IGNORED

MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER

Likewise, I'm currently running my Rega-DAC with toslink out of my MBPro and so I'm also interested in potential improvements this may bring to the table.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I am running the vlink192 directly into the rca digital input of my benchmark dac1.....

best sound my system has ever made,.....at all resolution levels....

they are going to sell like hotcakes......

win8 (on Fujitsu ah532 , 6Gmem), Musical Fidelity vlink192, Benchmark Dac1-usb, Jriver mediacenter 18, HDTracks 192/24 (mostly), DROBO FS, 2xNuForce Ref. 18 monoblocks, Paradigm Sig s8's, 2xParadigm Sub2's (240v, two seperate, independent electrical circuits feeding these), various high-end analog cables, ZeroSurge power filters (except on subs), sennh. hd800 headphones.

I continue to marvel at the improvements the VLink 192 has made on all music, even ripped CD. I don't really have that many 192 khz downloads, but it just is so much better with everything compared to the (excellent) VLink II. It's hard to imagine anything that could improve beyond this sound - it's spooky real on much of my material.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

Everything sounds better w/ V-Link 192k vs my old V-Link whose USB is only capable of 96k. V-Link 192 ouputs only via AES (which I am using) or Coax, no Opitcal. V-Link I/II do not have AES, only Optical or Coax.

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player

I feel same re: 44.1k rips sounding better. So it must not be my imagination, although I will be some A/B comparisons this week-end.

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player

why wouldn't it be? my understanding is the DAC that must be capable, not V-Link, but I'll double check tonight to be sure. my V-Link1 hooked to my MF DAC1 definitely did integer via A+.

CONFIRMED!

the Beatles 24/44.1 (USB stick) never sounded so good via HPs! of course, my SPL 2Control (HP amp) w/ crossfeed adj. helps!

there was a review some months back of that USB stick that really praised it very highly. People are beginning to wake up to 24 bit, and what it actually means to the sound they want to get from their equipment. We are in the beginning of a paradigm shift away from CD and 16 bit, imo.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

There have been direct comparisons published to some more expensive converters. The Berkeley and Off Ramp are better (acc'd to reports), but like in all audio, there is the law of diminishing returns. Costing 4 times as much gets you an audible boost in performance, but something relatively small. Whether that's "worth it" is an individual decision.

I don't think this has anything to do with software. It has to do with better clocks, and better regulation of the electricity.

But the V-link 192 is apparently a very good value for the money in converters. Very close to the more expensive devices for much less money.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the device here in Nordic backyards. I've been now testing this for two days. And I have to say that this is yet another USB device where the USB port still matters. They should have really included a separate PSU connection instead of using the USB power.

I have an Intel mainboard and then additional PCIe card with two USB and Firewire connections.

V-Link192 produces MUCH worse output when connected to the add-on card, so much that DAC doesn't work properly. Works fine with the mainboard's USB port though...

AES/EBU output is a nice feature...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

about the USB differences. I've not experienced any issues yet with old Dell or the new Mac Mini.

You are right the AES/EBU is great! I'm feeding my ECD-1 (turbomodded by Steve Nugent) balanced into an Electrcompaniet 4.7 preamp, balanced into Parasound A21 - balanced all throughout the analog chain! The AES/EBU feed does seem to tighten up and enliven things slightly over the sp/dif coaxial feed.

I also agree with comment earlier about the Off Ramp. I'd love to try one to see if it betters this little gem, but it's a lot more money. I have been mightily impressed with Steve's work on the ECD-1, so much so that I doubt I can find a DAC for under 5K that has its analog performance...

I just received my V-Link 192 today from Amazon. I've only had time to listen for about thirty minutes, but I have to say that the improvement over the original V-Link is quite obvious. Don't get me wrong. I really liked the sound of the origional V-Link, which will now be relocated to a second system. The sound of the V-Link 192 though is much more "natural" I would say. The backgrounds seem more black so to speak and there is much more space around voices and instruments. The soundstage has definitely become deeper as well. The two most apparent things though, I thought, were that I found myself turning the volume up higher an higher and still enjoying the music with no loud passage turn down as I had done with the original V-Link, and the other was the naturalness and accuracy of the bass. The original V-Link provided very solid bass, but perhaps a smidge over emphasized. The V-Link 192 shows none of this coloration. I ran both the original V-Link and the V-Link 192 in WASAPI Event Style using a Revelation Audio Labs CryoSilver reference dual conduit usb cable to feed them. The rest of the associated equipment is below:

J River Media Center 17

Better Cables Silver Serpent II XLR for AES/EBU connection

Anthem D2V (pre/pro)

Joseph Audio RM55LE speakers

Velodyne DD-12

Cardas Neutral Reference speaker cable and XLR interconnects

Bel Canto 500M monoblock amplifiers

PS Audio Power Plant Premier

Black Sand Cables Violet Z1 MkII Power Cords (Anthem,Bel Canto)

VH Audio Flavor 4 power cord (PS Audio PPP)

Overall I am finding the 192 to be a much more balanced sound. I also like the fact that I now can run my J River without any DSP processing. The original V-Link forced J River to convert all music to 24bit first to work. Now I can get bit perfect playback even with 16bit tracks. I can agree with everyone else too that even 16bit 44.1 tracks sounds waaaay better than on any other source or through the original V-Link. Since I am more and more moving towards a nearly all digital format source system the extra expense of the V-Link 192 is proving to be a gamble that seems to be paying off quite well.

• 1 month later...

I think "testimony" is the right word here, as I've found this device to be something akin to the "second coming." It has truly revolutionized my entire take on the world of Audiophile, opening up what I would say are entirely new levels of resolution and realism. Yes, it has made CD "almost listenable." In fact, though, I DO listen to my CD Wav files now, although I'm occasionally irritated by their lingering issues - but they are much, much better.

But the real eye-opener has been (as discussed in another thread) their ability to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to higher resolutions. For example, when I was using the V-Link II (a real contender before the 192!) it was nigh impossible to hear a difference between the playback of, let's say, "Little Girl Blue" from Diana Krall's "From This Moment On" DL from HDTracks in FLAC (2579 Bitrate), and the same DL converted via Goldwave back into WAV (4608 Bitrate). The cello solo in the opening bars has real depth, and there's resin on the bow/strings that's completely missing from the FLAC. The V-Link II masks this. Ms. Krall's voice is oh, so much more spookily "in the room." This is what makes music worthwhile.

The one change in the system is the V-Link 192. Everything else is unchanged. This bridge also drops low tide on the computer platform bathers, and it is revealed just who has their trunks on. The Mac LION platform for instance, which is revealed as a strictly mid-fi platform, even with the excellent Audirvana Plus software. (Thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/threads/11814-CD-Player-vs-Computer/page2?p=154545#post154545)

And it costs 399 bucks. Amazing.

Anyone else?

Difference, for example, between Musical Fidelity V-LINK192 and WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter is night and day.

With WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter there is much more detail and dynamics, especially in higher and lower frequencies. The stereoimage and 3d image is also much better with WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter.

Good test song is, for example, Jean-Michel Jarre: Aero; 11 Zoolookology.

Levono T400 2.93Ghz T9800 128GB SSD --> Own player programmed against event style WASAPI driver / Mac Pro 2008 8 core 20GB with Sonnet Tango USB FireWire --> Own player programmed against the lowest level HAL / iPhone 5s --> Own player programmed against the HAL -->Cardas Clear Serial Buss (USB) 3m --> Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter --> Audioquest VDM-1 1m --> Densen B-410XS (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect 1m --> Densen B-110 Plus (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference speaker 3m --> Dynaudio Contour 1.1

the WaveLink HS 24/192 USB is over twice the cost of the V-Link 192 with only ONE output.

Musical Fidelity V-LINK192 has also only ONE output "coax".

Levono T400 2.93Ghz T9800 128GB SSD --> Own player programmed against event style WASAPI driver / Mac Pro 2008 8 core 20GB with Sonnet Tango USB FireWire --> Own player programmed against the lowest level HAL / iPhone 5s --> Own player programmed against the HAL -->Cardas Clear Serial Buss (USB) 3m --> Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter --> Audioquest VDM-1 1m --> Densen B-410XS (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect 1m --> Densen B-110 Plus (Cardas Golden Reference Power 1.5m) --> Cardas Neutral Reference speaker 3m --> Dynaudio Contour 1.1

Musical Fidelity V-LINK192 has also only ONE output "coax".

and AES, as I have on as a loan.

$7000?

I believe even the newest Off-Ramp is in the 1-1.5K range...

We're talking 399.00 here....

So, not sure what the "disagree" means... No one said it would beat everything in the world, at any price, just that it makes a stupendous improvement of the V-Link II, and, frankly, has revolutionized my CA playback, for a relative song.

I kind of expected we might have some comments from folks with multi-Kilobuck equipment - kind of a compliment to the V-Link 192.

For the record, VL 192 has AES, and coaxial, and does NOT have optical, since that would only pass 96 khz. It IS also galvanically isolated, which is probably responsible for the amazing improvement over the V-Link II, which I also still have.

Edit: wish I could get a Wavelength "on loan" :)

$7000?

I believe even the newest Off-Ramp is in the 1-1.5K range...

We're talking 399.00 here....

So, not sure what the "disagree" means... No one said it would beat everything in the world, at any price, just that it makes a stupendous improvement of the V-Link II, and, frankly, has revolutionized my CA playback, for a relative song.

I kind of expected we might have some comments from folks with multi-Kilobuck equipment - kind of a compliment to the V-Link 192.

For the record, VL 192 has AES, and coaxial, and does NOT have optical, since that would only pass 96 khz. It IS also galvanically isolated, which is probably responsible for the amazing improvement over the V-Link II, which I also still have.

Edit: wish I could get a Wavelength "on loan" :)

WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter is $900. It improves my Densen B-410XS a lot compared with Musical Fidelity V-LINK192 that is much worse than playing cd with my Densen B-410XS.