IGNORED

iTunes strange behaviour with 24/96 files

Hi everybody, I'm trying to import in iTunes some 96khz 24bit aiff files, ripped from a vinyl disc, but seems there is no way to add them to the library. When I open them with iTunes or simply drag them in the application nothing happens... I've tried to convert the files in other formats like wav or alac with Max but without results. The strange thing it's that QuickTime and Decibel play the files without problem.

Does anyone already had this problem? There is any solution?

Are they tagged with unique meta data? I've noticed that iTunes won't allow me to import untagged files if there are already untagged files in the database. I had to tag the data first outside of iTunes and then imported.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I've tried the add to library menu command, same thing of the other ways.

I've tagged the files with Max before importing, I've not compiled all the tag fields but I don't think this could be the problem. The inly possible cause I could think at it's that I already have the same album in the library ripped from the cd, although I've imported the vinyl files with another album name...

I had a similar problem with an HDtracks download of Gaucho which exhibited some strange skips......HDtracks were great, they set up an additional download but I couldn't import that into the iTunes library whatever I did ...I should try deleting the original to see if the duplication is an issue but then I may end up with nothing ! I must complement HDtracks though...they allowed a download of an alternate album as well even though it is probably an iTunes problem.....Gaucho sounds amazing by the way.......

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

but have you tried quitting and reopening itunes? I seem to recall not being able to add to my library and a quit/restart or even a reboot fixed it. Can't be 100% sure I'm remembering correctly though.

Good luck

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

Just deleting the old version enabled me to add the new one....it may be a quirk with 24/96 files as usually when you try to add a duplicate track in iTunes it will ask whether you want to add or replace....not so in this case ....but Gaucho now plays fine.....

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

Neither restarting or reopening work... I've also deleted the album ripped from the cd but nothing to do.

I've reconverted the files from alac to aiff again and iTunes imported them finally! BUT they don't play...

In any case using Decibel script "Play with decibel" works.

I'm quite disappointed because it's my "Dark Side of the Moon" vinyl and I wish to hear it played through the new dac.

Anyway thank you for the replies.

EDIT: I did not see you ripped from vinyl in which case this may not work at all.

Rip in itunes, keep itunes open and while using finder, locate and highlight the folder that has the 24/96 album you wish to import into itunes. It should be where all your other music is BTW. If not put it there.

Drag folder to the word "music" in the upper left pane of itunes. Essentially you are dragging and dropping onto itunes. This will add it to the database and allow it to play. Works for me, I never use the add to library or import functions in iTunes.

Windows desktop, then I bring a USB thumb drive over to my MAC server for those songs/albums I want on the big rig (and use "add to library). I have all sorts of sample rates, from redbook to 24/384k (hundreds of 24/96k songs) and all of them play fine....whether they were vinyl rips, HDtrack downloads, DVD-Audio rips, etc. iTunes library handles all sample rates, so not sure what is going on, but doubt the cause is "vinyl rips".

I also have many others album in 24/96 sample rate and also dvd-audio and all play fine in iTunes. The strange thing it's that the files in question play without problems in other applications sych as Decibel. It's certainly a problem of iTunes rather than of my rip.