IGNORED

Evaluating speaker cable

Kimo

Certainly not as easy or enjoyable as I would like; however, I do think that I have identified a parameter that is key to evaluation and performance, at least in my system.

Reverb decay trail.

Will not the superior cable reveal more? After all, one cannot create additional reverb decay with a cable. One can only lose that information. Moreover, this isn't something made more noticeable by the enhancement of particular frequencies, or is it?

Hi Kimo,

"...this isn't something made more noticeable by the enhancement of particular frequencies, or is it?..."

Actually, I believe I can spotlight reverb in a mix by accentuating certain frequencies when I master. To some, this may make the decay more apparent.

If I had to choose a single characteristic I listen for in a cable (or any other link in the audio chain) it would be focus. Of course, care must be taken not to be fooled by a hyped lower treble, which to my ears, does not sound the same as improved focus - which is a temporal phenomenon, as opposed to one of simple amplitude.

However, what might be an easier way is to listen for differences in the sonics of different recordings. In my experience, all recordings sound very different from each other. The most neutral gear (assuming this is what one seeks) will reveal the greatest degree of difference. Any coloration in a component will be applied to everything, hence diminishing the inherent differences.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Will not the superior cable reveal more? After all, one cannot create additional reverb decay with a cable. One can only lose that information.

Generally yes, but -

Here's something I can conceive of but don't know whether it occurs often enough to worry about: I have heard tube amps that produce more reverb than is actually there, because the reverb was consistent over different recordings, whether plain, closely miked, "dry" productions or full-on Philharmonic or wall-of-sound. It is conceivable to me that some amp-cable-speaker combinations may do something similar.

Fortunately there's an easy cure. Make sure to listen with different types of recordings. The cable that is best will impart the least sound of its own, so that the different recordings will sound least similar. If you get different types of production sounding very similar, you've got a "one-trick pony," which you don't want in your system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I wonder if that could be helped by controlling microphonic vibrations in the tubes. Of course, some amps just seem airier than others, but differences should still be evident.

I do think that I can hear the difference between analog and digital reverb at times, but it may be due to other considerations related to the vintage of the recording.

I use a tube amp but never noticed such a thing [excessive reverb]

I've heard lots of tube amps that did *not* do this. The most noticeable example of a tube amp imparting reverb was a McIntosh tube amp (IIRC) almost 30 years ago, and I don't remember the associated equipment. Because your premise (that a component cannot add information that isn't in the source) is generally correct, just wanted to mention the bare possibility of an exception.

Interesting re digital v analog reverb. Barry's the producer, wonder if he has any thoughts or info on the subject.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.