IGNORED

Mac, WAV, and Reference Recordings HRx's

I have a question....someone will have to let me know if it is possible to do.

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo (2.26 GHz) processor. I am hoping to try to download some HRx recordings (entire albums, not the freebie samples) from Reference Recordings into my MacBook Pro. I have MAX software.

Is it technically possible to download HRx's into my Mac in the form of a WAV file? I have read some of the specs on RR's website, but I don't know if I'm getting the entire gist of being able to download HRx's via WAV file into such a computer.

Please offer any suggestions or comments. If it is possible, when I go to "Preferences" in MAX, which form of WAV do I select (Microsoft, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

You can download "slightly upsampled" HRx recordings from HDtracks (24/88 and 24/96) but the original HRx recordings are delivered via physical disc, DVD-R's and then ripped to a hard drive.

WAV is wav, don't worry too much about versions (yes, Micrsoft is good choice). As a MAC user you can convert to wav, aiff or apple lossless and still retain the hirez quality. MAX should be able to do any of them.

Hi audiophile65,

With Reference Recordings HRx discs, there is no download and nothing to convert. Simply insert the disc into your Mac, drag the files to the desktop and you're ready to play them.

The files can be added to iTunes (and converted to .aif via iTunes if you want to or simply added as the .wav files they are).

In other words, your Mac can play .wav files as easily as it can play .aif files.

To hear the files at their best though, you'll need a DAC that is capable of decoding the 176.4k sampling rate. Otherwise, your Mac will downsample while you play the file (which may or may not make a difference to you).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

"converted to .aif via iTunes if you want"

iTunes (on Mac at least) truncates 24 bits to 16 bits when converting to AIFF (or to WAV). It correctly converts to ALAC, though.

24 bit tracks can be added to iTunes safely, just don't use iTunes to convert them to anything except ALAC.

XLD is the app I recommend for these conversions. Max can do the job, too.