IGNORED

MacBook Pro or IMac for Streaming?

Hello!

I ask for the help!

Now I want to buy new hardware and stand before the decision, which is better for audio streaming with Audirvana or other hi res player: new 21" IMac or 13" Macbook Pro?

Which device would sound best?

Thank you

Michael

In my mind since they would be the same OS and if the processor and memory specs were about the same I don’t know why there would be a difference in audio performance. I have used an iMac and was satisfied and moved to the Mac Mini for convenience and functionality within my audio system.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

differences. The power supplies are certainly different, and the MBP is probably optimized for lower power consumption-this may result in better sound. The MBP can also be run on battery power, some people report better sound when running on battery. Sonic differences may also depend on what DAC interface you are planning on using-with USB different ports have proven to sound different, so how the individual ports are configured on the iMac vs the MBP may have an impact.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I don't know if there is a sonic difference between the 2 (and barrows could well be right as to why the macbook is better) but the macbook pro takes up a lot less room and so it would be easier, I think, to set up as part of a music system. It has only 2 usb ports and at least on my model, one of the two is clearly superior to the other and that is the one I use for the HRT streamer. Barrows is quite right that not all usb ports are the same.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)