IGNORED

'Beginner Streaming' for Macs

Hi There,

I'm a bit of a luddite, so forgive me if this is rather basic. I have a Macbook Pro and on it I have some lossless and many non lossless downloads. I also work on this computer.

Recently I have changed the layout of my work space, and my desk is 24 feet from my Havana Dac...First watt, and horns. I have an Apple Air Extreme that I'm using...There is also a RAID system on my Network, and I have a Time Capsule which I haven't installed.

I wondered what is the easiest way to stream music to my Dac...or if installing the Time Capsule next to it would get the job done...(I don't think so.) In any event, if you could point me in the direction of a fairly cost effective way to stream from my desk it would be most appreciated...I suppose I could seek out a 30 ft. usb cable.

Thanks much,

Fred

p.s. also, perhaps there is a dac that is in the same price and performance category as my Havana that has streaming built in...

You're correct that a Time Capsule can't connect to the DAC.

Have you considered installing a Mac Mini next to the DAC? That'll give you a high quality dedicated player. Wire (preferred to wireless) the Mini to the network and control it with the MBP from your desk.

There must be a post missing as your second response looks like you are responding to someone's comments but I don't see it. If this hasn't been mentioned I would certainly consider a Squeezebox Touch (http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745 ) It will allow you to stream files in wireless or wired mode up to 24/96 type. You also have the ability to listen to endless numbers of internet stations. I have one and have used all the earlier versions of the Squeezebox and find it a real pleasure to use.