IGNORED

MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER

But the V-link 192 is apparently a very good value for the money in converters. Very close to the more expensive devices for much less money.

This is what I disagree.

Levono T400 2.93Ghz T9800 128GB SSD --> Own player programmed against event style WASAPI driver / Mac Pro 2008 8 core 20GB with Sonnet Tango USB FireWire --> Own player programmed against the lowest level HAL / iPhone 5s --> Own player programmed against the HAL -->Cardas Clear Serial Buss (USB) 3m --> Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter --> Audioquest VDM-1 1m --> Densen B-410XS (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect 1m --> Densen B-110 Plus (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference speaker 3m --> Dynaudio Contour 1.1

Opinions vary...

Listening again this morning to the marvelous Bach Cantatas BWV 80 from eClassical - (Vol 27) - I realized I had not yet restored the flacs back to wav on these downloads. I listened for awhile, then converted flac to wav and played back the same tracks again. Again, the difference was unmistakable with the V-Link 192 - much better space and delineation between instruments. Before the VL-192, it was essentially impossible to hear that difference. Vocals, while more defined, lost not only the "fuzziness" of the flac playback, but, more importantly, did not pick up any added glare or shrillness. All the music just a bit more "there."

Musical Fidelity is to be commended for putting out such an incredible product in this price range. The HiFi news review is worth relinking at this point:

http://www.titan3d.co.th/content-VLINK192Review-3-5333-103099-1.html

I went back through the thread and compared my initial impressions (not really super impressed at first) with the evolution of the sound as I've lived with this device over the months. Most important was moving in high-end components from some of the upstairs systems to focus maximum resolution on the CA system here in the office. The real differences didn't really become evident until I used the AES out of the VL192 into the Turbomodded ECD-1 fed balanced into the reference EC 4.7 preamp and of course balanced through the amps to the big Maggies. Little things make a big difference. Central to overall performance is the Dell XP computer itself, which is revealed as vastly superior to the Mac LION platforms - not a subtle thing, but very, very evident. So much so that I would question the possibility of even hearing the potential of the VL-192 from a MAC LION platform. I haven't experienced the older MAC OS.

Having fun evaluating, but this bridge will do until something demonstrably better comes along - it's been nothing short of amazing in this system.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

• 3 weeks later...
I continue to marvel at the improvements the VLink 192 has made on all music, even ripped CD. I don't really have that many 192 khz downloads, but it just is so much better with everything compared to the (excellent) VLink II. It's hard to imagine anything that could improve beyond this sound - it's spooky real on much of my material.

I have improved the sound from the 192 quite a bit by cutting the screen on the usb cable, much better bass and detail, have been told it also works for the VLink II.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

• 4 months later...
I know it's been a while, but what do you mean by "cutting the screen" on the usb cable?
the usb cable spec does not have the screen connected at the receiving end, so it involves peeling back the insulation to reveal the mesh screen and cutting the screen in 2 and then taping it back up. one to try on a cheap cable first.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Does anyone know if it's true that the V-DAC Mk II already has the converter built into it?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Does anyone know if it's true that the V-DAC Mk II already has the converter built into it?

The V-DAC MkII basically has the V-Link (supporting 24/96) built in. This review is of the superior V-Link 192 which supports 24/192 and is generally built using better engineering.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone changed the USB Latency Mode to Minimum Latency in the device driver... it DEFINITELY improves on the 192. I was very surprised by this one little change. One thing you will have to do (Win7/8) is change the power management to High Performance so that the songs don't skip and pop as it requires very high response from the processor this way.

I've gone back and forth and it's definitely as good of an "upgrade" to the sound as when I got the unit. And at the $199 price, there's not a converter out there at this price that sounds as good.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a demo unit from AudioAdvisor for $180.

I am currently running FLAC files from a PC 4TB RAID server > USB cable > MF V-Link Mk II > Silflex Toslink > Schiit Gungnir. When the 192 arrives next week I will be replacing the Silflex Toslink with a Blue Jeans coax.

When Dan (PewterTA) brought over his 192 I could easily hear far more than what I consider $200 worth of of improved sound quality.

It is totally counterintuitive to this mechanically inclined analog loving curmudgeon that adding even more circuits & hardware between the media source & audio transducer would yield better quality & more natural reproduction.

As much as I appreciate what CA has to offer, I miss not being able to actually understand what the hell is going on in my equipment. I guess I just don't like feeling as though I am a fool & should just trust the 'new-fangled tech'. But it is quite obvious from reading here that I am not the only one who is not completely 'enlightened'.

Oh well, this old analog 'dude' will just continue doing what he has always done......trust his ears.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a V-Link 192 last week and am really enjoying playing my hi res music through it thus far. One issue that I'm having is that 16 bit/44.1 files seem to be automatically up converted to 24 bit. Is there a way to not have this happen? I'm using a Mac Mini, iTunes and bit perfect.

It's not really upconverted to 24bit, as in it doesn't change anything within the signal that has data. All it does is place 0's for those 8 extra bits which your dac just ignores, so you're really getting 16/44.1kHz, but the dac "technically" sees 24bit.

It's not really upconverted to 24bit, as in it doesn't change anything within the signal that has data. All it does is place 0's for those 8 extra bits which your dac just ignores, so you're really getting 16/44.1kHz, but the dac "technically" sees 24bit.

Hmm, ok. Bit perfect is showing these files as playing at 24/44.1 Should I just ignore that and rest assured they are 16/44.1?

FWIW, since 2 weeks I have an external power supply from http://www.squeeze-upgrade.com/index.php?language=en

Definitely worth the money spent (€105). The Sound became much more transparent and resolution got a lot better too.

The plug goes between the USB cable and the converter. It breaks the power line from the PC side.

my system: Intel based music pc running Win7 64bit -> Foobar2000 -> Jplay -> USB out to MF Vlink 192 -> Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC -> Lyngdorf SDAI-2175 Amp -> Intertechnik DIY Speakers EX4 HE (with Seas Excel Drivers, Audyn and Mundorf caps and coils), Cables by Nordost

• 1 month later...