IGNORED

Audiophilia in China

I will be spending the next year or so in China (Shanghai) and will take some minimal audio gear - Mac Mini with external drive, Peachtree Audio Decco2, and Grado headphones. This should all work well with the standard Chinese AC of ~220 V.

The beloved Theil speakers and other equipment must remain here in the US primarily for weight reasons. Does anyone know of a nice set of speakers that could be purchased in China for a reasonable cost or also some nice Chinese made audio gear that could be purchased there inexpensively?

If there are recommendations for good audio suppliers in Shanghai that would be welcome as well.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

There are tons of audiophile gear stores in shanghai carrying pretty much the same brands here. Many international brand like b&w has its own storefront in shanghai as well.

If you know some Chinese, you can always try www.taobao.com for those less popular products.

I'm moving back to Beijing next month and I'm shipping my peachtree inova, b&w cm1, and a turntable. I'm praying that they don't break.

The Aurum Cantus speakers are well thought of, and I personally own Antique Sound Lab monoblocks. The ASLs are expensive however. There are many Chinese amps that are good sounding. BADA makes some as do others. Do as you would anywhere-go and listen. Kindest regards, John Dozier

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at Chinese DAC/headphone-amps that are lightweight as I would want to ship them back to the US after a year. It may be less expensive than shipping my 25 lb. Decco2 there and back. During our time in Shanghai I will primarily be listening through headphones (Grado SR125i). Good sound quality remains important.

It will be fed from my Mac Mini from optical or USB.

The Matrix mini has been positively discussed on another CA forum. The Little Dot products look interesting as well. My target budget is $300-400. If anyone on this forum has owned or tested these, it would be helpful to get your opinions.

Also a small set of speakers that could easily (cheaply) be shipped back when we return would be great to hear opinions about.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I can't make suggestions about Shanghai because I didn't live there but the Chinese retailers with equipment that you are interested in will be grouped together somewhere. You need to find out where that is by asking your new colleagues. They will know immediately.

The scale of the operation will astound you. Down south, in Guangzhou where I spent 8 years, there are 2 entire city blocks containing a maze of shops ranging from mid-fi to ultra-top end equipment both imported and Chinese. There is no shortage of $$$ in China and Audio is huge there (if you've see Chinese TV, you'll know why).

Be prepared to spend 2 weekends at least. Go alone on a scouting mission the first time, if only to find your way around. Without any doubt, you will find speakers & amps to suit you aplenty so don't go with any fixed ideas. Chinese tube amps are everywhere in every configuration and the sound/$ is exceptional. You see only a fraction of those exported.

Chinese cables are worth looking at. Oftentimes you can buy interesting cable off a reel & the guy will put plugs of your choice on. Inexpensive way of tuning your sound.

Even if you have some Chinese, if you look foreign, you'll be paying top dollar. Either take a Chinese colleague for the purchase, or better, send them alone to do the deed.

The downsides (sorry if this is obvious):

1. Don't expect home trials. No-one trusts anyone. Listening condition are often less than ideal.

2. Buy brands that have been around 5 years. Ask.

3. China is 220V (ish). Get switched inputs if you take them to 110V countries.

4. Some of the transformers are (very) hand made. Check for noise.

5. Listen very carefully for RFI. I had a pair of Mingda monblocks that were radio receivers.

5. Do not allow the shop to deliver the gear to you. Once they have your money, the delivery is made by the cheapest quote so expect your gear to be treated like a sack of cement. Pick it up yourself.

6. The mains supply is atrocious. Factor in some conditioning gear.

Enjoy Shanghai!

There is a pretty pervasive, if not terribly well organized, community in Shanghai. I lived there for the past three years, leaving town about a month ago.

I went through a similar process before I moved there a few years ago and, accordingly, have a few suggestions.

I would take your Ref9s with you - they don't take up much space/have much mass and give you a lot more options if you decide to buy speakers. Plus, the are universal voltage.

The best dealer I know in Shanghai is Lino Faragi at SoundandVision. He carries exclusively imported brands (Linn, Bel Canto, Raidho, VTL etc.). Even if you are looking only to buy local gear, it is nice to have a "normal" hi-fi shop around. Lino is great guy and good to know regardless.

Also, in the general knowledge category, there is a group trying to put together an audiophile society: http://sashome.net/

As far as gear, I, too, left my big Thiel floorstanders at home. Ended up buying two pair of Mark & Daniels, a pair of Minis for my desktop and a pair of Sapphires for my bed room. They are made in Shanghai. You can get Daniel Lee's email from their website (http://www.mark-daniel.com/); I bought both my pair from him directly after auditioning in his studio. They are pretty unique loudspeakers, I fell pretty hard for them. To me, they're keepers.

I'll monitor this thread if you have any direct questions: good luck.

P.S. - the one thing that is almost impossible to find in Shanghai (all of China, I expect) are quality recordings. Bring all you can.

http://www.cattylink.com/news.html

This should be no problem at all, since a ton of products are made over there to start with. I am in Belgium and I bought a Jungson Duro Class A amp round the new year. I bought it from Cattylink, who are in Hong Kong. Very affordable and unbeatable price/quality ratio. Ordering and payment were flawless. Detract the shipping to EU and the duties and it gets better still. I am sure you will find local Shanghai suppliers also.

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...