IGNORED

Pandora = great sound quality?

Since being bit by this hifi audio bug I have been searching for the best quality music possible for use with my setup. The Peachtree Nova limits me to 24/96 which from what I can tell is still very, very good. I have powered up the old Denon DVD Audio player, it was ok through the Nova, but nothing special, I've struggled with purchasing a SACD player (still am having that struggle), downloaded some HiRez albums from HDtracks which sounded pretty good actually. But the other day I remembered I had purchased a yearly membership with Pandora and so I switched it on over the Nova and was blown away. The music coming out of this Nova is some of the best music I have ever heard in my life.

What's my point? I'm not sure. Is Pandora really sending out music of that quality or does the Nova's DAC just really play well with Pandora? I know with the upgraded membership they claim to stream 192Kbps. This stuff sounds as good or better than HDTRacks and all of my WAVE rips. Anybody else share this experience?

Well some double blind testing indicates total transparency at 192 kbps and higher. I think those are rips done at variable bit rate rather than constant bit rate.

Now I think I can tell at 192 kbps though it isn't so obvious with VBR rips. I don't think I can tell at 320 kbps. In between I seem to get a feeling over time if I continue to listen. Just a feeling of being a bit less satisfied. Don't know how I would do on a double blind test at those rates.

I don't know how Pandora does its file prep, but well done 192 kbps isn't bad by any means. Sounds like the Peachtree Nova is a good unit.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

IMO streamed music from the web (even the higher quality subscription services) does not match up to CD quality music (16/44). Close enough for many, but in critical listening on a "good" system, one can tell the difference.

It is wonderful for house music. We use it through a Sonos system. I also find it relaxing to listen to while reading.

Before you give up on your CD player, try connecting its digital out to your your DAC, and then play the music. You might find the improvement you are looking for. This will be either a coaxial RCA plug, or the optical TOSLink connector.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I have had the Nova, and have the iNova now. They do sound great I agree. I usually listen to MOG at 320kbps and it sounds very very good. I have never been impressed with Pandoras streaming quality though. I think that if you plug your CD players digital out into the Nova and used its DAC, you may find your CD player is ok after all. I can not understand why a CD player would be so much less quality than Pandora except for the fact that the DAC in the Nova and iNova are really that good.

No electron left behind.