver produced a truly memorable - and utterly horrible - sound here until I deinstalled Splashtop.

Splashtop is nice because it is faster than VNC, but on the other hand, as long as you are not using video, why not just use Remote Desktop? It's faster yet and doesn't screw up the sound!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Could you please clarify what you mean by "utterly horrible - sound here until I deinstalled Splashtop".

Do you mean that with Splashtop running on your Pc you could identify sound degradation?

Was it caused by the incorrect audio setttings that Splashtop forced on your Pc or something more?

Think of what it sounds like when you play a 16/44.1 file at say, 24/96 *without* a SRC. Horrible is a mild word to use. :(

I think it was because of the audio settings mismatch, but honestly, I can't swear to it. Might have been some kind of mismash on WIndows with a Mixer or something. I have not tried it on a Mac host.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1) I used Spashtop with J. river and can play high rez at high rez to a USB DAC. I am using the wasapi, exclusive mode output. But maybe it's not doing what I think it is...

2) However, I am a bit frustrated with having to log on to Splashtop each time and went to Remoter VNC. It seems to be faster, has a bit more functionality and loads almost instanteously.

It is expensive, however - $1.99.