JPG.JPG

I have noticed recently some Joni Mitchell albums mentioned so would like to add my favourite; Mingus. Not your usual folksy Joni. More jazz, a bit Mingusesque and maybe less for general consumption, all the more appealing to me. The tracks follow a loose biographical story somewhat like Lou Reed and John Cales' Songs for Drella about Andy Warhol.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

images.jpg

I tried unsuccessfully to find this at the local library last night but ended up with Vilde Frang's version of Britten and Korngold violin concertos. Despite the high expectations, somewhat disappointed with the Britten effort. This is in comparison to the version with Linus Roth and the Deutsches Symphonie Berlin 2015. This recording has more of everything; impact, emotion and ends up on the playlist often. Highly recommended.

Martin

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that the image on the Milstein Album is a bit gratuitous.  Companies struggle at times, especially with classical cover art.  DGs' yellow banners look particularly dated.

One of my favourite covers and also a great album; Grace Jones, Island life

51ZOfqxJujL._SS500.jpg

island-life-52e4d0a9ac345.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been listening to Zimmermann playing Shostakovich at the Elbphilharmonie.  I had high expectations from several positive comments about the hall's acoustics.  No complaints there but the soloist is a little too prominent relative to the orchestra.  The greater problem for me is the speed the movements are played, much faster than I'm used to.  This makes the sound much more rythmic and sucks out most of the emotion compared to Vengerov/Rostopovich.  Disappointing.

Martin.

R-9904394-1488277103-6536.png.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Been listening to Currentzis version of Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony.  Something different.  No hint of bombast or syrupy sentiment that I hear on some other recordings.  Dynamics a bit extreme at times and also too much base.  Fantastic but not concert hall realistic detail.  Well worth hearing.

Currentzis-Tschaikowsky.thumb.jpg.6697d2a70010baad9fe804144461c543.jpg

Martin

• 10 months later...