IGNORED

Naxos Classics Online HD

I wasn't aware that Naxos had download services. I thought they were limited to streaming. I love Naxos because to me they offer the best combination of price and sound. The site isn't limited to Naxos though, the also have Chandos, Ondine, and LSO and probably a few others. Haven't done any downloads yet. Hopefully that process is smooth. The only complaint I have is that the images of the albums goes off my screen to the right. I have to shift to "view all" mode. The search engine seems to work pretty well at least for composers which is better than many sites. Thanks so much for sharing this.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I have downloaded one album, and that went smoothly. Also, I was able to move that download into my iTunes library, which allows me to listen to it through Amarra (not Amarra SQ, which is hit-or-miss with Naxos streaming) and also to sync it onto my iPhone for mobile listening. So, yeah; a pretty good resource.

I haven't downloaded anything yet, but I did shoot them some questions, which received a complete reply in less than five minutes. That would bode well for support. Makes me want to give them some business because it looks like they're trying to earn it. Unlike HDTracks. I've e-mailed HDTracks several times without so much as an automated reply stating that they received the message. Nice going, Chesky bros.! Also the Naxos site is supposed to be adding the Sony Classical label this summer. That's got to be a huge plus.

-Bob

I downloaded my first files today. I'm new to downloading in general, but it went rather smoothly. I find the instructions on the site kind of confusing, but that may be due to my being a novice. The information they sent me in reply to my e-mailed questions clarified things, so if you're unclear on anything, you might want to ask questions. As i said, I got a reply within five minutes when I did. So far, so good!

-Bob

I downloaded my first files today. I'm new to downloading in general, but it went rather smoothly. I find the instructions on the site kind of confusing, but that may be due to my being a novice. The information they sent me in reply to my e-mailed questions clarified things, so if you're unclear on anything, you might want to ask questions. As i said, I got a reply within five minutes when I did. So far, so good!

-Bob

I looked for this download Naxos site and did not found it. what is the url ?

I looked for this download Naxos site and did not found it. what is the url ?

The downloads are made available on the streaming site. When you open up an album to stream the music, you also are presented with an option to purchase it for download (price and a link to click on). Here is the url:ClassicsOnline HD

To stream music, you must purchase a membership. You do not need a membership to purchase music for download.

• 2 months later...

Just downloaded my first two albums. The download went OK, but none of the files had the metadata attached. The only thing included was the track info. Each of the tracks was downloaded separately, they didn't put them into a folder. It took me about an hour to get the tracks for the two albums into the correct albums. I emailed them about the problem with the lack of metadata. I got a response asking for the info on the albums. I responded to that but still haven't heard back after two days. This does not bode well. I'm going to try another album to see if it is tagged correctly, but I have a bad feeling. Unless I can find an easy way to resolve the meta data issue this will be my last download. I'll report back later today.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Funny. I have downloaded two albums and had no problems with them.

OK did another download. I downloaded in AIFF and in fine print the window notes that metadata isn't available for AIFF. This was my bad. Used Metadatics to tag it. What a slick program. Other than that only a couple of minor issues. I have to convince it that Orastream is really updated and open and for some reason it gives me an error message that the pay pal transaction didn't go through the first time I try. When I click again, it says it's already paid for and gives me my download. Strange.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't seem to let you buy only selected tracks. Is that correct? You purchase the entire album then it will let you choose which tracks you want to download.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I signed up for the streaming service. I want to like Tidal, but this is much better. The SQ is amazing, and there is an 'advanced search' function! And booklets :)

Rather annoyingly I do like some of the labels that Naxos doesn't work with. And my wife gave me that 'oh not another monthly payment' look when I told her I signed up. I'll enjoy it for a month and make a decision. Hmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in ... from weekly subscriber update email from Naxos/ClassicsOnline:

Upcoming New Features — On September 9, 2015 ClassicsOnline HD•LL will be updated and will include the following new features:

New user interface with improved navigation and performance enhancements.

New annual streaming subscription pricing with FREE HD albums!

New pricing with Lossless (CD Quality) downloads starting at just $5.99/album – that is less than other download services sell "lossy" albums for – fantastic value!

Naxos also runs the Classic Music Superstore in TN, which sells CD and SACD, etc for very competitive prices. I find them consistently cheaper than Amazon Prime, even including shipping charges (they sell through Amazon). The August Stereophile has an in depth interview with Klaus Heymann, founder and CEO of Naxos. Since founding Naxos nearly 30 years ago he has changed the face of classical recorded music - how it is produced, recorded - including what artists are recorded, how artists are paid, how the music is distributed, etc, etc. I think his history and vision are worth a listen. Some of our friends have recorded with Naxos. They get a flat fee for all rights - no royalties. It allows Heymann to sell CD's for very cheap prices and to record unusual repertoire, with the big winners paying for the lower selling albums. Interesting fact: Heyman's wife Japanese violinist Takako Nishizaki was Suzuki's (of the famous violin teaching method) first student. Her recording of the Four Seasons has sold over a million copies on Naxos.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 3 months later...

I am having a lot of problems with the newest version of the Orastream player (2.0 Win). The playlist functionality is not working correctly -- not advancing to the next song. Also, I am having trouble getting it to stream in hi resolution. I am frequently getting mp3 quality, although I have a very stable and strong (55 Mbps download) connection.

Is anyone else having problems?

Yes. In particular, I'm getting very low streaming rates despite having a constant 60+ Mbps connection. I'm also getting lots of messages telling me that my connection is bad even though it's not (as per the multiple tests I do immediately after getting the message).

I emailed customer service and they said that they'd get back to me after hearing from their tech people. That was many days ago and I haven't heard back. When everything works it's a nice service, but the bugginess of the player has me pretty close to giving up on them. Hopefully there will be good news about TIDAL and MQA coming out of CES.

Yes. In particular, I'm getting very low streaming rates despite having a constant 60+ Mbps connection. I'm also getting lots of messages telling me that my connection is bad even though it's not (as per the multiple tests I do immediately after getting the message).

I emailed customer service and they said that they'd get back to me after hearing from their tech people. That was many days ago and I haven't heard back. When everything works it's a nice service, but the bugginess of the player has me pretty close to giving up on them. Hopefully there will be good news about TIDAL and MQA coming out of CES.

I too am getting these messages even though I have a 55+ Mbps connection.

I am also having a lot of problems with tracks, especially with playlists, advancing to the next track.

I sent an email to Orastream the creator of this very buggy player, but have not heard from them. You might also consider sending them a letter.

They seem to be more concerned with filling out their customer service surveys that fixing the problem.

Its a shame since I like their selection of music, and when the service works, it sounds good.

I heard back from them. They realized that there was a problem and did some stuff. (Sorry for that long and technical explanation.) The player is still inconsistent, but it's better than it was--my impression is that things are about where they were before the switch to the updated version of the player. So nice when it's working . . .

I heard back from them. They realized that there was a problem and did some stuff. (Sorry for that long and technical explanation.) The player is still inconsistent, but it's better than it was--my impression is that things are about where they were before the switch to the updated version of the player. So nice when it's working . . .

The people from Orastream were much more knowledgable and responsive.

They acknowledged a problem with the player and installed a beta which is working much better.

I am starting to have a problem with Orastream and downloads. The site won't recognize that I have the latest version. Clicking on the refresh button doesn't help either. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know any fixes?