IGNORED

I really need to stay off Audiogon... :D

I can't help but want to buy something to "upgrade" my system every time I browse through the for sale section. Not that I am unhappy with what I have, I am very satisfied, but there is always that little voice I guess we all have, that continues to suggest buying something fancier and more expensive.

Currently, I am lusting after the Cary SLP-05 and a set of Cary 805AE Monoblocks. Couple that with my Cary Phono amp and I wonder, is that too much Cary? ;-)

No electron left behind.

I love Audiogon both for buying and selling. With the help of many of the very cool people on Audiogon, a lot of patience and research I have been able to put together a Bel Canto, Acoustic Zen system with a NAD receiver thrown in as pre-amp/surround processor for around $10K with a retail value well North of $25K. Not all Audiogon but opportunistic buys at the right time to further the ultimate goal - whatever that is. I would not buy receivers or anything with moving parts without some sort of warranty but my speakers, amp, interconnects and various other items are all from Audiogon. You also get a lot of inspiration to check out off brands while cruising the site. I have leaned a lot from that community. So far they have all been top notch! So back to your question, I have come to the conclusion that in order to get a well balanced system do yourself a favor and stick with one or two brands. It will simplify your life and get you to audio nirvana, or close to, quicker. Then you can start mixing things up, which Audiogon allows you to do without loosing your shirt every time. As a side note I have found that all the smaller. exclusive manufacturers provide excellent after market service even if you did not buy new/from them so no worries. So my recommendation is to Cary away and see where it takes you!