IGNORED

Bel Canto v. MSS HiFi aka the Audio Pimp

I really sympathize with the Audio Pimp in the sense that he is trying to sell gear for what the market actually wants to pay for it, not dealer prices. However, as an anarcho-capitalist, I totally respect the dealer's right to set the terms of sale with their dealers anyway that suits their long-term interests, even if it means artificial pricing on some items. The market will always take care of manufacturers that set their pricing too high, no matter how they do it.

Personally, I would not buy from MSSHiFi, but I hope that he stays in business just the same.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I bought my speakers from these guys via eBay at 33% off MSRP. They were advertised as demo and arrived with few blemishes (few minor dents in the grills, minor nicks, torn gel on the bottom). Since this mfg does not sell online nor are there authorized internet resellers, it was impossible for me to get the speakers shipped to Japan. I can buy in Japan (probably not authorized reseller either), but they're highly marked up. So these guys made it possible for me to own a pair here, at a very good price and low shipping cost to boot.

I'm not endorsing them, but my experience has been positive, and I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Oppo UDP-205/Topping D90 MQA/eBay HDMI->I2S/Gallo Reference 3.5/Hsu Research VTF-3HO/APB Pro Rack House/LEA C352 amp/laser printer 14AWG power cords/good but cheap pro audio XLR cables.

• 6 months later...

I attached the judge's findings of fact and ruling on Bel Canto's Motion to Enjoin the pimp. It looks likes the Pimp would have been in the clear on this one if he had just not altered the serial numbers on some of his gear. I partly agree with the Judge's ruling but disagree that any legit customer would be "confused." Who in their right mind would buy gear from a guy that calls himself the audio pimp and would expect a full manufacturer warranty? I know the pimp has been accused of many other crimes against audiophiles, so I won't get into that now. I do, however, standby the principal that unauthorized re-sellers should be able to sell gear at lower prices as long as they don't act deceptively in some other way. I think Bel Canto's argument that they need dealers to do demos in brick and mortar strores rings hollow with me. I am rarely impressed with dealer demos and have rarely heard a dealer system set up better than mine in my home. I am much more of an in-home demo guy.

mss hifi.pdf

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I recommend anyone who contemplates dealing with MSS HiFi reading those threads first:

mss hifi took my money

mss hifi took my money 2

funny chapter msshifi saga

In short:

1. Not an authorised reseller for any Manufacturer. Has no distribution or "factory" relationships for product supply, repair, modification or warranty.

2. Manufacturers have sort injunctions against for misrepresentation & trademark breaches. eg. Bello Canto.

3. Deals in grey market.

4. Suspected of "rotating" stolen goods.

5. Known to remove or deface serial numbers on equipment so they cannot be traced back to source.

6. Suspected of running drug & prostitution racket.

7. Known to scam international buyers by not delivering said goods.

8. Banned from Audiogon.

9. Has criminal records with felony convictions.

10. Just Google "Johnny Boey". The search results will tell all.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3