IGNORED

Where to upgrade first? (+introduction)

Greetings!

I recently found the CA site in a roundabout way during my efforts to obtain higher-quality digital download music. You all seem to run a pretty decent and civil forum here so I thought I'd jump in, say HI and ask a starter question.

About me & my audio:

I've been picking up a few things from HDTracks, TopSpin, and a few other places. I'm enjoying a demo period of the MOG streaming service and may subscribe. I'll likely cancel my Pandora One sub. as it's only 192kbps and I can't pick tracks like with MOG.

Most of my stored music files are mp3/aac at 192 or better, with a few hours at 320, and another few hours in lossless formats. I've decided to dig my crates of CD's out of the closet and re-encode to Apple Lossless sometime before the end of next winter.

My music taste varies greatly - electronic/techno, rock, some jazz, vocal & acoustic, pop, rap, etc. I appreciate classical but own/listen to it very little.

Currently my setup begins with a Mac Mini booting from an SSD with a few external hard drives to contain media. The Mini feeds a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. Satellites on the desktop and sub under the desk. These speakers are several years old and have thousands of hours on them. I usually listen at low to moderate volumes. I now work at home all day, every day listening to this set-up.

I've seen the Peachtree Deco online and that looks like a really interesting product, but I'm not sure if it would be right for me, and it is more than I want to spend at the moment - particularly because I'd want to buy speakers to go with it.

Finally, the question:

If I was to plan an investment of $200-500 (US) where should I put it?

DAC? Speakers? Somewhere else? Save for the Peachtree or similar?

TIA!

I'd say that speakers have provided me with the most noticeable positive change in my systems. My co-worker has the ProMedia's in his office so I've heard them. fine for close field listening at the desk at low to mid volume. I think that you will have such a different experience with different speakers (with a greater response range). you can still stay with a powered speaker set up. I use older Blue Sky 2.1s in my home office. Search CA for powered/active compact speakers and you'll get lots of ideas in your budget, including Audioengine, Adam, KRK, Tannoy, M-audio, behringer, Swan..... Then save up for a DAC and/or preamp.

have fun. ed

IMO, speakers & amps are the main thing. Not much choice for both at your budget, but you might consider Audioengine A5's ($350-450). With the money left over, you could even include an HRT Music Streamer (DAC) for $150. Not a bad starter system.

rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

I'm going to have to agree with darascal and say that Audioengine A5s + a good basic DAC will really open you up to much of the audiophile experience. In fact, this was one of my very first moves into Audiophile-land and I was very happy with the setup for many years. I have even heard the particular DAC he mentioned and it is quite good indeed for that price point, so do look those up and give them some serious consideration. Interestingly enough I have my pair of A5s in a box in the closet tucked away in case of emergency, though I have also thought about selling them. It's kinda tacky, but in this case I can't resist offering them to you for a good price; just shoot me a message if you're interested. Good luck with your search!

dBlog; Consciousness, Music & Equipment[br]www.derekmccarty.com

another inexpensive DAC you might consider is the Nuforce which also doubles as a nice little headphone amp for about $125. However I would audition the A5s if I were you to make sure you love them. Powered speakers are perfect as long as you love the speaker part and don't want to upgrade them soon. If you do, you'll have to get a new amp at the same time.

By the way I own the littler Audioengine speakers; use them for just a tv/laptop sound setup and they're even very good sounding, so the A5s should be great.

Chris

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been looking around for places to go audition monitors, and it looks like Guitar Center is my best bet.

Unfortunately, I have not found any place around Rochester, NY to check out Swans (the finishes are very appealing to me).

Anyone have thoughts on the Swan M200MkII vs. M50W?

While I'm not opposed to headphones or IEMs on principle, I don't think they are the right solution for me. This is my working desktop I spend 6 to 12 hours a day in front of - comfort, convenience, and enough power to play loud while I pace around are key points.

This is my working desktop I spend 6 to 12 hours a day in front of - comfort, convenience, and enough power to play loud while I pace around are key points.

It doesn't sound like you do critical listening since you're working and the music system is part of your work system. I might not worry about upgrading at all if you're satisfied with your sound.

On the other hand if you're not satisfied with what you have (I have no idea how good your speakers are) you probably need a not so subtle change so I'd spring for significantly better speakers. A dac or amp will only make minor changes unless your stuff really sucks, which I'm guessing it doesn't.

I don't remember if your speakers are powered or not (I can't see your posts while writing). If not, a great option would be the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2. They're about $325 a pair. Otherwise the Audioengines are great, and even the smaller ones are really good for desktop applications.

• 2 weeks later...