IGNORED

MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the email that it has shipped! Really been waiting for this - can't wait to evaluate it. Will post impressions soon.

NB: this has been highly evaluated in Europe, where it's been available for awhile.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the V-Link 192 for several days, but haven't had as much time as I would like to audition. I put it in the office system (high end electronics and big Maggies) and have tried A/B'ing it against the V-Link II, using the Dell, and the other Apple Mini/Toslink system down here. It seems to be a bit more sensitive to "interrupts" from the Dell than the V-Link II, for some reason. So, I'm having to plan the serious listening sessions around the need to check email, internet, etc. It just pauses for a short time, but it's annoying. Not sure why it's more sensitive to such interrupts than the V-Link II, which also get interrupted, but seems to be less of a problem. I've tried varying the ASIO buffers, latency compensation, etc., and it's manageable, but enough of an annoyance that I'm not using it as much as I hoped to.

Now to the sound: this is pretty tough - at the level of performance already established with the V-Link II with the high end DAC down here, the differences are extremely small. But, I think I can already hear a little better rendering of space between instruments in orchestral recordings, and a bit less stridency in very dynamic passages with massed female voices, for instance. But it's subtle, not "smack ya in da face" better.

I think this is only really going to come into its own when I have more 192 khz material here. Also, my reference DAC, although having by far the best 24/96 performance of any DACs I own, doesn't accept 192 khz material via coaxial SPDIF - it's lacking the ability to process that signal, (although it does upsample to 192 (yeah, big deal)). So, I've only listened to 192 files using the V-DAC II, which has significantly lower analog performance and lacks balanced outputs for the high end preamp down here.

Still, the 192khz performance, even fed into the preamp single-ended from the V-DAC II is encouraging. I will have to look into finding a DAC capable of the analog performance of the Empirical Audio Turbomodded/ECD-1 here that also has 192khz input capability. Unfortunately, that's probably going to cost at least several thousand dollars, and will almost certainly have on-board USB 2.0 192khz capability, so I'm really not sure overall if this is going to end up being a great purchase for me. The V-Link 192, while providing a small margin of better performance with 24/96 material, may not warrant its 400 dollar price tag for everyone. I don't know which DACs have the ability to receive its 192 signals, while also lacking their own ability to handle USB at 192.

I do like the different color LED indicators showing what's being passed, from 44.1 to 192. I tend to believe Musical Fidelity when they tout its "galvanic isolation," (although the review by Hifi News wasn't certain about it), so its possible that alone is responsible for the slight improvements I'm hearing over the V-Link II in 24/96 material. All in all, this seems to be a decent niche product - just not sure it fits my niche that well. 400 bucks is a lot when there are complete DACs available that do a decent job with the enhanced USB/192khz processing that don't cost all that much more.

Can anyone recommend a high end DAC that accepts and processes 192 through coax or XLR, yet doesn't have its own onboard processing for 192 using USB? I may browse through Audiogon - there may be some bargains available.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

nice review. I suspect I'd be disappointed in the Burr-Brown OPA-2134 analog end, as compared to the re-worked (by Steve Nugent) ECD-1's analog section, which uses a lot of top shelf discrete components, but who knows? It's certainly cheap. What I'm looking for is an equivalent high end DAC produced recently enough to handle the V-Link 192's 192khz input (but not so recent that it has its own 192 USB capability!), process it with exquisite D/A finesse, and then output the liquid analog sound I'm getting now, etc., etc. This DAC is amazing, probably equaling anything out there up to 96 khz, which is really a shame. I wonder if it's possible to modify its digital processor... hmmm....

But thanks, I may pick one up to replace the V-DACII in another system.

Cheers!

Yes. The Naim DAC. received very good reports and now (I believe) does 192. It did not until recently I think. It is the same basic ciruitry as the DAC in my 192 capable ND5XS, though that is 'cost reduced' to some extent. It sounds excellent.

Though I don't see why you specifically ask that it not have USB input, other than not to 'waste' the V-Link. Naim don't appear to like USB, but I suspect they will change their minds soon.

Yes, that's right - only reason is to make use of the V-Link192 - else it goes back...

I'll check out the Naim - haven't heard much about it. Steve Nugent is still building SOTA stuff - just read his forum over at Audio Circle - his current DAC is nearly 6 grand, though, sadly...

I'd really like to find a DAC that's a few years old, with equivalent analog section to the one he modded for me...

Don't wanna spend five large...

Edit: wow, big bucks, there's one used on Audiogon for over 3K - hoping to find something a bit less pricey. The Empirical/ECD-1 (although retailing at over 3K combined) cost me a lot less...

Let me add a thought - I'd go in for more money if I felt it was truly necessary to get near-SOTA performance. Steve sells expensive clock options to get the most out of (already expensive) DAC/Processors. My feeling is, looking at the published jitter specs of the V-Link series, save the money and trust their clocking, putting most of the investment into the analog section of the dac.

The Naim is good, but not the best value for money. The V-Link should be ok with any older DAC. I purchased the V-Link II as a stop-gap measure and it was fine. The M F DACs are good value, but I think their new (I believe) one is async anyway, and if so, would again 'waste' your V-Link. You might look at the older V-DAC, in the black case, if you can find one. That might be a cost effective match. Or even the Cambridge Dacmagic. Again, not the 'Plus' which is async and more expensive. I got very good, but not 'high end' results with that combination. 96K max for the Dacmagic on coax or Toslink.

I had some time this afternoon to experiment, so I tried the V-Link 192 on the Mac Mini. I had just about given up on using USB with the M/M, due to the terrible performance over the V-Link II. Well, it appears the "galvanic isolation" of the VL192 is right on the money, because it sounds marvelous with the Mac Mini - maybe better than it does on the Dell.

Gonna have to listen some more, but this is making me re-evaluate the Mini (latest build - LION - 8gb ram). Gadzooks! If I like this I'm going to have convert a lot more FLACs with XLD...

There is no "absolute zero" for jitter, although it would be nice.

I'd infer from the published graphic that it's pretty low, though.

The manual is literally a folded piece of paper...

These are minimalist packaging, hang on a wall peg like cables, devices.

I personally love them...

Yeah, I used to have a V-DAC II and remember the manual was pretty much a joke. I remember there being a few specs in the back so I thought it might be the same in the V-Link 192. Thanks for the help and I am glad you are starting to like it more. I am starting to lean towards it over the Audiophilleo due to the overall perceived value. I am glad to hear that it uses dual clocks. Do you happen to have a reference for that?

They are an odd outfit. Very small, and the owner is somewhat eccentric. He also manufactures what he wants, not what you want, as you can see from his somewhat disjointed range. To him, his website is a boring chore that nowadays he is compelled to create.

But his stuff is *very* good. Your V-Link 192 will be the equal of any converter at any price. Maybe better. And regarding big class A amps Nelson Pass, though good, is not even fit to sit at their feet. (not that I would wish to be controversial or anything).

Thank you very much Downrange. I have Googled reviews till I am blue in the face and came up empty.

Wow. This unit even comes with an ASIO driver. Very cool. I am not to sure about the reviewers comments regarding the questionable galvanic isolation. I really have a hard time believing that MF is lying about the feature. I agree with Mark Powell's assessment above.

Oh, I definitely agree. I'm satisfied that MF has implemented the galvanic isolation well for VLink192, and, much as I admire Steve N's work with Empirical, I am reluctant to spend the extra money for his USB converter and clocks. The important thing is to manage the data packets with low jitter, and it's pretty obvious MF has done that with their clocks. I'm not denying there's "another level" possible there, I'm just acknowledging the plateau of economical available performance, especially in the digital signal realm, has moved dramatically closer to the state-of-the-art.

And I'm finding the better the DAC systems become, the less important the amplification chain seems to be. I'm going to emphasize more the "analog" side of the conversion, from here on out, I think, that is to say the transformation points between electronics and sound. This has always kind of been my philosophy (buy the best speakers you can afford), but the transparency of the digital process and the cost break-through we're experiencing with Async USB just reinforces it for me. Speakers (and microphones, since I dabble in hi-res recording in PCM and DSD), high quality analog circuits for all low-level signals, adequate mid-level controls (preamp) and large signal handling, good cables to connect everything.

The other unexpected benefit I'm finding with the V192 is the improvement it's yielding in playback of 16 bit FLAC rips of CD. Yes, there's still a trace of that CD harshness on certain material, and I don't have any trouble telling apart the 24/96 songs from the exact same songs on CD, but it's getting closer. I'm listening to some ambient music right now (Mars Lasar - The Music of Olympic National Park), and, frankly, it's pretty much the equal of most of the 96/24 downloads. Now, granted, this is not challenging material, in the sense of, let's say, Beethoven's 9th Symphony's chorale conclusion, but the point stands. Dynamics, imaging, texture, are all superb using the VL192.

It's always nice to get some unexpected benefits - I don't think I will be returning this unit, even though I'm not yet getting the full benefit from it with the few 192 khz files I have. It's giving value added to everything it passes.

I'm very interested in this unit to use with my Rega DAC, as its USB is only 44.1/48. I'm currently using the toslink out of my Mac Mini, but that will only pass 24/96 to the DAC. Putting this in between would let me get to 24/192 over coax at a reasonable price point.

Curt S.[br]Long time music lover - giving computer audio to my tubes a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently hooked V-Link 192 to my MF M1 DAC via AES and the sound is marvelous, especially of all things, 44.1kHz (could be just new owner excitement!) Lights on both pieces and Audirvana indicate 192 decodes as expected, with the few 192kHz rips that I own. I can't really say that my 65-yr old ears hear that much difference between 96 & 192, but the OVERALL sound seems to be improved. This week-end I plan to do some A/B vs my V-Link I.

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player