IGNORED

high resolution in your car

Hi all,

So as a result of a recent flood that took out my house and both cars I am in the market to replace most of my equepment.I Will have some questions in the future about my home system but for now I have a question about my car stereo. I know that this is not really a car audio site but I am guess that most people hear like to have good sounding music where every they go, plus the question also has to do with hi-res downloads. I was wondering if anybody has a head unit, or knows of one that will play hi-res downloads. I am thinking about going with an old alpine iva w200 because it plays DVD-A and I though that I read here that you can burn your downloads to DVD-a format. Is this the best, only way to go? I know that a lot of units play mp3 and ipod,in fact I will hook up my ipod as well, but will any play hi-res. Any suggestions and/or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ed

setup in my 2007 Infiniti M35X, which also plays DTS 5.1 (not really hirez but sounds great too)...and of course cd's. The car environment is a wonderful environment for surround audio, but 2 channel is less perfect for hirez mainly due to high noise floor and often difficult imaging. Still, it beats cd!

Also, I need to play my DVD-Audio disc originals in my car because it will not allow DVD-Audio DVD-R copies to play through the watermarks (15 seconds, then silence). My Oppo will play them fine, so I play the originals in the car (and take special care of them with good quality DVD storage, etc), and my DVD-R copies in the house. Go figure.

I have two iPods in the glove box. They stream digitally into an Alpine double DIN dash unit where the DAC is located. It also provides cover art when available. Music is Apple Lossless. It does play video but I could care less. It works, sounds better than most, and it gets me around town. The rest of the system is basically JL Audio.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Thank you for the responses so far. I have a number of DVD-A already and from what i have ready about the unit I am looking at it plays DVD-R so I think it would play if I burned adisk. However do I want to listen to one album at a time or would I rather put my 160 gig ipod with Apple Lossless in the glove box and just let it play? If that is the case then get a new unit onsale and just have it play sirius and ipod and save high-res for at homw. Choices, choice. I would be grateful for any more suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

on copied DVD-Audio discs are two entirely different things. My car player can play DVD-R's too (as long as they are not protected MLP'd DVD-Audio content). I haven't found a car DVD-Audio deck that ignores watermarks. Good luck (but transcribing them to lossy-but still-sounds-good-in-a-car DTS is not the end of the world).

Hi Ted,

I guess you have helped me figure out the main question. I own about 15-20 DVD-A and figured I would bring the orginals in the car. The key is that I am starting to purchase more music from HDTracks and so I am wondering:

1. Can I burn HDTracks on to a DVD-R using DVD-A format.

2. Will it play on a car DVD-A player?

3. Is it still in high res or is it just mixed down for the car?

4. The watermark is the copywrite protection, right? If not what is the watermark? Will that be an issue with DVD-A car unit?

5. Is there an easier way to go?

6. Am I just crazy and over thinking this?

Okay so I know that the answer to 6 is yes and yes but any other answers would be helpful.

Thanks again,

Ed

I recently went to much effort assembling a music server using a laptop and an external DAC from Music Fidelity. I picked both as they both operated with DC current like my mobile system. I had really high expectations that I would improve sound over a more simple IPod connection. Two things I contended with . . . noise floor too high to appreciate a difference at any low volumes and distortion too high (product of car stereo) when listening loud and/or dynamic. I know this is not the system concept you are looking for but it may help you in your sound quality expectations.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR