IGNORED

Exclusive Mode?

I've been wondering how I set Exclusive Mode in Windows so that bit perfect audio is reached? I have read the Windows 7 guide that Dave wrote several times now and I think I FINALLY have grasped it. I keep thinking that Windows needs to be configured to run in exclusive mode, but that is not the case at all is it? Once you set the Windows audio devices up the way Dave recommends, then it is the APPLICATIONS responsibility to run in Exclusive Mode...is this correct?

So using JRivers as an example, I set the Windows audio devices up like Dave suggests, and then inside JRivers I select 24/96 and WASAPI - Event Style. By using WASAPI I am telling JRIVERS to go to Exclusive Mode which will in turn stream 24/96 data.

Am I missing something here or do I finally understand the process a little better?

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ, but ya doesn’t hafta call me...Dave

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

Ah ha, now I get it :~)

In the simplest sense you don't have to worry about the OS or setting a sample rate in J River. Set all your volumes for 100% and set the J River output mode to WASAPI - Event Style.

Remember that J River itself has a few different volume controls. See the screenshot below.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thank you Chris. That does seem awful simple and I like simple ;-)

I will give this a try tonight. Thanks as well for the volume tips.

By the way, I have only used iTunes and Media Monkey but the sound JRiver plays just seems so much better and that's before the 24/96 obviously. Is it me or are the players that much better than each other?

Hi mcatucci, yes JRiver is responsible for exlusive mode. If you go control panel -> sound and click on your playback device and right click properties, you will notice that the Advanced tab is missing when JRiver is playing. That means JRiver is exclusively in contol of the sound (and therefore sample rate/bit depth, etc.) and not the OS.

I can't comment on other players, but Chris's review of JRiver and plus this info: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audiophile_Info is what sold me and I have been very happy with the sound!