IGNORED

Mac Mini -- the very first steps

grigio

I have just bought a Naim DAC, Amarra and am in the process of buying a Mac Mini. I've read quite a few reviews in these forums, but apologize in advance if everything I am asking has already been answered.

My (two-part) question is what would you recommend for the Mac Mini configuration?

I was going to order the Mac Mini with Lion Server with 8GB RAM and 2x750GB Serial ATA Drives, but seems that some of you would avoid the Server configuration because two drives means risk of sound degradation and difficulties in having iTunes work with two drives. So I ruled out the Server configuration, but now my questions are:

(a) 2.5GHz vs 2.7GHz--is this simple always get the faster processor? I've already read enough to learn to go for 8GB in RAM.

(b) 256GB SSD and then buy external hard drive or some other combination? Not sure I understand, but Amarra webpage recommends SSD drive for the Operating System. What are the best recommendations for the external hard drive?

Notice--I've not asked about Lion vs Snow Leopard since I have no real choice as I am just now buying the Mac Mini. I also have more questions, but as recommended in the FAQs, better to start slow. Thanks again for any feedback.

2011 Mac Mini ->S/PDIF Bridge Halide Design -> Naim DAC -> Shindo Laboratory Cable -> Leben CS600 ->DeVore 9s

I would go forward with point A and B. that will have you in the right direction. I think you will be fine with Lion. The only issue for me is I enjoy operating in integer mode which isn't supported by Lion. You will probably find as many people who prefer Lion as those who prefer Snow Leopard.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

@Grigio - sounds like you're on your way to a nice system.

a) The speed difference won't matter. Either processor will be fast enough if your using you Mini for a dedicated music server. Get the faster one if you feel more confident with that & the extra cost doesn't bother you.

b) Yes, internal SSD + external HD is the best bet. For hard drive, depends on if you need a quiet/silent drive. If you can locate your hard drive away from your listening area (e.g. in a nearby closet), then you won't need to worry about getting a quiet hard drive. Then get a firewire-capable HD & use an USB/SPIF converter to connect to the Naim. Remember to use a Firewire connection to your hard drive if you are using USB to connect to the Dac, or use a USB connection to your HD if you are using firewire to connect to the Dac. (Firewire is generally recommended if your HD is remotely located, since firewire is capable of longer cable lengths than USB.)

I use 500GB Seagate FreeAgent, in a closet, connecting via FW and I'm satisfied with it. Ask 10 people on this site and your likely to get 10 different recommendations! If you need a silent drive, try searching this website, and I think you'll find some recommendations.

Have fun!

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Thanks. I won't be able to locate the HD away from the Mac mini, so I looked around on the website and ended up reading the reviews at Newegg as some recommended. Looks like the Western Digital ITB USB external HD (WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN) was one of the highest rated quiet HDs.

But apologies for being a bit confused. I have an S/PDIF Bridge by Halide Design for Mac mini to DAC, so if I am reading you rightly I need a Firewire-capable HD and not the one I found.

2011 Mac Mini ->S/PDIF Bridge Halide Design -> Naim DAC -> Shindo Laboratory Cable -> Leben CS600 ->DeVore 9s

First regarding silent HDD I use the Western Digital My Book for Mac (there are several versions available). They are on my audio equipment rack with the Mac Mini, DAC and amp. I never hear them. The issue regarding connection of the HDD and the DAC to the Mac Mini I believe is that is is recommended that they not share the same bus. For instance do not use USB for both the DAC and the HDD. in my case I am connected via FireWire from the HDD and USB to my DAC.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

@Wgscott,

Is the Oyen actually silent? It looks really cool - so friggin' small!

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

@Wgscott,

Is the Oyen actually silent? It looks really cool - so friggin' small!

Rascal

grigio: My configuration is performing flawlessly. You can read what I am using by reviewing my profile which is detailed expressly to inform others in case someone is interested in a particular choice and wants feedback about another user's experience.

For external drives, I purchased a Promise Pegasus 12TB Raid 5 which is performing flawlessly. The Promise comes in different configurations 4TB/6TB. For backup, OWC external sata drives connected by firewire as my Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 is connected by USB.

Absolutely no problems. Amarra sounds great but still performs without being problem free.

Good fortune with your selection and enjoyment with your new system whatever you choose.

Best,

Richard

I think if you were to ask a Naim head they would recommend you at least audition this in place of Dac and see what all the fuss is about as far as networking your music. It has almost as many inputs, will be able to be upgraded to AirPlay in the future and can run off from a simple NAS drive or inexpensive dedicated PC. Of course you can still use it conventionally with your Mini if you so choose.

Just my two cents but it is one slick way to get into computer audio.

PS. The new ND5 XS is also a smoking machine that plays 24/192 over the network, plays internet radio, etc. It is less than the price of a Naim Dac.

David