IGNORED

What is a good music server and DAC under 1000$, optical out preferred?

wrcwill

First post here on CA, loving the community :)

I recently bought Nautilus n804 speakers from B&W, with a S100 pre-amp and S200 power amp NAD, and I am confused about what music server I should buy?

I looked at the Sonore Classic series, but it goes for 1750$, and that's out of my price range. I feel like optical gives better SQ, so I was hoping to get one that supports it, but most servers under 1k are USB.

Do you guys know of any good servers that offer great SQ yet isn't too pricey? Or talk me into asynchronous usb, and recommend some too?

My next issue is the DAC. I am currently using the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic, but I feel like I am missing something, the sound feels congested, not much instrument separation, bass don't go very low, etc... I was wondering if there were other dacs (with optical in, or USB if you can convince me), either same price or a bit higher, that offer better sound (I would sell the dacmagic)?

Thank you very much!

Denon DT1560/Dacmagic -> Nad S100 > Nad S200 > B&W Nautilus 804

I think you might be hard pressed to get a music server under $1K. To my way of thinking there are two categories: packaged ones like Sonore, Olive etc and built up ones using a computer. I think within the computer choices you could squeak in under $1K using a Mac Mini if you want an optical output. (TOSLink) You could do much better (cost wise, probably around $400) getting an inexpensive Windoze desktop and using USB but you'll have to put in some time configuring things for optimum output. Based on everything I've *read* an asynchronous DAC over USB is at least equal to the optical output of a Mac Mini.

I'm not aware of any of the packaged units for under $1K.

Hope this helps

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

What is your source now? Are you using a CD player with digital out to the DACMagic via Toslink?

You might try getting a friend to come over with a Macbook and audition some lossless CD rips (AIFF or ALAC) out to your DACMagic to see if you hear any improvement. You will need a mini to toslink cable for the Mac's digital out.

I agree with the previous post that under $1K for a server and DAC will be tough and certainly not a big upgrade from your DacMagic.

Some options: MacMini $600 with 500 gig hard drive, and then any number of $400 DACs that may not be a big improvement over the DacMagic. iTunes free and a player like Audirvarna $50 or others in the $33 to $120 range.

Auraliti PK90: www.auraliti.com: $750 + $125 for a USB storage drive.

Heavens, why?

I'd have a look at Auraliti PK90 (USB) or the PK100 (SPDIF). Another option would be a Vortexbox or simply a Mac Mini (which does have optical out if you must).

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Why not optical? I would think USB would be inferior, seein as current passes right next to the data. With an optic cable, no interference exists, as nothing disturbs light. This is just my humble opinion though, because from my MacBook Pro to my fax magic through USB sounds bad. However, if you say USB is better, I think I'll go with the Auraliti PK90.

Which USB Dac would be good to use with it, since my DAC doesn't do 24 bit with USB, and when I tried it it sounded awful.

Thanks!

Denon DT1560/Dacmagic -> Nad S100 > Nad S200 > B&W Nautilus 804

I'm using the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II ($349.00 on Amazon) via USB from my 2009 MacBook Pro and it sounds pretty amazing, all things considered.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's